It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Free Newsletter

Best exercises for someone who needs to lose a lot of weight

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Best exercises for someone who needs to lose a lot of weight

Postby Melly21 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi!

I have a lot of weight to lose and I was just wondering what exercises would be a good starting off point? I am already doing some walking and some riding on an exercise bike but are there specific exercises I need to do help jump-start the process?

Any advice would be great thanks :)
If you don't start today, in a year you will wish you had.

First MG: 130cm
Melly21

Re: Best exercises for someone who needs to lose a lot of weight

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Anything that will get your heart rate up will be good. Don't over do it though. Try and vary it a bit so your body doesn't get too used to doing the same thing and just keep with it and you'll be getting smaller all the time!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Melly21 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for the advice!

At the moment I am planning of alternating riding an exercise bike with walking up and down the steps at my house, so that way hopefully by alternating the exercises my body doesn't get used to the exercise and just stops losing weight.

Plus I think the steps would make a really good cardio workout!

So.Unfit!
If you don't start today, in a year you will wish you had.

First MG: 130cm
Melly21

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 am

There is evidence that interval training is good for weight loss. So rather than spend 30 minutes doing cardio exercise at a steady pace you can alternate short bursts of high intensity exercise with slower paced exercise (Sydney Morning Herald: Fat burning - why working out trumps green tea)

The most important thing is to find a type of exercise that you enjoy. That way you're more likely to stick to it, which is the real secret behind weight loss. Metalcharm is right, that varied exercise is good. If you find yourself plateauing you probably need to change types of exercise so that your body doesn't get used to what you're doing and get too efficient at it.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby TerryMoran » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Hello friends,
According to my experience running is best for loosing weight. If a person run a hour for daily basis on morning, then it will must be help to reduce weight. Also there are a lot of [removed] are available on the market for loosing weight.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Drug spam link removed.
TerryMoran

Re: Best exercises for someone who needs to lose a lot of we

Postby yogibbear » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 am

I think if you are both overweight and unfit, the first part of starting to exercise is to increase your fitness. i.e. build up some body strength, endurance etc. etc. all the while losing weight so that you can then transition into more strenuous exercises. (yes this all sounds pretty logical, which it should be).

The worst thing to do would be to start out doing over the top exercise, getting injured and then not being to do anything for a few weeks. So starting with what you are doing is great as you will lose a few kilos and build up some fitness to then increase the workload each week. But i do agree that have a few different exercises to pick from helps to keep the motivation/enjoyment up while doing it.

For me i do the following: walking, squash, weights, boxing, cross-trainer. So depending on the mood i'm in i can do any of these and feel good about it.
yogibbear

Postby Anet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am

You may also try a water aerobics program, it is easy on joints and muscles, gets the heart rate up and burns calories which results in weight loss. I really like those exercsies
Last edited by CronicBadger on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed signature spam
Anet

Postby leenaRay » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

swimming n walk n body weight exerciser are best if u wnat to reduce weight in longer run remember that slow n steady wins the race
leenaRay

Postby mark1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 am

I suggest you running and swimming. Both are very useful in losing weight and they increase your stamina and keeps you fit. There is no comparison of running and swimming with any other exercise.
mark1

Postby Marina_J » Mon May 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Dancing, swimming and playing running sports are some of the best ways to exercise while having fun. Lifestyle modification is also helpful in losing the extra pounds.
Marina_J

Postby jingky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

First exercise for me is playing basketball I likes to play that game cause it helps me in maintaining my fastness in running,second is I like swimming Doing lengths up and down the pool for an hour will burn off 500 calories, and also tone almost all of my body.Stay motivated by giving yourself half an hour extra to make use of the Jacuzzi when you’ve finished!And that's my best exercise that I consider...
jingky

Postby Castillo8886 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Exercises are most essential for a best weight loss plan and there are lots of effective exercise for quick weight loss such as bicycling, rowing, jumping rope, running and swimming.
Castillo8886

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi there, I guess it depends whether you like being out and about when you exercise or like exercising at home. I love working out to dvds and have a large collection of them so that I don't get bored. I have found that interval training is the most effective for fast weight loss. Obviously it is about calories in versus calories out and I have found that if you do intervals of intense cardio activity with intervals of weight training, this is the best way to burn maximum calories and fat. I love doing the dvds because there are many that are based on this principal, which means I don't have to think to create my own workouts. I love some of The Firm dvds and Jillian Michaels from the biggest loser USA also has some great interval training ones.
Hope that helps :D
Linda Wooldridge

Postby Klusener » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I would like to say that exercises are the best source to maintain a good health and also helpful to lose weight to a great extent . I think The best exercises for losing weight are Cycling, Yoga, Swimming .
Klusener

Return to Exercise Talk