It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Free Newsletter

How much exercise do you think you should do in a week?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

How much exercise do you think you should do in a week?

Postby masm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:51 pm

I try to keep track of how much exercise I do in a week and I was wondering what you guys think it is good number to be doing? I generally do:

2 - 3 kickboxing classes and these range from 45 mins to 1.5 hours (depending on whether I am motivated to start early :oops: ),
FH and I try to do some sparring and pad work once a week - about 30 mins
I do another day of some kind of cardio - sometimes I run or do an exercise video
And then another day of weights

All up I try to only have 1 day a week off and I average about 3 - 6 hours a week, what do you think is a reasonable number of hours to be doing?

Should I be doing more weights work? My kickboxing incorporate situps and pushups etc and often if we do padwork it really works your arms so does this count?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:01 pm

wow you sound really fit! ive always read that doing exercise 3 times or more a week for about 30 minutes each time is beneficial for weightloss. but if you see its working for you and you are happy doing that then stick with it!

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Masm

I do cardio at least 5 days a week for a min of 40 mins and weights at least twice a week for around 45 mins including warm up and stretching. So I am doing around 5+ hours per week and have Saturday off as I do housework and shopping on that day.

I think your routine sounds great. I think the strength workout from the pads, pushups and situps should count and you may find you don't need to do any more weight work because of that. Just work out if you are working your whole body in the weights and if so only do more if you want to. Ultimately, ask yourself how you feel from it all. But it seems like a good amount to me.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby masm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Thanks Ladies. I guess I have hit a plateau so I was wondering if maybe I wasnt doing enough. :?

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 pm

Hey masm the do say 30 three to four times a week is beneficial . with plateau if u upped ur normal routine a little or change it slightly it may help .
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby milo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:54 pm

I do around 30 min areobic being dvd or bike and walk the dog for 20 min most days
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:25 pm

Hiya Masm :)

You might find that what you need to get you out of your plateau is some resistance training (weights). You do get a good workout for your chest, shoulders and triceps from those pushups at training, however using weights is great to build muscle, which speeds your metabolism up no end!

Try including 2-3 weight training sessions in each week. They don't have to be huge - just make sure you have a decent exercise for each major muscle group -
Legs (Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, or Leg Press)
Chest (Bench Press, Chest Press, Flys or Pec Deck)
Back (Lat Pulldown and Cable Row)
Shoulders (Shoulder Press, Lat Raises or Front Raises)
If you don't like doing weights, don't waste time doing things like bicep curls, tricep pushdown as they are used to assist the larger muscles in the weights exercises above. :)

You probably do a decent amount of abs in your kickboxing classes so I wouldn't worry about that.
Make sure you leave at least a day between weights sessions to allow your muscles to repair and rest.

Hope this wasn't information overload for you! If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to help :)

Return to Exercise Talk