It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Anyone done bootcamp?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone done bootcamp?

Postby masm » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm

Just wondering if anyone has done the bootcamp programs that are offered at many gyms now?

My kickboxing school closes down for a few weeks over christmas and I saw one of these bootcamp programs (12 classes for $135) and thought it might be a good opportunity to keep up some form of training and maybe lose some extras kilos??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
masm

Postby Mandie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:15 pm

I've never done one but I am DYING to try one.. my friend has done one and she said it is amazing.. you really see results and it helps kick start you into really pushing your body!

The instructors seem to be great at pushing people of all different levels.. it sounds awesome.

I'm going to try one next year, when I get back from my 3 month trip in March...

I hope you do one in the meantime, then you can tell me how it goes and which one in Perth is good! 8) :lol:
Mandie

Postby KimE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:35 pm

I haven't done one either but I see them happening regularly around where I work as there is a big park opposite the building I work in. They certainly seem to keep them moving and seem to have people of different fitness levels and different sizes in the groups. Give it a go.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby MissE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 pm

id love to do this, but i cant afford it with the amount i pay for my gym membership already LOL.
maybe when they runs out...
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby slimmindown » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:03 pm

I heard on the radio yesterday ,here in melbourne, that there is a group called melbourne personal trainers that run a 4 week program 3 times a week for any one to get back into it or keep up thier fitness levels, been meaning to check out the website below.

for anyone else who might like a look, I havent really looked around yet

http://www.melbournept.com.au/
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby kristina » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:59 pm

I love boot camps. I work so much better in the group situation.

I have heard some bad reports about some bootcamps, about how they expect too much from beginners.
kristina

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:15 am

kristina i agree ... i think id be too scared to try it- i have images on those poor kids in the fat camps in the usa!
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:47 am

I've done it for real in the Navy! And got paid for it lol.

I'm not one for group excercise so I hated it pretty much. Not an uncommon sight to see people vomiting by the roadside :( I'm pretty fit so I found that I wasn't really pushed that far... I just hated the ball sports, and got really put off when we went on runs and people were huffing and puffing right next to me (that reaaallly stuffs me up!). Oh and it was COLD. Nothing like jumping into sub zero temperature water, from a great height, before dawn, to get you going for the day.... NOT! (better end my rant here before I fill the page and put everyone to sleep :shock: )

If you are reasonably fit and enjoy excercising with other people then it would be great motivation though. Can't be that bad in civvy street lol. Go for it :wink:
SarahC

Postby masm » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:20 am

Im not too worry about it being too hard, some of my kickboxing sessions are really tough (our particular instructor is nicknamed "bootcamp"), its not unusual for us to do 50 pushups, situps, squats as a minimum plus burpees, lat raises, star jumps, sprints :roll: Senior level classes (one above me) - there is a rumour (substantiated by an instructor) that offer there is vomiting involved :? Gee cant wait!!

Anyway the one thing that puts me off is the partner stuff, hate it when you dont know anyone and then you have to find a partner :( Maybe I can convince someone to come with me! But if it is going to shift those last few kilos maybe I should just bite the bullet and go?
[/url]
masm

Postby KimE » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:27 am

Oh Sarah I thought it would have been a cinch for you after the Navy or was that what you were describing.

Masm what the heck is a burpee? Are you allowed to do bent-knee pushups? Lat raises, what is this? I'm thinking it's either lateral raises working the shoulders or some sort of exercise working the lats...just curious. One thing with the bootcamp your body may find it different enough to get you kick started again.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby masm » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Burpees - have a look here http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm - dont they look fun? :roll:

Lat raises you lay flat on the floor and lift your hands and feet up off the ground.

There is another one we do similar to burpees but I can remember what it is called where you squat with your hands between your knees and jump your feet out wide behind you and then back in again.

We have all kinds of other torturous things but I cant think of them all at the moment (I think I may have blocked them out :wink: )
[/url]
masm

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

wow, if you can do that in your kickboxing classes I'd say you could definitely handle bootcamp!

It sounds like it would be a good way to shock your body into losing those last couple of kgs.. let us know how you go!
Mandie

Postby KimE » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 pm

Handle bootcamp....Masm I think you could run one!!

How many of these burpees do they make you do?

You know what, I think I would burp doing something like that.

Will know from now on to run in opposite direction if burpees ever mentioned as a good exercise.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby masm » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Gee thanks KimE :lol: Not to sound arrogant but I am also kinda worried that bootcamp might be too easy :oops: I dont want to waste my money on something I could do at home on my own.

PS - maybe 10 or 20 burpees, depends how mean he is feeling :roll:
[/url]
masm

Postby KimE » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:15 pm

I'm beginning to think it might be too easy for you too.

Here's a thought, pay your instructor the $135 and see what exercise routine he can come up with. Although I think the phrase 'be afraid' springs to mind.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Talk