It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:19 am

Free Newsletter

Need to burn more calories

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Need to burn more calories

Postby natharas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey, I'm only burning 200 calories a day from exercise. I wan't to try and burn up to 500 per day, what else can I do to improve this. Currently I'm doing 5km walking per day and that appears to be it. I don't have a bike or a gym membership either, although I do have a weight set.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
natharas

Re: Need to burn more calories

Postby bethanyherman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Swimming is an easy way to burn 500 calories or you can get your hands on a skipping rope.
bethanyherman

Postby natharas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm

bethanyherman wrote:Swimming is an easy way to burn 500 calories or you can get your hands on a skipping rope.

Think we have a skipping rope, what should I am for time wise etc? Swimming, I can't get to the local pool due to work commitments
natharas

Postby Linda Wooldridge » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Have you tried running? I know, many people don't enjoy running, but if you take it slow, and work up to it you might end up loving it! You will burn twice the calories if you run your 5km, rather than walking it. So if you're taking an hour to walk the 5km and burning 200 calories you can run it in 30 minutes and burn the same 200 calories. Then just slowly increase the time you spend running. Pretty soon you'll be running for an hour and burning 400 calories. Good luck!
Linda Wooldridge

Postby natharas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Linda Wooldridge wrote:Have you tried running? I know, many people don't enjoy running, but if you take it slow, and work up to it you might end up loving it! You will burn twice the calories if you run your 5km, rather than walking it. So if you're taking an hour to walk the 5km and burning 200 calories you can run it in 30 minutes and burn the same 200 calories. Then just slowly increase the time you spend running. Pretty soon you'll be running for an hour and burning 400 calories. Good luck!

Hey thanks, I'm trying to work up to running. I've been struggling to jog when I do my walk on the treadmill. When I do get to go for a walk outside its with the puppy and that makes it hard to jog / run as he still likes to stop and smell everything every 50 odd metres.

Also from walking last week I scored some blisters or sores on my feet so did have to take a day off and not go as hard.
natharas

Postby bethanyherman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

natharas wrote:
bethanyherman wrote:Swimming is an easy way to burn 500 calories or you can get your hands on a skipping rope.

Think we have a skipping rope, what should I am for time wise etc? Swimming, I can't get to the local pool due to work commitments

How about your neighbor's pool? :lol: jk.

10-30 minutes a day of jump rope is a good start.
bethanyherman

Return to Exercise Talk