It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:21 am

Free Newsletter

Before or after a meal?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Before or after a meal?

Postby Rachael » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 am

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to change my fat little world and bought a treadmill for home.
Can someone help me with whether it is better to exercise before a meal or after a meal. I would have though before but I might be wrong.
Please help!!!!
Rachael :)
Rachael

Postby SarahC » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:34 am

Hi Rachael. I normally excercise before a meal, although I usually have something small beforehand. The reason being I find it very hard to excercise with a full tummy, as the food sometimes tends to repeat itself :oops: Also, there's something to look forward to at the end :D
SarahC

Postby Rachael » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks Sarah. I was trying to tell my boyfriend that and he thought I was wrong - trust the instincts I suppose. I am going to jump on tonight and have a nice long walk - perhaps even a jog.
Rachael

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:05 pm

Befor a meal is heaps better cause it puts certain stresses on our body when we are full
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby KimE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't think it really matters so long as we are not talking like 10 mins before or after. You definitely want to have some time between eating and then exercising and I think the recommended time is about an hour and I have always assumed this is because your body is breaking down the fuel consumed and getting it to where it is needed so it needs some time to do this without you giving it another set of instructions. Not much is said how long to wait after exercising before your next meal. I have read that you should also wait about an hour at that point as you body is still burning fuel and by eating you will halt the process. However, I do not know how true that is, there are all sorts of things you can read on the internet that may not be factual! :D

I do find after cardio done around lunch time I am ravenous and have my lunch usually within about 30 mins of completing the exercise. But then I eat every 2-3 hours so at that point I am good and ready for my next meal.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Jisgone » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:10 pm

My brother is a personal trainer and he says its best to excercise atleast 1 hour after you eat, and wait atleast 30 minutes after you excercise to eat again. Basically he said your body will work harder when its not using energy to digest food (thats why you wait an hour) and your body continues to burn energy at a higher level for atleast half an hour after you excercise, so if you dont wait the half an hour your body will just be burning the food you ate instead of the stored fat. I hope i didnt confuse anyone!
Jisgone

Postby SarahC » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:44 am

That sounds like a great rule of thumb Jewles... will keep that in mind :)
SarahC

Postby Neney » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:02 pm

I was watching "What's good for you" the other night, and they said contrary to popular belief, it's best to exercise before you eat. And when you eat afterwards included carbs (I know I was like WHAT?! :shock: ) because apparently if you eat a small amount of carbs straight away, it will burn off. If you don't your body will go into carb-starvation mode and every carb you do eat will be stored as fat as it thinks that you will not give your body anymore carbs.
Mini Goal - Reach Double Digits!! 99kgs

Neney

Return to Exercise Talk