It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:07 pm

Free Newsletter

cross trainers

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

cross trainers

Postby slimmindown » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Just a question for any one that uses a cross trainer. i am looking into buying one and would like to know any little things that are really important.
i gather that the program ones are better so you can change the intensity and do heart rate readings and programs.
I'm not sure of the better brands types etc.

The couple I looked at today were around 1000 dollars and were 7000's and 8000's(not sure what that represents)

you could change intensity and measure body fat and your heart rate ,they were smooth to use,and felt great in the couple of mins I tried them .

any suggestions/info would be much appreciated... 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby KimE » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:20 pm

You lucky ducky getting a cross trainer.

Well I thought I wouldn't be much help however I am a member of the choice mag online and I can give you a run down of what they recommended after test trials. In case you don't know choice do not get paid by the companies to test their products they buy them and test them independently so it's not just manufacturer rubbish.

They tested 8 machines and the top buy was the Healthstream HS9200E at $995. You can go to http://www.fitnessgeneration.com.au for more info on that one.

The others tested and in order of performance best to worst are as follows:
York X720
Infiniti ST950
Nature XE550
Proteus EEC 5550
Bodyfit 7200 Magnetic
Proform 900 Cardiocross
VMAX ET63800D

Obviously these are never a one size fits all but if you want more info on what to look for etc send me an email and I will see what I can get for you.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby slimmindown » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks Kim ,that info was great 8)
slimmindown

Postby SarahC » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:06 am

I've got the Infiniti ST890 at home and find it pretty good. I think I paid about $890, but I am certainly getting the use out of it so I guess it's okay. It's got magnetic resistance that you can change the intensity, heart rate monitors and it tells you stuff like speed, time, distance and calories. The only annoying thing is that it turns itself off if you leave it alone for too long so you need to remember all the details if you're having a break... or else race back quite quickly.

Just don't put it underneath a ceiling fan as I have done, as there is a horrible danger of cutting your head open if you are too tall :lol:

SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:57 am

LOL @ SARAH
kate_turner2000

Postby Tas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 am

I have the Platinum York Fitness one and it is great - it has all these different functions and monitors the heart rate.
Just one thing though, the first time I got on it I was worn out after 2 minutes and it took an age for my heart rate to drop - BUT within a couple of weeks I could stay on it for over 30 minutes - so please don't be disappointed if you can't stay on it for long OK?

Cheers
Maria
Tas AU
Tas

Postby slimmindown » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks for all yuor help guys , I will take down all those great tips when I go shopping again for mine, I cant wait actually :lol:

Sarah that is a great tip about the fan, I guess I might only make that mistake once :shock: :lol: :lol:
slimmindown

Postby Roar2Life » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:10 pm

I hate ceiling fans. I work as a packer/furniture removalist in the school holidays and last christmas I was doing a pack job and went out of the room to get boxes. The client thought it'd be a good idea to put the fan on because it was a hot day but I had deliberatley(sp?) not put it on because I needed to reach up high onto shelves. Needless to say I had a very sore finger that night :wink: but somehow didn't break anything(and the friggin' fan was metal!)
In a world full of people only some want to fly...
Roar2Life

Postby Groovychic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Whoops!!! Hope your finger wasnt sore for to long Roar. As for the cross trainer. I purchased mine mid October and have used it about 5 days a week. It is a York 1070p....hhhmmm I'm reading that off it now upside down in the dim light so I am hoping that is what it says.......hahaha!!! Anyway it has the programs and the heart rate etc. I like putting in the kms that I wish to do and having it count backwards, or the time. I don't tend to use the programs. I tried it once but didnt really like it. I just do level 1 for 3 mins, level 2 for 3 mins, level 3 for 3 mins, level 4 for 3 mins, back to level 2 for 1 min for a break, then up again. During level 3 the 2nd time around I let go of the arms to give them a rest and concentrate on the thighs. Gets the speed up and really works the thighs. If I have music on whilst using the cross trainer then I do 1 song for each level. But generally I watch sunrise while on it. Mind you the other day I decided to put a dvd on (RV with Robin Williams, which I did enjoy). I did about 45 mins on it that day as I was engrosed in the movie.......hahaha. So that isn't a bad way to do it. I thought about getting on it while I was watching Kenny but decided half way through to go for a swim instead. So maybe in the morning I will pop Kenny on! I spend 7 mins on the cool down. 3 mins on level 2 and then 3 mins on level 1 and then 1 min going backwards. Gotta unwind the string........hahaha!!! Going backwards works some extra muscles. I really enjoy the cross trainer but I loved the treadmill more. I really would love another treadmill. I hired 1 for 3 months but Frank wouldn't let me put it inside because of the floorboards so I had to have it in the garage and gee that is soooooooo boring! I put the radio on in the car but it was still boring. I went to my sisters the other day and she has the whole room set up as a gym. Exercise bike, fab (expensive) treadmill, weights and a punching bag. And she hardly uses it. When they built the house they built this room over the garage specifically for a gym. She has a tv in there with a dvd player as well. The house is worth about 1 and a half mill!!! Dont it make you sick!!!! Anyway my cross trainer was $750. Not sure if I got ripped off as I didnt look anywhere else I just decided while shopping one day it was a good idea. And I am happy with it. So that is all that matters. Now after rambling on you have all gone to sleep!!! Sorry guys! :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:31 am

hey rochelle :)

jeez id be heading your sisters to make use of the gym she never uses lol. saves on gym fees! haha
kate_turner2000

Postby Groovychic » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 am

I'd love to Kate but she is 70ks away!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby dancer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:19 am

Hi there, I bought one about 2 years ago and it is the best investment I have ever made.

I have the - PROT-EEC-3088 X-TRAINER MEGATON [2228]
I bought it from Sports Kinetics in Whitehorse Rd, Blackburn.

I only paid $799, but they have gone up to $1399. New Model.

Here's a link to their web page -
http://www.sportskinetics.com.au/catalo ... c46967e2f0

Good luck with it.

I have not had a moments problem. I recently bought an exercise bike too, which is great!
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Re: cross trainers

Postby Jacob-Oram » Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Sometimes purchasing a cheap clearance elliptical trainer can prove to be a risky investment. The elliptical cross trainer is a complex piece of fitness equipment that provides a variety of fitness levels to offer a low impact work out. For this reason, the elliptical trainer must be durable and well built. The elliptical trainer mirrors running and walking somewhat like a treadmill, however the difference is that instead of the foot coming down on a hard surface, the feet move in a smooth, seamless ellipse fashion like using an exercise bike. This eliminates a vast amount of damage to the knees, ankles and joints that a treadmill imposes.
Last edited by matchbox on Tue May 27, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: NO ADVERTISING PLEASE
Jacob-Oram

Postby erinjb » Tue May 27, 2008 2:04 pm

If it's cheaper to get one without the heart rate monitor, I wouldn't bother, they're ridiculously inaccurate. Likewise I wouldn't bother with the calorie counter.
erinjb

Postby MelissaW » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:12 am

just wondering guys...

i bought a cross trainer about a week ago (much more affordable than forking out for Fernwood) and i was wanting to know if there are any variables to the conventional method that would assist with targeting different areas, it's good to know you can use it in a reverse pedelling action (that was a new one for me) but is it possible to for example, lean forward to target the arm areas etc? or am i going to break it lol!

would love to hear some different feedback :)
MelissaW

Next

Return to Exercise Talk