It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:18 am

Free Newsletter

Walking with weights & other exercises

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Walking with weights & other exercises

Postby MZTEGN » Sun May 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Hey guys!

So I've been walking at least 3 times a week doing 3+ km's at a time. I want to increase this to atleast 5 times a week but I was just wondering.
I know the higher muscle mass you have the more calories you burn and while walking is good there is still more I could be doing. We are thinking of buying bikes so we break it up a bit BUT I was wondering if anyone has tried walking with weights? I heard somewhere that you can get some the strap around your ankle & arms us I know you can buy the little hand held ones. Has anyone done this & noticed a difference? And does anyone know where you can buy the strap on weights from?

Also - does anyone have any exercises they like to do whilst at home? I am looking to get an exercise bike so I can ride during the ads or my tv shows but are there any other simple ones that get the heart pumping? I should do sit ups & squats but they sound so painful!
MZTEGN

Re: Walking with weights & other exercises

Postby Metalcharm » Mon May 21, 2012 4:58 pm

They might sound painful bit give them a go!
Even if just during the ad breaks get off the lounge and do squats, lunges, situps, dips and so on for a few minutes and you can build it up. Even just do a few of each and you can gradually do more.

As for walking I prefer not to use weights but I found this for you as a reason why
Should I use hand weights while walking?

No! The risk far out weigh the benefits. Hand weights can be a great part of your fitness routine, but use them separate from your walk. Carrying weights will not provide the resistance needed to tone your muscles; but can increase your blood pressure, place strain on ligaments and tendons and may contribute to joint problems. You will actually be able to walk faster without carrying the weights, therefore getting a better workout.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/faq.html
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby MZTEGN » Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Haha after posting this I did my own research and the more I read the more I found the t research suggests that ankle weights are a big NO NO but the little hand held ones are actually a pretty good thing.
I am gonna go for a walk again tonight and I'm seriously wanting to get back into the pool and do some laps a couple of times a week. I used to swim on a weekly basis and even competitively so I know I love it!

What are some other exercises people are doing to fit in with our crazy lifestyles!?
MZTEGN

Postby Metalcharm » Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I have a punching bag that is great to belt the crap out of after a frustrating day ...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Pav » Wed May 23, 2012 4:10 pm

My wife has some ankle/wrist weights at home and honestly she Has probably used them once. The main thing here is to keep your motivation up and enjoy walking so you keep doing it. I like listening to podcasts or music when I go for a walk and it makes me look forward to it. If you want to build some muscle mass or just exercise at home then both squats and pushups are really good. I know people like to do situps but I'm pretty tall and I get a sore neck and back so I don't bother.

Getting a bike is an awesome idea. I love cycling but found riding inside on the trainer to be both boring and incredibly sweaty - make sure you're in front of an air conditioner or fan! Cycling is excellent for cardio fitness and great for burning fat.

Also if you can get in the pool that is absolute gold. I used to swim 45mins each morning and it's incredible how quickly you will improve but I find it hard to consistently get to the pool!

I think what you're doing at the moment is fine so keep going on your walks 3+ times per week and enjoy them. In regards to strength training it can be painful but your body adjusts. I have been consistently strength training for about 15 months now and you actually begin to crave it. You know the muscle pain you get when you do strength training? Well it's only THAT bad the first few times. If I take a couple weeks break from the weights and then get back into it I'm seriously out for 4-5 days after my first workout due to muscle pain. Once your muscles are conditioned and used to being worked regularly the pain is far less crippling and lasts 1-2 days.

Best of luck!
Pav

Postby SydneyPT » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

For the average person looking to lose weight, ankle and wrist weights are pointless. You are better off jogging.
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Return to Exercise Talk