It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Free Newsletter

Bike Riding

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Bike Riding

Postby Tea85 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:52 pm

So I'm thinking about buying a bike..... Is this a good form of exercise?? Seems more like fun to me lol but want to add to my daily walking of 30-60 minutes a day. Would a 60 minute ride be a benifit?
Tea85

Re: Bike Riding

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 pm

A HUGE benefit!
I bought a bike a few months ago due to having knee problems and I love it. It gets your heart rate up higher than walking will ever do.
You can make it harder by using higher gears, finding hills or cycling on a windy day :D

You don't have to spend a fortune on a bike either. I bought a Trek 3500 mountain bike and got thicker tyres and tubes (needed for where I ride) and it was about $400. After seeing bikes for hundres and even thousands more I asked why this one was so cheap and he said it just didn't have features that I wouldn't use anyway. Sounded good. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Tea85 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks Metalcharm!! That's good to know :) I will definitely look into it some more then....

I live out of town and it's fairly rocky so hardy bike is a must. My driveway is 1.1kms long coming back I would be going up hill so I'm sure I'll know it then!! The area I want to travel on the bike is a total of 8.2ks I wonder how long that would take me?? Only one way to find out I suppose!! I'm off to find the perfect bike for me :)
Tea85

Postby Blitz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:53 pm

How long will it take? That depends on how fast can you pedal! :lol:

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7
Lost: 87kg
Now Keeping it off for life!
Was: 153.7kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Good luck :D
Let us know if you get one :)
I am out of town too and my tracks are really sandy but I tend to go out to the main road and ride on that. (I'm pretty remote so seldom see any traffic ) The road is dirt and while it isn't rocky it is pretty bumpy and my bike holds up really well.

I find that if I ride along without putting too much into it it takes about 4 minutes per kilometre. My main ride is about 24 km and my best time was about 75 minutes.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Tea85 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Lol Blitz! Have to see if I can pedal at all!! I haven't been on a bike since I moved to QLD at 13:shock:

Metalcharm - 24kms OMG! Lol that's like riding into town from my place!! I think that might kill me!! Let's start off with 8kms see how I go with that. Being a mum of 4 I am kept fairly busy, I usually only get an hour to myself in the morning and sometimes a bit of time in the afternoon depending on the footy season and touch footy season!!

I am very excited by the idea of adding a bike to my daily exercise though. I'm loving being more active and it's not as hard as I thought. I love my morning walk its peaceful and really wakes me up ready for the day.
Tea85

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 pm

I love bike riding! Haven't done any recently because my elbows hurt really badly (I have a bad habbit of locking my arms straight that I can't get out of!). To counteract this, I've decided to get a Beach Cruiser bike as the handles are a lot higher so no chance of me locking my arms straight! Very excited about that - they're soooo cute!! :)

SW - 99.6 (4th Sept 2012)
CW - 79 (15th March 2013)
GW - 70 ( or a comfortable size 12!!)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Tea85 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Love love that bike so cute!!

My road would eat it alive though :(
Tea85

Postby Blitz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 am

The most important thing to consider is the seat. You will have soreness in your seating area when you first start (ok; your legs too but your butt is going to be what you will hurt the most). Your bottom will toughen up over time but help yourself at the start by finding a good bike seat and pad your bottom with thick clothes. The lycra gear will wait until you get your bottom bike ready. :lol:

Its a great form of exercise and gives you a real sense of freedom as you whizz past the world. Go for it!

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7
Now Keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby misk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 pm

I bought a bike 2months ago to add it to my workout options and as others have said above it is a great workout. Within a few minutes of peddling I can feel my heart pounding and even after just 30mins I am sweating, panting and my legs are burning! But definately agree with getting a great seat! My bike was a Target cheapie and the seat was horrible so I went out and bought a delux seat, was still only $30, it made all the difference!

Ty-Gwyn I am completely jealous of your bike, wish I'd got a cruiser bike, I find leaning forward uncomfortable after a while and my arms hurt. Looks like a cool bike!
misk

Postby MissK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 am

Im contemplating getting a bike also.
Would it be harder to ride up a hill or walk?? Either way my legs will hurt haha!
I live on I guess, normal roads, so to save some money would a second hand bike be an option?
MissK

Postby NOC » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Kim is right on the mark, finding a good comfortable seat is the way to go.

I ended up buying a Meridia matts-20 mountain bike, I love it. I definitely feel it after an hour up and down the hills...
Matt

Was: 127kg
Current: 123.4kg
Goal: 90kg
NOC

Postby Blitz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I was in a bike shop the other day getting my back tyre fixed. While I was waiting I noticed a smorgasbord of seats for sale! Guys - there's a seat for every know bottom of mankind out there! :shock: :lol: No excuses - get on your bike! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps Great service in bike shops. Friendly, helpful and fixed up my tangled gear cables for free. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby Sarah91 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Amazing! Biking is awesome way to exercise and sweat out. It is more fun to have a real bike than the stationery bike huh. I am considering to buy one but I don't know how to bike haha.. I should be determined to learn so I can give up my stationery bike, what do you think, guys?
Sarah91

Return to Exercise Talk