It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:17 am

Free Newsletter

Exercise recommendations needed.

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercise recommendations needed.

Postby az81 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:43 am

For the past 13 weeks I have effectively been using walking as my daily form of exercise.

Lately however, I believe my body has become accustomed to this, and my weight loss is slowing down. Therefore, I feel it is time to move on to something new, I'd like some recommendations for new exercises to try.

I've been told to give resistance training a try, but this may prove expensive with either gym membership or home equipment.

I was riding my bike for a while, but found that I had to work twice as hard for the same result. I've considered looking into aerobics.

Is there anything else I should consider?

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Re: Exercise recommendations needed.

Postby Blitz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Resistance work will develop muscle which will give you long term benefit but short term the muscle gain will mask your weight loss on the scales.
At your current weight I would recommend that you improve your general fitness.
Particularly increasing your lung capacity would be good. Swimming is great for that.
As I said elsewhere you may not see it on the scales but it will help your other exercise activities - especially as you increase your intensity in walking (and running) and biking.

I never joined a gym (and still haven't) so don't think you need to in order to lose weight.
Work on increasing intensity on what you are doing currently.
Obviously these are activities that you enjoy/can tolerate.
For me I started with a ten minute walk. As that got easier I increased it's length and duration. Always with the idea of pushing the boundaries (without breaking the body in the attempt). When I developed a hour walk or so walking circuit I would time myself to see if I could finish quicker each time. After a while I would find myself attempting a run on the homeward leg. I would run between the distance of two light poles, then walk as long as it took to catch my breath and then run between two other light poles. Once I got more fit I would run one set of poles, walk the next set and so forth. Then one glorious night I found that I could run all the way home. Pretty soon after that I was running the whole circuit.

Think about getting an exercise bike. I have found that they can give some real bang for buck calorie burning wise. There really is no need to spend a fortune on a new bike either. Check out the second hand option. It is the sort of thing people buy and end up not using. I got a reasonable good one at a hock shop at a fraction of the price that a new one would cost. The bike before that was given to me by someone who wasn't using theirs.
The good thing about exercise bikes is that it is real easy to push up the intensity level once you get "comfortable". Also if it is raining/hot/cold etc outside you still can get on the bike and put in the work.

As for a regular bike...find the hills and climb them. My rule is no matter how steep the hill is - the butt stays on the seat. That will give your legs a good workout!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby az81 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Blitz wrote:Work on increasing intensity on what you are doing currently.

I tried that, but it didn't work.

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:31 am

You can always increase intensity...and it will always work - sooner or later the chooks come home to roost!

With fitness more effort (and/or time) is needed to expend energy (calorie burn).
Don't underestimate variation in your exercises (both different activities and intensity).
Not every day is/was a full "flat out" day for me.
I found it useful to have an "easy" day (well - an easier day) followed by a normal one and then a heavy day (really pushing it) and then back to easy (easing up from the previous tough day) etc.

I also used that pattern when exercising. I always started slow and gradually worked my way up in intensity.
I did this for three reasons. Firstly, the slow start was my warm up and helped me get my rhythm and technique right.
Secondly, you finish with your metabolism really revving and lastly - it felt really good when you finally stopped! :shock: :lol:

Intensity is created by putting in more effort and/or more time.
You have to put in more drive and/or prioritise your hours.
Music can help supply the energetic drive when one is feeling at low ebb.
For me songs with great loud driving beats like the Angels' Take a Long Line or inspirational songs like Bowie's "Heroes" can get my legs pumping until I'm powering up a hill and climbing to the top rather than limping to a stop!
Some days when the energy lagged and intensity just wasn't there I would plod along at a steady pace but stay out a longer time.
I would end up burning the same amount of calories but it would take me longer - at least that way I didn't burn myself out but did the work.

The source of all intensity is founded in attitude.
It always get backs to the brain where character is forged.
It is character that begats the right attitude and supplies the ultimate drive.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Exercise Talk