It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Free Newsletter

Pilates

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Pilates

Postby yummymummy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 am

I have been intrested in starting pilates for a while now because I have a bad back weak tummy muscles and my pelvic floor aint what it used to be :!: Does anyone do it ? how many times a week do you go? What do you think of it? Is there a cheaper alternative to do it? Im not motivated enough for a exercise video and physios that have the equipment charge a small fortune Any ideas??
Thanks
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby lollilova » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi!

I have a DVD called 10 minute solutions. It has ballet, pilates, yoga, boot camp, kickboxing on it and it is really good. Because all the programs are only 10 minutes its easy to do and stick to it. I was never into the home video - jump around like a moron thing until I tried this one.

I found the Yoga to be better for my back as it is really hard to hold some of the positions in pilates. But as you get better it will become easier.

Hope this helps.
Bianca x

lollilova

Postby hushpuppy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:52 pm

i did some pilates a while back and i should have kept it up . Afterwoods it felt like some one had streched me and my posture was so much better . I suffer from lower back prob and it helped me greatly
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby SarahC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:14 am

I haven't done a whole lot, but it was pretty good when I did go. Definitely helps with the posture and you feel a lot stonger, and more relaxed, after doing it. I went to a gym that had classes (included in the membership - some charge extra!). I have a DVD at home which I have used once lol. It's a matter of finding the time :oops:
SarahC

Postby KimE » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 pm

I intend to do it twice a week but almost never make it. I use an exercise DVD but then I have the motivation for these so it works for me. The reason I don't do it very often is I do so much other exercise that this barely gets a look in.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:17 pm

I actually got a video and found it really helped my back also. I'm not doing it lately as I lent it to my mum, who is struggling after 4 C sections to do even mimor sit ups as the muscle just isn't there - but she's working on it.

I did quite enjoy it though. I still get stomach work out on my bike (cycling outdoors works many more muscles than just your legs and it has toned my arms no end)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Kittie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:02 pm

I have a pilates DVD which I try to do about once a week as the next day after doing it my tummy is so sore and even my ribs that it hurts laying down or sitting up LOL

I find it is good and it's not that hard to do.
Kittie

Postby madeline » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 pm

I went last Thursday for the first time... it's good but I find it's hard for me to do several of the movement because I have a bad lower back... there was one particular move where you lie down and then sit up by using only your abs, that I had to give up on because beyond a 30 degree angle I got shooting pains down my back and I didn't want to not be able to walk after. I also found it hard because I needed to watch the instructor, and that meant lifting my head the entire time, while the instructor had hers flat on the mat the entire time so I felt I was doing it all wrong. I think I prefer aerobics and step. I might give yoga another shot though, not for WL, just for relaxation.
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 pm

pilates is really good for you back, but you MUST use proper form, otherwise you can hurt yourself. Talk to your instructor so they can give you apropriate exercises.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby electrongirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:12 pm

I have a really bad back and go to physio and remedial massage reguarly and I asked about Pilates and they both told me to make sure I go to a class held by a properly trained pilates instructor as like Butterfly Dawn said, you can actually do more damage if you do it wrong.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby dietcoke » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 pm

I have about 4 or 5 pilates DVDs and I alternate then depending on my mood. I do them almost every day (when I'm a good girl). Today was abs. Tomorrow will be Upper Body and if I have time I'll do a 20mins work out as well. I've never had a formal class but my mum and sister go every week.

Form is definitely important. When I was doing it before I felt stronger and could feel really cut abs (under a thick layer of fat of course) but my lower back was bad. Now I find that if I take the time to do it the right way I have NO back pain what-so-ever and when I walk or whatever I automatically have my stomach mucles pulled in and my posture is much better.

Toning up with pilates is actually pretty quick too. Much quicker than other reistence exercises I've tried.

I say give it a go and if it's not for you then you can just try something else.
dietcoke

Return to Exercise Talk