It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Burning Kilojoules

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Kilojoules

Postby emma21 » Mon May 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Do overweight people tend to burn more or less kilojoules when exercising than a person in their 'healthy weight range'? A lot of articles I have read only give the amount of kilojoules per half hour burned by a 70kg person - not an overweight person. Or is it more to do with how the muscles are used?

:roll:
emma21

Postby Maraver » Mon May 23, 2005 2:53 pm

Welcome Emma
I would have thought over weight people would burn more but not really sure
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Burning Kilojoules

Postby Ed » Tue May 24, 2005 9:59 am

Hi Emma,

Heavier people do burn more kilojoules per minute than their lighter counterparts when exercising at the same intensity simply because they are carrying more weight.

To get an idea of how much visit the Daily Calorie Needs Calculator in the tools section of this site ( http://www.weightloss.com.au/Tools/BMRCalc.htm ) and just change the weight variable and repress the calculate button.

The differences between the calories per day figures will be a combination of the extra calories needed to maintain a heavier body and the extra calories burned during exercise/activity.

I have some specific figures in the office about weight and calories burned during exercise that I'll post here for you shortly.
Ed

Kilojoules burned

Postby Ed » Tue May 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi Emma,

I've decided to do one better than get back to you with the specific information about weight and kilojoules burned equations; I'm going to put a chart on the website that gives you this information for a range of activities and a range of body weights so everyone with the same question can find the answer quickly and easily.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

I'll let you know when the chart has been added to the site.

Thanks again.
Ed

Postby emma21 » Tue May 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks Ed. I'm sure lots of people will benefit from the chart. I know I will :D
emma21

The chart is up on the site

Postby Ed » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:36 pm

Emma,

as promised, I've put some exercise energy charts on the website that you can use to estimate how many kilojoules or calories you're burning when doing various forms of exercise for 30 minutes.

The charts have Kj's and Cal's burned for people weighing 50, 100 and 150Kgs and also a Kj's and Cal's burned per kilo so you can multiply this figure by your weight to come up with a estimate for your particular weight.

Check it out under Weight loss > Tools > Energy Charts or click this link:
http://www.weightloss.com.au/Tools/EnergyCharts.htm

Hope it helps!
Ed

Postby emma21 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:07 pm

Thanks Ed... this will be very handy! :)
emma21

Return to Exercise Talk