It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

Jogging Information

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Jogging Information

Postby KimE » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:02 pm

This is a continuation of a discussion started in the exercise diary thread...

Thanks Emma, Bluebox and Sarah great to have your input. I really find I enjoy jogging and it is one of the few exercises I almost crave which is wierd. I believe I have the cardio fitness to do a lot more than I am it's just getting the body used to it. I remember the first time I tried to jog like Sarah I couldn't even do one lap and I had been using the cross trainer regularly at this stage so I thought no problem this should be a cinch...yet somehow it is a very different kind of exercise even though the cross trainer is a full on cardio workout, it doesn't really prepare you for jogging like I thought it would.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Ooh yeah, Jogging is something different alright! I thought the same, because I'm good on the bike, cross trainer and rower, I thought I'd have no issues with jogging! But it really is a shock to the system!! I actually started running in my Kickboxercise class where we do a circuit type thing including running laps of the room. That helped to improve my fitness sooo much! The first time I tried to jog on the treadmill I managed 20 mins at 8.5km! I was so proud :D

I had the WORST first experience with jogging though. During my fitness course I mentioned to a lady who I was doing the course with that I was curious about jogging. At this point I didn't do ANY cardio at the gym, just weights, cos I was at a really crappy gym. Anyway, this lady was like "Oh, I'll take you out!!! I love to jog". Anyway, she made me jog on the footpath around the block for 10 minutes without stopping. I was DYING, could not catch my breath and was spluttering and trying desperately to slow down and she kept yelling "NO!!!!" and dragging me along by my arm.
It was HORRIBLE!!! That put me off for months!!!

The best thing to do is to just DO IT YOUR WAY!!! If you can only jog for 30 seconds before you need to walk to calm your breathing down for a minute, do it that way!! Just try to jog again as soon as you catch your breath.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:33 pm

how fast should jogging be? because sometimes i see people 'jogging' and i think man thats more like a run!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Just depends on the individual, Kate :) Those people you see running are probably serious runners and compete in events and constantly try to better their running times etc... Jogging is jogging as long as it's quicker than a power walk, really!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 pm

makes sense to me :) just need a really good bra! maybe i should tape my boobs down lol
kate_turner2000

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Hahaha Kate! Its the one problem I have with jogging, tho I do enjoy it. I put on the tightest damn sports bra that I have when I do it, such as today. I think the problem that we have when we start jogging is the fact that we are pounding our bodies more. The cross trainer is a fairly smooth motion and is quite different to the jogging. I havent jogged in about 8 months until today. I did enjoy it but could only manage short bursts. Which was fine because I was doing interval intensity anyway. I was nearly dead by the time I got to my final cool down but I did enjoy it. Thank gawd tomorrow is a rest day tho!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:52 pm

I hear duct tape is good for boobs to be strapped down with...no movement then!! :P :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:41 am

LOL yeah I have a super sports bra like Rochelle and I prefer to wear tight tops for exercise so that adds another layer.

You're right Em it is a whole different kettle of fish. That first experience sounds absolutely hideous. Poor thing...she probably thought she was being really motivating and helpful too.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 am

I know this is going off the jogging topic, but I will comment on that in a minute.....but I am sick and tired of not being able to get a good sports bra!! There is no encouragement in that area for big people to have a bit of comfort while they are exercising!!! The only ones I have been able to find makes your boobs look like a speed hump and it doesn't restrict movement at all....just looks like an earthquake is rolling over your chest!! I would love for someone to invent a bra that has the supportive cups with the sports bra backing in big sizes.....I wrote to a bra company once about it and got the reply that "we dont' deal in that kind of market" What the..?

Ok rant is over........now to jogging

On the show "what is good for you" they were doing a segment on jogging and although it is harder on your joints than any other form of exercise it is also one of the best for you as they explained when you jog for 15 minutes it is the same as walking for 30 minutes and it is apparently a good all over cardio and fat burn workout!!! When I can run without applauding myself (some of you will know what I mean :wink: ) I will certainly be giving it a go!!!

Keep up the great work girls!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks for that info Ally!. I agree on the sports bra front they need to have them for all sizes.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Re: Jogging Information

Postby laura » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:30 am

KimE wrote: I really find I enjoy jogging and it is one of the few exercises I almost crave which is wierd.

I feel the same :roll: , I get very excited once my husband arrives home, I'm not interested in dinner anymore, I just want to go to the gym and get on the treadmill.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Urgh yes, boob-bounceage sucks!!! The best one for myself that I've found is from Target!!!
So annoying, I've lost 17kg and only gone from a 14DD-E to a 12D-DD!!! I wanna see me in a C cup!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:14 pm

Unfortunately my body is just not made to jog. I can be jogging for 5 min and fine on the cardio front, but my legs all cramp up and go spazomy no matter how much stretching and warm up I do. And there's the boob thing.

I think I'm just not built to be a jogger... but I could cycle all day.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Image hey ally they had them on oprah the other day... maybe you can check out her website for the link to the manufacturer?
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:13 pm

mums not home but i do believe she taped that episode, was it the episode where oprah ate those chocolate icy pole things?
Jisgone

Next

Return to Exercise Talk