It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:29 am

Free Newsletter

Saunas

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Saunas

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 am

I've recently been having a go of the sauna at my gym. I'm pretty sure that it's good for me... I think it's because of the sweating that eases fluid build up and purifies the skin somehow. Does anyone have any info on the benefits of saunas?

Also, how long should you stay in there for? I'm a bit afraid to stay in too long after I heard the news the other day about a little 2 year old dying in a hot car. They said the temperature inside the car could have been over 80 degrees... and that's how hot the sauna is :shock: (The little girl had a heat induced cardiac arrest :cry: )

Is it a good thing to get out and have a cold shower and then get back in? What does that do for you (besides cool you down!)?

Sorry I ask a lot of questions :oops:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 am

i was told from a swimming instructor that its not good to go in the sauna and then have a shower due to the range in temperatures or something...
pregnant women have to stay out of saunas and spas because of their high temperatures
here is a link about saunas- apparently there are different kinds...
http://www.usenature.com/article_sauna_steam.htm
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:23 am

I love saunas they are so relaxing, dont know much about them tho
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Lols » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Im lucky enough to have parents that have a sauna and live around the corner from me. We take the portable DVD player in (im suprised it can handle such temps! but mum reckons its fine) and watch dvd's while in there ..... mum is out after 30mins I usually spend 45mins in there. Its an electromagnetic field (or something like that) not a steam one.... apparently got plenty of health benefits (my dad has listed them to me cos he's planning to sell them) but to tell you the truth i dont really feel that much differnet after.
Lols

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Wow 45 mins! I think the longest I've stayed in so far has been 20 mins (two lots of 10 mins lol). How great to have your own... I have to share the one at the gym with all the sweaty guys, yuck! It is a regular steam one, not the trendy new infra red ones. I've heard the ads for them on the radio though.

Thanks for the link Kate, it was a good read :)

Well even if the benefits are somewhat dubious, at least it forces me to lie down and relax for a bit :roll:
SarahC

Return to Exercise Talk