It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:56 am

Free Newsletter

anyone been to a Solarium??

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

anyone been to a Solarium??

Postby tamonline » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:53 pm

I am debating the idea of going to a solarium.
i tan "uptop" very well but the rest of me barely sees daylight. & beacuse i am losing weight i am showing more skin
has anyone been to a solarium. how long should i bake in there..will i go bright red..whats all this about excellerant lotions & how long will it take to get some kind of colour

any ideas??

Postby Green_Butterfly » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 pm

hey tam, i went to the solarium last year- bought a ten visit card...and only went about 4 times because i am lazy and couldnt be bothered...but in those 4 visits i did get a bit of colour. they tried to sell me accelerator when i went, but i have heard its just a fancy name for i didnt buy it. i get spray tans now, actually i am getting one tomorrow. they suit me more because its an instant tan, and no dangerous rays. it takes to my skin well so it usually lasts about 10 days which is handy for hols etc.

give the solarium a go if your willing to go every second day or so.
let us know how you go!

Life's a garden, dig it!!!

Postby tamonline » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 pm

hey thanks for that.
i guessed the excel stuff was just overpriced moisturizer so i wont be adding that to my bill
i am not working at present so i have time to go a few times a week
so i think i will give it a go
i had a spray tan once, i chose the darkest shade & the first 2 days we looked like swiss tourists but by the 3rd day the tan peeled off around our hard skin areas & we looked like 3rd degree burn victims.
i will go down tomorrow & check it out

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 pm

i found the accelerator worked, i used it with and without and found my skin felt alot warmer once i got out when using the accelerator and i tanned alot faster
i tan really easily tho so im lucky!

Postby tiffanyp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:38 am

I would never use a solarium because of the dangers of skin cancer. Solariums are really bad for that!
Also, I suffer from dry skin and when I used to go (in my late teens) it used to sting my skin!! That cant be good!

I use fake tan, the one which is a body lotion, but has a small amount of self tan in it. It brings a really natural colour, you dont have to wait for it to dry and is slowly builds a tan.... And it is cheap!

Cant remember the damn name of it though... when I do I will post it on here! :shock:

Tiffany :D

Postby SarahC » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 am

I try to get to a solarium for a few sessions before I go on holidays, to get a bit of colour and to get my skin used to the sun after being covered for so long. Unfortunately fake tans don't work on me because of the amount of sweating that I do... strange patterns start to develop :lol:

When you go to the solarium, they should give you a skin assessment / questionnaire to determine your skin type, and then they will tell you how long you will be in there for (no decision making on your part!). I find that I get a bit burnt the first time, but not so much after that.

Not sure about the accelerator as I've never used it.

Postby tamonline » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Ok i braved it & went in today for my first session. the lady gave me some accelerant lotion to try & told me how to operate the bed.
i stripped down put the lotion on & lay on the bed. i set the machine to the way i wanted & pressed start.
man how easy is this i thought..not warm at all & the lights dont even glow as much as i thought. I was told i would be on 6minutes so i lay there lapping it up thinking why did it take me so long to do this.
next minute there was this voice in my ear with loud music in the back ground & it got bright as hell in there..i literally hit the roof..i kid you not & S^&% myself big time.
i lay there stunned & motionless for what i guess was 6minutes & when it shut down i was dresed & back at reception quicker than you can say "paris hiton is tanned for real"
i told the girl what had happened & she said thatshe forgot to turn the machine on & i had been laying there on a cold bed for 10minutes at what an experience.

So gullable me booked again on saturday morning for another 6minute session, this time i will wait till the lights come on.
i got a little red along the top of my nicker line & thats it...

"what a day"

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:13 am

LOL i had a good laugh at that hahahahahaa.

how much did it cost you?

Return to Exercise Talk