It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Free Newsletter

8 seconds to fat burning success?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

8 seconds to fat burning success?

Postby workinprogress » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi All,

Just was watching the news and according to researchers at the Uni of NSW they've discovered a new way of boosting fat burning through exercise. Apparently if you exercise flat out for 8 seconds and then slow the intensity for 12 seconds (do this repeatedly) and do this for 20 mins you burn 6 times more fat then you would doing exercise for a longer duration but moderate pace.

Researchers aren't sure as to why this works but theorise that the body is forced to release particular chemicals as the metabolism is raised by the higher intensity, these chemicals are responsible for burning more fat.

I'm going to test this theory out. For the next couple of weeks I'm going to ditch my 45mins on the cycling/rowing machine and I'm going to go with this way of exercising for 20 mins a day and see how I go. I'll keep you all posted with my results.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:40 pm

HI kristina

i also saw this on the news tonight- its quite fascinating and it made me realise i do this suconsciously on the exercise bike anyway. but now will be more aware of it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey Kristina I saw it too!! I think it will be interesting to see the results of your trial!! Keep us updated please!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:51 am

I saw it too Kristina :D It looks very interesting, and I had a bit of a go on my cross trainer last night. I kept losing count :oops: But I reckon it has to be better than just going along at the same speed for the whole time...

Let us know how you get on!

Wouldn't it be good to have a CD or something that you could play and it would remind you when to speed up and when to slow down. Someone should make that :idea:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:29 am

you lost count counting to 8 and 12?
kate_turner2000

Postby Flame » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am

Yep I saw it too, and i reckon its a good idea.
I did a similar thing ages ago when i used to be fitter.
I used to do laps of the footy oval, Id hammer it at a full sprint for 1/4 of oval, walk 1/4, hammer it again for 1/4 and so on for 30mins.

Might start doing it again tonight ....maybe lol
101 here i come!!!!Image
Flame

Postby SarahC » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Yes Kate, I have a very short attention span :oops:

Running around the oval sounds good. At least you know when to slow down and speed up LOL.
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:50 pm

thats ok sarah! must mean you are going really fast on the bike and forget to count! i know i do!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:19 pm

It sounds like interval training with really short intervals.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Lolly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Okies I have had a think about this today - been told by everyone at work to try it with my swimming etc :roll:

Anyway, I figure I am getting exercise - why make it more complicated than it already is - thus making it harder to get out there and be motivated to do it?

The idea that they spent a shitload of money doing this study that could have been spent elsewhere (such as kids cancer research) sort of bugs me too.

I have an idea to get the general population exercising much quicker - advertise that people who exercise have more orgasms or somthing along those lines and watch those gyms fill up :lol:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Simmy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Lolly: advertise that people who exercise have more orgasms or somthing along those lines and watch those gyms fill up

HAHAHA.. Lolly that's great - although I think what you're saying actually has some merit. I read somewhere that exercise is meant to increase your (ummm....) PC? (that really doesn't sound right) muscles that leads to better Os!
Simmy

Postby Groovychic » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 am

Yes it is interval training but at a shorter time span. Interval training is a very good way of exercising. I was told to start out with 30 secs speed and then 2 mins recovery for 20 mins. It has built up to 45 secs speed and 1.5 mins recovery for 35 mins. And another session is 15 mins interval, 10 mins at usual pace and then 15 mins interval again. But don't do the interval everyday as your body will get used to it. Change it each day or each week. I think the 8 secs for me would be too short. I would only just be getting going and would have to slow down again and I would lose count too Sarah. I would forget if I was counting to 8 or 12!!! Whereas a 30 sec interval I could do quite easily on the cross trainer and watch the time! When I was running I was just guessing but I think I was running for over a minute and recovery was around 1.5 to 2 mins. I think the idea is so your heart rate stays fairly high most of the session, along with the peaks when you are at high intensity. When I start afresh next week on a new challenge I will actually do it the right way from the beginning. I'll be clock watching more religously this time!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:50 pm

I think the whole stop start thing would do my head in. Dunno, maybe I will give it a try. Anybody else tried it?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:13 pm

We do a lot of interval training at work.
It's absolutely fanastic!
I usually get people doing 1 min hard, 1 min not-so hard on the treadmill and get them to alternate between the 2... like when I'm training I usually do 1 min @ 13km/hr, then the next min @ 11km/hr and then back to the 13km etc etc
We also do it on the spin bikes, eg sprint for 10 seconds, relax the pace for 10 seconds - do that for 1 minute and then start sprint for 15 seconds, relax the pace for 15 seconds.
Also on the rower - at the start of every minute, a 15 second sprint
Can do the same on the climber.

It mixes it up a bit and changes the intensity for people without absolutely killing them!!
I loves interval training :D
Not sure about this 8 second/12 second thingo! That could get annoying to keep track of!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:44 pm

i tried the 8 sec 12 sec thing and it got boring really fast, it made the time go really slowly! and i couldnt read my mag :P
Jisgone

Next

Return to Exercise Talk