It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Free Newsletter

8 seconds to fat burning success?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby KimE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm

I do the intervals on the cross trainer, for 20 mins it is 1 min on the straight and 1 min on the hill with the hill progressively getting steeper, therefore, higher resistance. I add more intensity by increasing my rpms on the hill part. It's great fun!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:02 am

Hahaha Jewles with her mag!!!

I believe the 8 secs is too small an interval as by the time you get up to a good speed then its time to drop the level again. Tho I will get on the cross trainer now and give it a go. I have to do it on that cos it has a good timer on it!!! So I will let you all know if I end up doing more ks than a standard session. I generally do about 12ks in 30 mins so I will do a minimum of 30 mins(tho the 8/12 interval session won't be that long!!!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 am

Ok guys, heres how I went! I wanted to do a 45 min exercise session because I have started a new challenge and this week the program says 4 x 45 min sessions minimum this week.

So I did my usual 5 min warm up, then did the 8/12(at level 3) for 5 min....totally buggered at this stage, so did 1 min at level 2, jumped off and skulled some water!!! and did another minute to warm up again on level 2, then 5 mins again at level 3, 8/12 then the same 2 mins again to skull water!!! Then another 5 mins of interval at level 3 and then the water skulling 2 minutes again!!! Then I could only manage another 2 minutes of 8/12. I was totally stuffed by this stage. So that was a total of 17 minutes of interval. I didnt mind it. Probably liked it a bit more than the 1 minute/2 minute interval that I was doing before. But I havent done what was the required amount. I think you are meant to do 20 mins of the 8/12 straight. But I couldnt do that. But I will work on that over the next month or so. I didnt wear my hrm because mum's got it at the moment but when I get it back on wednesday I will check to see what my heart is doing during this time. So I will be the guinea pig and see if this might increase the chance of weight loss. As you all know, I find it hard to change my eating habits, so it should be a fairly accurate test with me. I'll give it to the end of Feb or so and see what happens. So my starting weight is 68.5....hhhmmm should change my ticker to represent that. I'll aim to do 8/12 interval 5 times a week with each session being 30 - 45 mins. Exercise sessions that I have been doing over the past 3 - 4 weeks have been about this length of time. But I was quite often doing a session morning and night, hence sometimes getting to over 90 mins in a day.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby workinprogress » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:52 am

Ok sorry I haven't updated since my initial post....

I hate this regime.

I tried it for 3 days and all I can say is that it sucked. For starters it was hard on the body and too difficult to keep track of the time as you just sit there and count constantly which is bloody boring.

I don't know about you guys but I have to listen to my ipod and kind of be spaced out and lost in my music while I exercise otherwise I start focusing on the actual exercise and time and get bored + frustrated.

I was initially doing 45 mins on the bike and was enjoying it but since I started this I've started dreading exercise again. So I've stopped I'm sorry to say but this is not for me regardless of the so called higher weightloss rate.

I'm sorry for disappointing all that were looking forward to hearing my results :(

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:59 am

Oh workinprogress don't be silly!! Not disappointing at all....it is always good to hear both sides anything!! It just proves as you said, that it is not for everyone!! Well done on completely a trial of it.....at least you can honestly say that you have tried it!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:24 am

its always good to experience it yourself workin- at least you can say you tried it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 am

Yeah it is a bit annoying and definitely boring having to count all the time! I'd rather listen to music too. Good on you for giving it a go though. The last thing you want is to become demotivated so it's really important that you enjoy what you are doing :)
SarahC

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:31 pm

Hey, you gave it a go and good on you for doing that. I knew pretty much straight off it would do my head in. I think Rochelle (groovychic) has been giving it a go as well and has been sticking to it pretty well.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am

Yeah I am sticking to it at this stage because I need a good month for a trial. I cant say that I am really enjoying it because I'd rather do the 30 sec/2 min interval but I am certainly giving it a good go. Today I did a 30 min session on the cross trainer.......I wanted to go on the treadmill so shortened my session!!! Here's how it went.
5 mins warm up(as usual)
10 mins straight(how impressive is that!!!!) of interval
1 min recovery(yep have to get off and have a skull of water and then back on to get back into the mode again for a minute!)
9 mins straight inteval again.
5 mins cool down.

I had only allowed myself the 30 mins, hence being 1 minute short of the 20 mins suggested.

I guess the hardest thing that I am finding is that I want to be doing other exercise but have to do this interval. I said I was going to do it 5 times a week. I'm not even sure how many times I have done it this week. This is the last day of the week as well. I'll have to go back to my personal progress page and see if I did do it 5 times. I was considering dropping it to 4 times a week but I think it really should be 5 times for 20 mins. One day I will get through the whole 20 mins without stopping for a drink and a recovery minute!!! I'm not entirely sure if maybe I am exercising too much either. I would have thought that you could never exercise too much but I think it is a possibility. As for getting bored, I don't tend to. I havent been listening to music but watching movies or something. Well not really watching cos I have to watch the clock on the cross trainer but certainly listening. I put south park on this morning.....probably not so wise cos I was laughing a bit through it. Yeah I admit it, I love south park!!! I have a warped sense of humour!!! I love Ali G and things like that as well. I go absolutely as fast as I can for those 8 secs then slow it down to a normal fast pace. I might wear my heart monitor tomorrow and see how I my heart rate is going. Mum gave it back to me yesterday so I have no excuse not to wear it!!!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:03 pm

You definitely can exercise too much. I find if I do too many days in a row of very high intensity I get fatigued and at some point the workout suffers. I also don't like to feel fatigued or tired if I am doing weights as my form gets bad and I don't want to drop something on me. :roll:

You are doing a fantastic job with this Rochelle. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Iwillbefit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Just an idea - I find the 8s really hard to do as I'm only sticking to walking so I do the space between telegraph poles - two telegraph poles fast and then 2 poles slow:)
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby Groovychic » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:48 pm

That would work well I think. At least you can keep track with the poles a bit better. While walking would not work too well if you had to look at your watch all the time!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby milkyway » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi there - my sister and I tried this workout doing various exercises and also on a stationery bike but we too found it so hard to keep track of the time.

As a solution, I created an mp3 file you can play on your i-Pod/mp3 player which has one beep to indicate the start of the slower 12 second period and 4 quick beeps to indicate the start of the 8 second intense period.

The beeping gets annoying, that's for sure, but it's better than having to look at the clock/watch or count all the time.

I hate not having music to exercise to, but it's only 20 minutes...

If you want to, you can download and use the mp3 file. Hope someone else finds it useful :)
milkyway

Postby mumof2 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Apparently it's better to do 20sec hard/20sec light instead of the 8sec/12sec thing.

I'm going to try it out next week.
Mum to Lily(2) & Charlie(3mths)

Mini goals:
#1 - 89kgs
#2 - 85kgs
#3 - 79kgs
#4 - 70kgs
#5 - 65kgs

I want to reach my goal weight by Christmas 2007. I CAN do this!
mumof2

Postby Groovychic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:42 pm

I dont know that I could last 20 seconds. I watch the seconds go down when I am on the 8 secs of fast and I think oooooooo hurry up!!!! But I am managing to do the whole 20 min session now, without the recovery minute in between, so it has proven that I have gotten fitter!!! Just havent lost any weight tho!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Previous

Return to Exercise Talk