It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

Flabby underarms

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Flabby underarms

Postby Iwillbefit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:15 pm

This is my first post :oops:

Will my flabby underarms ever go away? :cry: I've only recently started my weightloss but can't get this thought out of my head.
Iwillbefit

Postby CrimsonThunder » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Yes they will. But only if you do something about it!
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:52 pm

A good healthy diet and exercise will help. But you will also need to do some weights. If you don't have access to any weights start out with some cans from the cupboard. Start with bicep curls (do sets of 10 and 3 repeats), then a tricep push back, again same repetition, the lateral pull down and whatever they call the one where you start with your arms down and pull them up, I think its called the upright row or something!!! And there are others you can do. Take a look on the home page of weightloss.com.au and I am sure there will be some tips.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby CrimsonThunder » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Theres also rowing machines at the gym which will make you lose it fast. :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:21 am

Hello Iwillbefit and welcome to the forum.

Feel free to put an intro about yourself in the Introductions section if you are comfortable as not everyone comes to these sections.

Low fat diet, cardio to burn off the fat, weights to strengthen the muscle. That's what's working for me. People tend to think the weights will do it alone but there is still the layer of fat sitting over the muscle. As you lose/burn the fat the muscles gain more definition because you can see them. The exercises Rochelle (Groovychic) mentioned will certainly help and there are any number of books, websites and DVD's to help with that.

My flabby underarms have reduced dramatically but I still notice it along with my tummy. I think this will continue to get less and less as I still do plenty of cardio and will continue with the weights.

Em might have more info on this too, being a PT she must get lots of these sorts of questions.

I wish you the very best on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Lolly » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:03 am

There is another cure - wear t-shirts with sleeves :lol:

I have super flabby arms and find they tone up by swimming - and I loooove swimming.

When I was thinner (many moons ago) after losing heaps of weight, my arms were still flabby until I started doing laps of the local pool and they toned up very quickly.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Groovychic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:20 am

Well that is good to know Lolly cos I swim heaps as well. My arms have certainly toned up over the last year as I have noticed it in the arms of several tops I have.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Iwillbefit » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for helping me out - its really embarrassing, I make sure I never hold my arms up too high in case people can tell :( :oops: It really isn't a way to live...

Anyway I'm going to outline what I'm doing at the moment:

I use the palm of my hand for measurements, with two young kids at home I find that this method is so much easier than weighing and counting points etc. I cook alot of different types of food, stir fry, grilled chicken (how delish is grilled cajun chicken!!)Indian, Lebanese - a palm of my hand for carb, protein and vegetable each. For dinner I cut out the carb and for my mid morning snack its fruit, yogurt or nuts and seeds.

For my exercise, I'm refusing to go to a gym - I've just spent sooo much money and something has always gotten in the way so far now I"m just sticking to plain walking, tho it gets pretty intense and I do build up a bit of a sweat. I have a lower back problems which are considered a major injury so the walking is okay, the treadmill & rower is a big no-no! I started three weeks ago at 12 mins and that was hard and am now doing 45mins quite easily! I started some resistance exercises this week too, some squats and push ups.

My biggest obstacle is myself, I have soo many negative thoughts going through my head :? After spending so much money on weight watchers jenny craig and two separate gym memberships I really want to win this time....my weight is just getting in the way of my life!
Iwillbefit

Postby Iwillbefit » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Oh and I bought a body band to help with the resistance so I'll be starting that too ( I bought it today) - and hopefully it'll help out, I really hate my flabby underarms :cry:
Iwillbefit

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Keep strong, stay with your plan and you will get there. Determination, focus, write down why you want to lose weight and your goals stick it somewhere you will see it everyday to remind yourself. So much of this is done from your mental attitude than anything physical.

We can help with any motivation you need but ultimately you are the one who has to get up and do it all....trust me it is sooooooo worth it! You have made a great start with the changes so far, keep at it. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Hiya!

What Kim said about needing to do cardio to burn the fat off as well as doing weights to tone the arms is spot on!
Some form of cardio is needed, so walking is good, try to make it a decent length power walk, and move those arms!!
Tricep Dips are a great exercise you can do at home, just make sure you have your hands pointing in the same direction as your feet and your elbows are going straight back and not flaring out to the sides as you dip down.

In saying that - unfortunately you can't spot reduce, so you can't choose where the fat is going to shift from first! So it will just be a matter of waiting and seeing how your body reacts!

Emma
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Iwillbefit » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks for the tips :)
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby zoeh » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Oh I have flabby underarms its so annoying!! I do exercise every day and do resistance/weights etc

its taking forever to get them to go away

Its so annoying in dance class, when I lift my arms the flab hangs lower than everyone else's toned dancer arms

damn them
zoeh

Postby Iwillbefit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:47 am

It sounds like its going to be permanent, accepting that is sooo hard :(
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby zoeh » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:50 am

No way it just means we have to fight harder!!! Which means we will love it more and have a greater appreciation when we get there!!!
zoeh

Return to Exercise Talk