It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby milo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Do you think walking my dog most days plus a few days a week (say maybe 3) do the excerise bike or a dvd enough excerise. I dont mind walking the dog but I dread the bike or dvd
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:57 pm

sounds good to me mel. they say you should aim to do exercise 3 times a week for more than 30 minutes at a time to aid weightloss. sound slike you are well on your weigh (pun)

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 pm

Sounds good Mel. Just try to make sure you walking is reasonably brisk to get the heart and lungs working. Build up to this if you are starting out.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Walking is certainly the main part of my exercise regime...I actually enjoy it.

There are things you can do while walking to increase the diversity of muscles worked out & give yourself a better workout (although a good brisk walk is a great place to start).

I use a book called Walking for Health by Dr William Bird which has some good stretching exercises and tips for avoiding common injuries such as shin splints as well as good ways to add variety to walking (eg lengthen/shorten your stride for intervals, bring your arms into the mix etc). I'm sure there are websites which have similar information but I've never bothered to look as I found the book first and have found it very useful.

If you walk the dog on a leash you can get an attachment so that you can attach your leash to your belt/waistband so your hands can be free for the proper power walk and you don't get the poor dog all tangled up :D
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)

Return to Exercise Talk