It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:51 am

Free Newsletter

gym membership

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

gym membership

Postby Iwillbefit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:51 am

Ok I don't have a gym membership and have already been to gyms twice but its quite pricey.

I have a major back problem, two slipped discs - I've been exercising for about three weeks now, walking everyday and have been building up the time and intensity by going up hills etc. but my back is really starting to hurt, it feels like its burning and the only way to help it is by losing weight, a real catch-22.

Considering that doing weight resistance actually help to lose weight, should I ditch the body band and home resistance exercises to get a membership to the gym to use the weights there instead?
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 am

Well, I dont know mate. How is the weights at the gym going to be different to what you are doing now???? It may be worth seeing your doc/physio or whomever you see for your back and having a chat to them and maybe showing them what exercises you are doing so they can say yay or nay to whether they are doing damage to your back. Is there a possibility that you could swim instead??? Swimming puts no pressure on your frame so that may be better than the walking. As it is hurting your back I think it is important that you talk to a professional, namely the person who knows your past with your back. I think stick to the walking gently until you see someone.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby yummymummy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:11 pm

I think groovychic may be right it may be an idea to visit the doc or physio to get ur back checked out in regards to what exercise you should be doing, swimming is great and its one of the exercises my physio recommended I do, pilates was also recommended and I was given some pilates type exercise to do at home
goodluck & dont give up
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:35 pm

i do weights at home using items around my house. i cant afford a gym membership but with a few different exercises you can do the same sort of thing at home :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:04 pm

The guys here are right you can do many of the exercises at home but it is definitely a good idea to talk to someone about what you are doing to make sure it isn't making anything worse.

One thing with many strength exercises you need to have the right technique so you don't hurt yourself. I used a trial pack with a personal trainer when I joined the gym so I could get someone to watch me and make sure my form was good plus give me tips on other exercises.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Iwillbefit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks guys, for all your help. I know I'm doing the exercises right - I've had quite a few checkups in the past and with a personal trainer at the gym before so as long as I don't do too much in one go (like don't walk for an hour and a half) then it should be okay for my back.

I can't do the rower at the gym that's a definite no go, but the reason I asked was because I love walking and limit that to about 45 mins max but the resistance exercises at home don't seem to be like the gym and I get bored with it (variety is my middle name), but then again I guess if I"m using the same movements it wouldn't make a difference if I'm lifting dumbbells or a can of three bean mix lol. :?
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 pm

put on some funky music to listen to whilst you do it. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:28 pm

I see what you're getting at now. Yes I found a similar thing with doing the same exercises over and over which is why I bought some home gym equipment specially for strength training. What it means is the variations of exercises I can now do has increased dramatically because of this. So take that thinking to a gym where they have more equipment than you can poke a stick at then the exercises variation is unlimited.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Talk