It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Free Newsletter

fat burning exercise

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

fat burning exercise

Postby originalmel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Dr John Gray who is the author of 'Men are from Mars...' has a whole diet and excercise section on his website. He also has a book about it which is really interesting. There were a few snippets i was reading earlier which i though might be helpful to you guys so here goes...

"Repetitive, easy exercises stimulate fat burning, while most common forms of exercise stimulate sugar burning. When you finish an hour of exercise and you are not tired or out of breath and you could easily repeat the whole routine, you are in the fat-burning zone. If you are tired, you were burning sugar. If, after 20 minutes of exercise, you were to suddenly stop and needed to "catch your breath," you were in the sugar-burning zone - not the more desirable fat-burning zone.
By burning sugar, you get instant energy, but it eventually leaves you tired. It also makes your body more acidic rather than alkaline. The body is designed to burn fat for energy while the brain is designed to burn sugar. When muscles use up that sugar, less is available for the brain. The muscles are designed to burn fat but they have a back up system to burn sugar in emergencies, though it is unhealthy to do this often. Weight gain, low energy, anxiety, restlessness or the desire for sugar are signs that your body is burning sugar instead of fat.

The purpose of exercise should not be to get the heartbeat up into the cardiac zone. The key for most people, and particularly if they are overweight or they are out of shape is to get just below this zone. Burning calories through exercise is only a small part of losing weight. The secret of effective exercise is to stimulate the metabolism to burn fat all day - while you are sitting at your desk or even while driving your car. When your exercise is fat-burning you tend to continue to burn fat for the rest of the day. When you push your heartbeat into the cardio zone, you train your body to burn sugar and not fat. In many cases, conventional exercise is counter-productive.

When we engage in sugar-burning exercise, the result is increased acid in the body. These acids from diet and exercise choices are then stored in the fat cells in our guts to protect our organs. Ultimately, no amount of exercise will get rid of this fat.

A variation of this exercise exists in almost every ancient indigenous culture. It is a simple bouncing movement. It is like standing up and using a jump rope without the rope and without lifting your feet or heels off the ground. This gentle up and down movement stimulates the lymphatic system. When done with rhythmic breathing, the increased oxygen helps to neutralize the acids as they are released from cells. As the body becomes less toxic, the fat cells automatically begin releasing fatty acids into the blood stream to be neutralized and released.
Besides balancing hormones by stimulating the glands, brain boosting by increasing the flow of cerebral spinal fluid, and stimulating the lymphatic system through 15 different bounce and shake movements, the Isoflex exercises also include seven power moves that will tone and gradually increase muscle mass. To build muscle mass faster, try the slow burn method. You only need to work out about 20 minutes a week at the gym and then let your muscles rest for the rest of the week. Meanwhile every day do about 45 minutes of the Isoflex movements and you will be rewarded with better relationships, increased energy, unconditional happiness and lasting romantic feelings.
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby yummymummy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:07 am

well its a very intresting theroy & something I would like to know more about because Ive never heard about fat burning/sugar burning before
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Ally » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:40 pm

I did weight watchers a lot of years ago Jody and they talked of it then, same as what Mel has just posted. They told us (WW) that to burn fat effectively you must be able to walk and still be able to hold a conversation without gasping for breath in between. If we were gasping too much it meant that we were indeed burning sugar and not fat......it worked for me, but as for whether they still teach the same I wouldn't know! I will try and hunt down some more medical evidence for you and post it here, just give me a week or so as I am a bit busy at the moment!

Hope this has been some help to you.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby originalmel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:02 pm

you can read about it on http://www.marsvenus.com too if you want. There's other interesting diet stuff there too.
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby Groovychic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks for that Mel. Its very interesting but I'd like to see a trial, as was done with the 8/12 interval before I started to really believe that. If you take me for instance. When I hired the treadmill late Feb to late May last year I managed to lose over 3 kilos in that time. And my food intake didnt really change, as with now whilst on the 8/12 interval trial. I've always been a walker at a brisk pace. I can always talk whilst walking unless going up a steep hill at a good pace. I've never managed to lose weight just doing the walking. Its still early days for my 8/12 interval trial but I will know by the end of the month if it has given me any benefit. So I guess we need a guinea pig for a trial of this as well. Not sure what you should get your heart rate up to for this. 60% of MHR maybe.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby bluebox451 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Its true that you burn a greater "percentage" of fat while in the fat burning zone. However, when working at a higher intensity, the total amount of fat burned (and calories burned) is much more.
Read about it here
http://www.aminoz.com.au/staying-burnin ... l?aPath=23
bluebox451

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Here's a cut-and-paste from Nick Nilsson's "Metabolic Surge" book... might help shed some light. I reckon just do what you are comfortable doing. Everyone's fitness levels are different and a little excercise is better than none at all :wink:

Everywhere you look, it's always said that long-duration, low-intensity training is best for fat loss. All high-intensity work does is burn carbohydrates, right?

Wrong.

After reading this, I guarantee you'll develop a new respect for high-intensity cardio training for fat loss.

Low-intensity exercise is defined as working at a heart rate of about 60% to 65% of your maximum heart rate (which is equal to 220 - your age = maximum heart rate, thus if you are 20 years old, 220 - 20 = 200 max HR). High-intensity exercise is defined as working at about 75 to 85% or more of your maximum heart rate.

Using the previous example for maximum heart rate (max HR=200), working at 60% of your max HR would be 120 beats per minute and 80% of that would be 160 beats per minute.

There are several reasons low-intensity exercise is normally recommended for fat loss.
1. It's easy - In many cases people who are trying to lose fat don't always feel energetic enough to do hard training due to the caloric deficit (a.k.a. diet) that they are on. In these cases, just sticking to an exercise program can be hard enough, never mind making the exercise itself challenging.
2. It's low risk - A personal trainer generally can't go wrong by recommending low-intensity exercise to clients. Even the most out of shape person can usually do low-intensity cardio training safely. While this is certainly appropriate advice for novice trainers, it does not necessarily apply to the more experienced trainer when it comes to effective training.
3. It burns a higher percentage of calories from fat - this is very true: exercising at a lower intensity does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat than high-intensity exercise. But, as I will explain, this does not necessarily mean you're going to burn more fat.

Let's crunch some numbers to show you exactly what I mean when I say high-intensity exercise burns more fat.
- Low-intensity training burns about 50% fat for energy while high-intensity training burns about 40% fat for energy. This is not a huge difference.
- Say, for example, walking for 20 minutes burns 100 calories. Then 50% of 100 calories is 50 fat-calories burned.
- Now say 10 minutes of interval training at a high intensity burns 160 calories. Well, 40% of 160 calories is 64 fatcalories burned.
- By doing the high-intensity work, you've just burned 14 more fat calories in half the time. Starting to sound good?

There's more...

Low-intensity exercise only burns calories while you are actually exercising. That means the moment you stop exercising, your caloric expenditure goes back down to nearly baseline levels. Within minutes, you're not burning many more calories than if you hadn't done anything at all.

High-intensity exercise, on the other hand, continues to boost your metabolism long after you're done (often up to 24 hours after, depending on the length and intensity of the training session). This means you're continuing to burn many more calories all day long!
SarahC

Postby Monica » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:35 pm

thats an interesting article Sarah. I was wondering f you could shed some liht on this question?

When I do say 20 mins on the space bike or stepper, i burn HEAPS of calories, but if i do 20 miutes inthe bike i only burn about 1/4 the amount of calories...

this is reading off the little screen on the equipment. Are these accurate? It seems like such a big difference in cals and i actually feel more buggered after the bike than the rest...

how much emphasis do you put on the calories the machine tells you that you burn?

Mon
Monica

Postby KimE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:51 pm

It's a good question Monica one I don't know the answer to but hopefully Sarah may have more of an idea or one of our friendly PT's. This is why if I want a good cal burn I go on the cross trainer, none of the other machines come close to the calories I can burn on that in the same time. Surprisingly the rower seems to be another good one according to the display although it doesn't know my weight or gender so I wonder sometimes. It may also be why I don't enjoy the bike as I can work my butt off on there and the display indicates very few calories burned.

Although now I am on maintenance I am training myself not to worry about these figures and use the workout for what it does for my body ie. does it work my heart, muscles etc.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Jisgone » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:04 pm

to get a workout similiar to the cross trainer i do the treadmill with a big incline, it really gets my heart rate up! the bike is ok but i guess u can only expect to burn so many calories when your sitting on your butt! :P i use the bike as my warm up and cool down
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:07 pm

For me even the treadmill on an incline doesn't burn the same cals...good cardio workout though thats for sure. LOL I hang onto those bars for dear life when that incline goes up!

OK true about the bike you are sitting on your bum after all...but by crikey it makes my leg muscles ache.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby bluebox451 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Great article Sarah! There are so many people who think staying in the stupid "fat burning zone" helps them burn the most fat. It drives me bananas! :evil:
In my humble opinion, cardio which involves carrying your own body weight usually burns more calories than a machine which supports your body weight ie. jogging will burn more than cycling but this greatly depends at what intensity you're working at. You may burn more in a high intensity spin class than jogging slowly on a treadmill for the same amount of time.
Also, the calorie info on machines can vary greatly and usually isnt completely accurate. The ones where you can input your info are probably better because a 50kg person would burn way less than a 80kg person.
A better way to gauge your activity is to use the perceived exertion scale whereby working out at a 7 or 8 out of 10 is high intensity.
Because on different days you will find the same workout harder or easier depending on sleep, if you've eaten breakfast, TTOM, fitness level increase/decrease etc etc.
Hang on, I think I have it here somewhere *rummages through messy desk* :roll:
Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
Level 9: I am probably going to die
Level 10: I am dead
I wouldnt worry too much about what the machines say but more about whether I think I gave it my all. Sometimes I find exactly the same workout feels much harder than a previous time. There's usually a reason for it though.
Anyway, hope that helps.
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby Monica » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:19 pm

thanks for the input guys,

Glad to hear you all have the same experience with those mysterious little screens... :?
Monica

Postby laura » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:18 pm

SarahC wrote:- Say, for example, walking for 20 minutes burns 100 calories. Then 50% of 100 calories is 50 fat-calories burned.
- Now say 10 minutes of interval training at a high intensity burns 160 calories. Well, 40% of 160 calories is 64 fatcalories burned.
- By doing the high-intensity work, you've just burned 14 more fat calories in half the time. Starting to sound good?

It really depends on the person, the size and level of fitness. A person that is out of shape may not be able to do 10 minutes of interval training but may be able to walk for 40 minutes so the low-intensity is better and burns more calories. A very fit person on the other hand may find it easier to do a 10-20 minutes high-intensity training.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:30 pm

That's true I think it's best to work to your own level and increase it slowly as you get fitter. One person's routine isn't necessarily better or worse than the next persons.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Exercise Talk