It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 am

Free Newsletter

Overtraining

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Overtraining

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Guys!
Just thought I'd post up some interesting information I found about Overtraining. I hit a brick wall at work tonight and it was not pretty, and suspected it was overtraining seeing as I'd increased the intensity of my workouts (especially with the weights) lately. I've got almost all of the symptoms outlined below, so I'm going cold turkey on the exercise for a few days. It's going to absolutely kill me but I think I have to do it seeing as I start studying soon and workings more too.

Common warning signs of overtraining include:

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
* Mild leg soreness, general achiness
* Pain in muscles & joints
* Sudden drop in performance
* Insomnia
* Headaches
* Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
* decrease in training capacity / intensity
* moodiness and irritability
* depression
* loss of enthusiasm for the sport
* decreased appetite
* increased incidence of injuries.
* A compulsive need to exercise

It is not easy to predict overtraining based upon a training schedule since everyone is different. It is important, however, to vary training through the year and have significant rest time.

Treating Overtraining Syndrome

If you suspect you are overtraining the first thing to do is reduce or stop your exercise and allow a few days of rest. Drink plenty of fluids, check & alter your diet if necessary. Crosstraining can help you discover if you are overworking certain muscles and also help you determine if you are just mentally fatigued. A sports massage can help you recharge overused muscles.

So be careful guys!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:54 am

Glad your listening to your body em, it is the best thing you can do. Do you think perhaps the extra fiber you were consumming could be weighing you down so to speak, making you feel not so great? Hmnn.. just a thought, unless of course you bumped your exercise to overload. Whatever the case may be, rest and drink water till you feel back to normal, k?
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:05 am

Hmmm there's a thought, about the fibre... I honestly couldn't tell ya if that's what it is.. I'm pretty much just meeting my daily requirements + maybe a couple of grams over if I'm lucky, so I'm not going overboard with it... I dunno!

I have really ramped up the training lately.. and I figure even if it's not overtraining and it's a bug of some kind, it won't hurt to take a few days off from exercise to get whatever it is out of my system. I don't think I've gone more than a day or 2 without exercise since March last year!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Groovychic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Its so easy to overtrain tho. I knew I had done too much on Sunday arvo cos I was feeling totally buggered. So I have cut down a smidge!! I'm really trying to limit it to a 30 min walk with the dog in the morning, followed by 25 mins cross trainer(incorporating the 8/12) and then 20 mins inluding 5 mins cool down, on the treadmill. The walk with the dog is nothing too stressful and is only at a brisk pace. No power walking there so I don't really consider it as my proper exercise. So I am aiming at around the 45 - 50 mins of good exercise each day, with a rest day twice a week. I've been feeling ok so far this week. But I am just taking it one day a time. Hope you have recovered Em.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Wooh yeah you're right there Rochelle! It's sooo easy to overtrain! People think that only athletes who do hours of training a day for marathons etc etc get overtraining syndrome! But it can happen to people like us, who just exercise to lose weight and get fit!!

Good work for recognising that you had pushed it a bit too far, Rochelle! Sounds like you have it all sussed out :)

I do feel a bit better today, still knackered though.. I definitely think I need this time off exercise. I need to get myself right before my life starts getting busy again towards the end of the month. I've decided that when I start studying I will only be exercising Sun/Mon/Thurs/Fri's because trying to exercise on a Tues/Wed when I have TAFE 9-4 and work 4:30-8:30 is just too much. My course is going to be exhausting enough, massaging all day etc!!
zeedeveelgirl

Return to Exercise Talk