It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Cramps....

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Cramps....

Postby ragazzo grasso » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:45 am

I bought a new pushbike yesterday......I haven't ridden it yet BUT all through the night I was woken up with FILTHY cramps in my calves/calfs/things between my knee and ankle at the back :lol:

I have been exercising, but I've been slack this week. I've reduced my food intake a lot, and I'm wondering if that would have anything to do with me getting cramps? I never get cramps.

These things woke me up.....and were a bugger to stretch out.

Any ideas? Or is it my body just thinking about riding the new bike? :lol:
one day....clothes off the rack for me
ragazzo grasso

Postby Ally » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 am

Your body could be getting used to the different muscles being exercised.

However, are you drinking enough water?? Dehydration can lead to cramps as well as not enough salt. I find that when it is really hotor after strenuous exercise, I have to have an energy drink to replace my electrolytes as sometimes water is just not enough....I would try maybe having a powerade or something and see if that works.

As for reducing your food intake, how much have you reduced it by...as a general rule men need more calories in there daily diet to lose weight than women....just make sure you are not reducing it too much as your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on to the weight that you have. I hope this helps a bit :wink:

Oh by the way congrats on your new bike!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby ragazzo grasso » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 am

Ally wrote:However, are you drinking enough water?? Dehydration can lead to cramps as well as not enough salt.

LOL...so I should drink sea water then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ally wrote:As for reducing your food intake, how much have you reduced it by...

I've probably reduced my calorie intake to about a quarter of what I was doing....if not more. I am consuming about (on average) 1200-1400 calories per day.

Ally wrote:Oh by the way congrats on your new bike!!!

Ta...I just got back from a light ride with the kids...about 8-9k's....which I know isn't much, but I've been inactive for so long....I'm just easing back into the cycling bit...but I get smashed at the gym 8)
one day....clothes off the rack for me
ragazzo grasso

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:14 am

i was going to say that about the water and the salt too. make sure you stretch adequately before your ride craig :)

well done on the bike- i have an exercise bike- its safer than riding the neighbourhood but not as fun :(
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:15 pm

It could be a lack of magnesium as well, possibly because of the reduced food intake you're not getting enough of it through the food you're eating??

Magnesium Rich foods include:

Whole grains
Nuts
Beans
Seeds
Fish
Avocados
Leafy green vegetables

Failing that, try a Magnesium supplement :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:28 pm

You might want to re-evaluate how many cals you are taking in as I have read the minimum for men is around 1800 per day not the 1200 us gals get to have....oooh lucky us right!

Anyway you might want to do some investigating on that, however, remember all these things are guidelines and not individualised so whatever works for YOUR body is the thing to do.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:52 pm

Maybe you were dreaming about going for a big long ride :P

Drinking too much plain water can also lead to cramps as it depletes your body of salt. A sports drink can really help. I like Endura (lemon-lime, powder form - works out to be under $1 per 750ml drink bottle refill, much cheaper than buying bottles of powerade or gatorade). It's great in the hot weather when I'm exercising and know in advance that I'll be sweating a lot. It's not sickly sweet either, if anything, slightly salty.

Enjoy your bike riding... I just dusted mine off recently and have ridden to work a few days (not this past week though -- too hot). It's only about an 8km, but I really struggle on the way home as it's mostly uphill. People pass me all the time :oops: It's also a bit scary being in so much city traffic :evil: ... and I mostly ride on bike paths.

What are you bike riding plans?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Exercise Talk