It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:35 am

Free Newsletter

Fitness First

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Fitness First

Postby Iwillbefit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi everyone,

If anyone has a ff membership do you mind telling me how much I have to pay for a basic membership. I don't want a year long contract and I don't want to go into the gym as they really pressure you to do take up something that you may not be looking for.

Thanks
Sue.
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby KimE » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm

I have a ff membership and unless you want to pay a big fee up front to be full member with no contract you will need to go on a years contract. I pay approx $15 per week and there are also admin and joining fees up front so it's never as simple as you think but then I found this with all the other gyms I checked out too. They do have specials and deals on from time to time so check that out. At the one in the city that I go to now there is a half price joining fee so ask them about those sorts of deals.

For the basic price that gets you everything in the gym including classes but not the solarium or a pt. I got a special deal when I joined for a triple pack with a pt for $45. 3 half hour sessions which worked out well for me. However, if you know gyms and know what you want you don't have to pay for anything extra.

Sing out if you need any other info. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Iwillbefit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks Kim. I'm sorry I didn't realise there was another thread created just a few days ago by someone else :oops:

I want to use it for only the weight machines, I've tried doing the can of beans at home but I'm so hopeless I feel totally unmotivated so if I cancel my mobile phone I'm quite happy to join the gym to use the weight machines! FF has there no joining fee for the next few days so I thought I might take advantage of that. If I look at a basic package with no extra's how much would I be looking at then? Same as yours? 60bucks a month with no bells and whistles sounds fine to me.

Are you given a programme for weights or is it you go in and do what you like?
Iwillbefit

Postby Jisgone » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm

i think its crazy that gyms have joining fees, as if it costs $150 to enter someones details into a computer and make them a laminated card, my gym has never had a joining fee they just have standard rates, my gym does 3 monthly memberships for $140 so paying $150 just to join seems a rip
Jisgone

Postby Iwillbefit » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 am

I know its a real rip off :evil:
Iwillbefit

Postby Jisgone » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:32 am

do you have any lessor known gyms in your area? maybe ones run by private owners or the local council or something, they tend to be a load cheaper than the big names
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:50 pm

I agree Jewles but the gyms I checked out near work all had a similar joining fee and FF was the only one that has one near home and near work. You do get a spiffy card from FF but it's still not worth the joining fee.

Oh and if you are supposed to get a programme designed for you I didn't get one. Which is why I paid the $45 for the 3 sessions with a pt. I wanted to make sure I was doing my weight exercises correctly and she showed me around all the machines both weight and cardio. Now I do my own thing and if I want advice on something new they have chappies walking around all the time that you can ask.

What I like about FF is they have heaps of outlets so there is always one close by.

Yes you should be paying around the $60 per month for the basic deal at FF and if they have a no joining fee thing then go for it. I think there is also a $60 approx admin fee but they can tell you all about it.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Iwillbefit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Yeah I hi Kim, I went over this afternoon and checked it out - I'm really reluctant to sign a year long contract though :?

There is no joining fee a 50 admin fee and 25/fort night so it seems pretty reasonable to me lol and its 150 for any cancellation....
Iwillbefit

Postby KimE » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 pm

$150 to cancel...lol they always get there money somehow. I am close to my year being finished so I don't know what happens then. Would like to go to a gym closer to work for more gym time but then I won't have one close to home.

Crikey I wish you could pay one membership that just covered every darn gym!
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Iwillbefit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah that's right I was like bloody hell, they're still taking 3 months membership off me :x

In any case I thought bugger them I'm not taking the membership, I'm just sick of committing to a year long contract when twice before I've had to cancel just after halfway into my membership ya know....I was pretty angry and left saying I'm going down the road to the other gym but I didn't because they were even more a rip-off :roll:

Maybe in June I'll reward myself with something like that or if I'm a good girl my husband will buy me my own setup like yours Kim :P That way goodbye gym memberships foreverrrrrrrrrr
Iwillbefit

Postby bluebox451 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Did you know (a well known fact in the gym industry) that only 20% of people who buy gym memberships actually continue to go after three months? :shock: That means that they get 80% people's money for nothing coz they never go back. That's why they always push for long term memberships (so they can get as much money out of you before you get sick of it). I would recommend only buying one if you're 100% certain that you will get your money's worth (I know everybody says that at the start and fail to go though with it). If they have classes you enjoy then that helps.
Maybe you're better off going to a PT where you pay per session (at least you wont be wasting your time wandering around the gym) and invest the remainder in buying some equipment for home. Myself, I go to Genesis for the Les Mills classes and I do weights there too - I can always use the equipment at work but if I'm paying for a membership there why not make the most of it? Anyway, its up to you really and what you prefer.
Liz :)
bluebox451

Postby Jisgone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:58 pm

ive had 3 gym memberships before where ive stopped going
so this time i just joined for 3 months, and i went religiously so when it came for renewal i joined for a year :)
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:41 pm

This is actually my first gym membership. Years ago I used to do the aerobics classes and just pay per class but with today's gyms it's not worth paying $15 per class if the membership itself is $15 per week.

Anyway I love going to the gym and if I don't go then I go for a brisk walk or walk/jog so I'm doing something most days. The set up I have at home is for weights as I don't have the time to do this at the gym and I prefer it in my own home. I mainly use the gym for the cardio equipment that I have no room for and can't afford. Wish I could fit in more classes though as I almost never do them now. Have my trusty Tae Bo DVD's at home for a quick boost and it's kinda like being in a class. :roll:

That's very true Liz about the 20% there are so many people at work who have memberships and never go. The idea of a PT is great and you can also do the group sessions with a PT if you need to have others to motivate you.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kris » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:43 pm

This may be a little late now as you may have already joined a gym but if you dont want to commit for a yr and avoid paying joining fee at FF the best thing to do is find someone who wants to get rid of their membership! FF will transfer memberships for $50. I googled fitness first memberships a yr ago when i joined and found sites where people were selling there memberships or giving them away. The only site i rem is gumtree.com.au, the lady who previously had the membership paid the transfer fee as $50 and i got a membership which only had 5 or 6 mths contract left so now if i want to stop it i can!! Oh and you can transfer the membership to change to your local FF if it isnt for the same location. But i think you may both have to be present at the transfer so i guess try and get someone from the same city !!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGvCuHz/]
kris

Postby KimE » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:18 pm

What a great idea Kris I never even thought of it.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Talk