It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Muscles

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Muscles

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:06 am

Hi, I'm just curious how long it takes for muscles to start building/doing their continuous metabolism work. I am not saying that I want it to happen right now, not too worried, just curious. Also if you've done muscle work previously, say for example, six months ago and then stopped and then start again does it take as long to get them 'working' again?
If I've confused anyone do let me know
aramat1980

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 am

kim is pretty knowledgable about this stuff. i try to do a weight session about 3-4 times a week and it took about 2 months of doing this to start to see any change. is that what you meant?
kate_turner2000

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks Kate. I know that it takes a while to start showing up. Ie last time I lost weight, back in May last year (which I then put back on *smack*), it showed after about that long. Just wondering if I started doing weights properly again now, after six months, if it will take that long again or will it be different this time around coz there were already there? ie not building from scratch? i dunno what i'm talking about, no sleep brain
aramat1980

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:17 am

all i know it that you have to perservere even if it looks like its not working- it doesnt happen over night. and you have to do it consistently each week to see results. perhaps kim might know or one of the PT about whether it will take as long for you or not
kate_turner2000

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks Kate
sorry if i sound completely clueless
aramat1980

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

LOL im clueless all the time haha
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm not really sure it's not something I have looked into as I never did any sort of resistance training before what I do now. I've also wondered how long it takes to build muscle but I am guessing each body is different so perhaps there is no standard answer.

I know it took a few months before I could really start to see a difference but I did feel a difference in my muscles sooner than that, especially my legs and shoulders where I carry less fat.

After 6 months off I imagine you would have to build yourself up again and it probably would be unwise to start with a heavy load if you are unused to it. The PT's would be able to give you better advice here but I am thinking like any sort of training where you have had a break, start out slowly, get your technique right and build from there.

Look forward to seeing what the others have to say but I find it an interesting subject so may just have to do some reading on it too.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby bluebox451 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Muscles rebuild as soon as they are forced to work beyond their normal range/strength. So eg. if you do a good weights session and the next day feel sore (known as DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) it means your muscle fibres have been stretched/damaged (in a good way) and they are rebuiding/repairing so they are prepared for next time they have to deal with the same stresses. So really, as long as you're doing regular resistance training, then your muscles are constantly rebuilding themselves to be stronger and/or bigger depending on how heavy/intense your sessions are. This is why its important to consume enough protein as this is the building blocks of muscle. DOnt have enough in your diet and then your body starts to break down your muscle to cope with your requirements. Obviously this is not a good thing as we all know the more muscle we have the higher our metabolism as it is an active tissue. Fat is not metabolically active and it requires no energy to exist.
As for how long it takes to build, I've heard numbers around the half a kilo per week but that is for serious weight trainers and their diet would have to be spot on. Obviously its harder for women and for ectomorphs to build muscle size however anyone can build strength quite easily if they put in some hard work.
To answer your other question, my opinion is that if you have done weights previously then it wont take as quite as long to get back to your previous strength level compared to if you were a beginner. Our bodies do have quite a good memory for these things. However, as Kim said you must start off very slowly and only increase if your technique is perfect and you feel ready to do so. The first week or so you may be sore but your body will get used to it quite quickly. Remember, soreness is a good thing, pain is not! If you feel pain, stop what you're doing and seek medical advice.
That's my two cents worth, I've babbled again havent I?
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby KimE » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Cheers Liz I got a lot from that. :D I was wondering about muscle 'memory' from past training, that makes sense.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby dietcoke » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:33 pm

It definitly depends on the person. Some people build more muscle in certain places and store fat in certain places. For example being a girl I store a lot more fat in my hips, thighs, bum and lower tummy. Since my arms don't store much fat I notice muscle tone there almost straight away but it takes much longer to see results in my abs and bum. But then as much as I try to make my thighs smaller through exercise they seem to grow quite quickly and I end up with thicker legs...ah what are you gonna do...???

The point is it just depends on your body but really you should feel a difference pretty much straight away even if you can't see it yet.

Good luck with it
dietcoke

Return to Exercise Talk