It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Free Newsletter

Fitness First, Money First

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Fitness First, Money First

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey,

I was thoroughly disapointed with FF today. I went in all keen an wired up to sit down with one of the 'personal trainers' to help me put together an exercise program which would help me work on overall fitness as well as maximising exercise in maintaining glucose levels.

He didn't seem all that interested an in a few minutes wrote down what seemed some pretty generic activities without even really explaining them or working with me to establish a proper routine he had mapped out. And he had know clue about the relationship between exercise and glucose control. He was of course keen to sell me a PT package.

Anyways, up shot of that all is I went to see a proper Exercise Physiologist and he was excellent. At $66 a session a little expensive however, but he did say that its possible to get a Drs referral for some people with chronic illnesses (e.g. Diabetes) to an exercise physiologist.

Has anyone any info about this process. Of course I will speak with my Dr but just wonder if anyone had been throug this before?

Nathan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI43W6x/]
[/url]
Nathan

Postby Mandie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 pm

There's some good programs for chronic diseases such as diabetes and arthritis where you can get involved in exercise programs (and exercise physiologists I guess) and other stuff... ask your GP they will know more than me, but I know that stuff definitely exists and a lot is covered by Medicare.

It sucks about your experience in Fitness First. The fact is, most people at these gyms are there to sell you memberships, and know how to deal with most people who come, but are not well trained enough to deal with more complex cases such as people with diabetes. An exercise physiologist certainly sounds like a great idea, and perhaps he can even refer you on to a PT who works with people with diabetes?
Mandie

Yes,it does suck

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Hey Mandie,

Yes, I will definately be talking to my GP, she has been constantly supportive ever since I was Dx in August, in fact on the very day I was Dx she sent of a referral to the Diabetes Educator. I will also talk with my Diabetes Educator too, she may know something more.

She has been impressed my with my efforts to gain control over the situation and not just fall into a heap. I can't wait for my next appointment with her to share the big 20 loss.

As for FF, yes, now doubt as someone one said here once, they are in to seel as many memberships as possible, based on the fact that 80% will not come back anyways. And yes, the PTs who have their Cert III and IV are ok for 99% Joe and Jane Public but clearly fall in a heap when they have to do something outside the the pre prepared package.

The guy I saw today was excellent, he listend, he tested, to recommended etc etc and all for $0 whether or not I come back or not, of course I'd like to because he comes across with the right words and actions. But I could just as easily taken up 1 hour of his time and never gone back or paid a dime.

Its a shame that places like FF do not offer this comprehensive assessment and program development, at the beginning without having to pay more - ESPECIALLY when they claim they do this in the first place.

Nathan
[/url]
Nathan

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 am

Hey Nathan,

I'm a member of fitness first and my mate is a PT and 'works' for fitness first. What I mean by this is that all the PT's pay the gym (depending where the gym is located) about $200 a week to use the gym's facilities. They have to drum up their own clientele and the clients they do have pay them personally not the gym.

With the 3PT sessions the money you spend for this package goes directly to fitness first not the PT so unless the PT thinks that they can get you as a permanent client they're not that interested in sitting down and discussing and drawing up a fitness regime for you because they see it as a waste of their time and money.

The thing I love about fitness first is that I can get access to all the gyms here in Brissy and in other states. Also love using the saunas, steam rooms and aromatherapy room- it's so relaxing. But yeah they do rip you off price wise. I'm paying around $70 a month.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

FF

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:42 am

Hey Corner of the Earth,

I totally hear what you are saying, and appreciate the situation of the PTs as contract workers.

When I took out my contract with the previous 'owners' before the 'take over' I signed up to a contract which included regular program reviews. Now it seems that they will 'honour' this but when push comes to shove because they put this on the the 'contract PTs' (apparently) who are as you say interested in getting their own bills paid. so of course they are going to not be interested in someone who is asking them to do something that they expect to be getting paid $65 for.

I think it however dispicable that an organisation that offers facilities such as FF does not have the personel back up to help consumers of the organisation to properly utilise the facilities.

I also think it disappointing when I have to pay extra for a service which I have already paid for and resent having to pay that extra. If I do do to a PT, then it will be a proper exercise physiologist and not some 6 week Cert III or IV if I'm going to have to pay the same amount of $$$ who at least has some understanding of more than generic programs, and is able to incorporate that knowledge into working with a person who has a specific health need.

All I can say is that the club has gone down hill ever since FF took over and will seriosly rethink my contract when it is up later in the year.

Nathan
[/url]
Nathan

Return to Exercise Talk