It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Anyone doing martial arts, and which one?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone doing martial arts, and which one?

Postby MissE » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm ooking at tarting martial arts classes for fun and fitness and also coz im an aggressive little girly and need to work it off.
Anyone doing them? which ones?
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby milkyway » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi Miss E,

I am currently doing Taekwondo which I love. Prior to TKD I did karate for a number of years but the requirements of the club were so demanding that I lost the passion for it (learning Japanese, doing nationally accredited coaching and first aid courses, taking tests on the history of our style *yawn* when all I wanted to do was kick and punch!)

I also have a teeny bit of experience doing Kung Fu and Kickboxing (the later I loved but only ever did the training for it - not actual ring fighting stuff, the former I felt like an elephant in ballet slippers clomping around all these graceful, elegant lithe creatures).

A lot of people argue the benefits of one martial art over another but I'll never get drawn into that - there's good and bad about them all. In my opinion, a particular martial arts style is only as good as the club and your instructors. And a good one will mix up and teach you a variety of techniques, from holds and arm & wrist locks, to wrestling and throws, weapons disarming etc, on top of your regular syllabus.

It sounds like you're more like me and interested in doing it for fun and fitness and to get rid of stress at the same time. Works for me! I would also like to think I've picked up some pretty damn good self defence skills along the way that would serve me well if I ever needed it to.

What i like best about Taekwondo is that it's universal - that means that the techniques and patterns (or 'forms') as they're called are the same here in Australia from club to club as they are in the States, Europe and Korea etc. That's also why it's an Olympic sport. I started learning TKD when I lived in Korea (when in Rome, as they say) and it's great that the techniques etc. are the same just up the road from my home in Melbourne :D

Karate on the other hand has 4 different systems and then literally 1000's of styles within each system, each influenced by the current sensai's who create their own spin off style. But also loved learning that for the 4+ years I did it.

So ultimately, it's probably more a matter of convenience and finding a club and a teacher that's right for you. Any good school will let you come down and watch a class or join in at no cost so you can work out if it 'feels right'. Walk away from anyone that demands up front fees and that you buy their club uniform straight away - they should let you train in your trackies until you work out if it's worth the investment... then later comes the mouth guard, the gloves, the shin guards, the breast protector etc.

But be prepared to have to pay a bit at the start - uniform, insurance, membership etc. can all add up to $200+ but then it's just monthly fees and grading fees every three months or so, depending on how often they're offered.

And contrary to what some people might think, there's not that many 'meathead' clubs around either full of mucho blokey blokes who just want to beat people up. It's always been a pretty balanced mix of men and women when I've trained and there's never been anyone I was scared to spar with (oh, except one nutter girl who had no self control and never pulled her punches... but she didn't last long...)

Any questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them - I'm far from an expert - it's just a hobby of mine that I've done on and off for 9+ years.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:23 pm

thanks so much for that info milkyway! im looking at a club that does a combination and gives you your first 2 lessons free and it looks really good. I'll le you know how it goes!
MissE

Postby milkyway » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 pm

That's great Miss E - that's exactly the sort of club you should be looking at. Sounds like you're onto a good thing already. I hope you have fun - I'm sure you will :D What sort of MA style is it?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:09 am

its called Kin Bushi Ryu.
Quote from the site:

Kin Bushi Ryu Karate Do literally means the Gold Warrior School Empty hand Way. Therefore practitioners of Kin Bushi Ryu Karate Do are studying the Golden Knights Way of the Empty Hand.

The main traditional systems incorporated into Kin Bushi Ryu are Karate, Judo, Kendo and Japanese Swordsmanship. The main modern competition techniques are from Kick-Boxing, Boxing and Thai-Boxing. We also utilise the skills of Ju Jitsu, Aikido, Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do. Hence the reason for Kin Bushi Ryu often being referred to as all styles or freestyle.

i think it sounds great!
MissE

Postby milkyway » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:16 am

Karate - cool! That does sound really good. No doubt your chief instructor has had a whole mixed bag of training and brings this into the dojo. I would love to learn some sword play... that would be sooo much fun :D
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 am

oh totally! i once went to a Doce Pares Eskrima lesson, (phillipino stick fighting) and it was awesome!! you can swap the sticks for swords and it was so much fun, but the place i did it at seems to have gone out of business now :(
MissE

Postby Chelle » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm

I don't do it but i'm looking to put my son in katate this year. My sister in-law does it. & she has lost a lot of weight out it. She has gone up the ranks almost black belt and will be teaching this year
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 pm

I used to do Aikido. I loved it. The good thing is that it is not based on strength so it is great for girls (since it works by redirecting movement of your attacker and utilising joints) and it is not an attacking sport, but defending sport which has the core philosophy of avoiding conflict.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby milkyway » Sun May 06, 2007 4:19 pm

Hey Miss E - did you start your karate class yet?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Sat May 12, 2007 2:16 pm

unfortunately not! i had a lovely suprise visit from a dear friend on monday and didnt get to the class. hoping to get there this week!
MissE

Postby milkyway » Mon May 14, 2007 9:03 am

Let us know how you go :)
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Tue May 15, 2007 12:04 am

So I went!! being a first lesson I spent all but the warm up off in a corner with an instructor learning the stances, bows, kicks, punches, blocks and kata. She says I'm picking it up really well, and next week I'm in with all the other people. I loved it! been practicing my kata all night, when dinner was heating, while the kettle was boiling, during a boring bit of the movie, lol.
MissE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:19 am

lol i can imagine you walking around the house doing all the moves haha good on you miss e keep it up
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 am

Sounds great MissE - sounds like you're a natural and will pick it all up in no time :D. It's pretty amazing where it can take your body. Sometimes I'm like "Wow! I can do that?"

I really like the whole traditional aspect of martial arts, learning the traditional stances, bowing when you go in and out of the dojo/dojang, bowing to the sensei/sabomnim and to each other before you spar or do a drill together, lining up in belt/rank order, listening to the commands in Japanese/Korean etc. It feels like you're part of some ancient tradition that's been around relatively unchanged for 100s and 100s of years :D

Enjoy!
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Exercise Talk