It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Energy levels after eating

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Energy levels after eating

Postby smileyguy » Sat May 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Does anybody find their energy levels different at different times of the day? I find if I jog 2 hours after dinner (around 8pm) the jog is much easier for me than it is if I go before breakfast first thing in the morning.

Is there a best time to do exercise in relation to time of eating?

If I really wanted to go in the mornign, what food would give me the wuickest energy supplies? I am guessing high GI foods. Is that right?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9BSbBe/]
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby Jisgone » Sun May 20, 2007 12:28 am

in the morning youde be running on empty so your energy levels would be lower, so your best to have a low gi food that will keep your energy levels up and stable for longer such as muesli or eggs and wholegrain toast. after tea youde still have energy from eating so thats why u would feel more energetic at that time of day :) its allll about energy going in versing energy going out
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Sun May 20, 2007 1:16 am

I always run better in the afternoons than the mornings. But when I have to go for an early morning run, or on the few occassions I've done a fun run and have to run early, I munch on a protein/carb bar like Growling Dog about half an hour before and I find it really does help.

But I've heard if you're trying to lose weight, the best time to exercise is first thing in the morning before you eat because your body has no immediate carb and glucose stores to use up so it defers to your fat stores... so I guess it comes down to whether or not you're exercising to lose weight or exercising for fitness?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Jisgone » Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 am

apparantly thats an old wives tail, u burn just as many calories no matter what time of the day u excercise :) but u need to eat something especially if your planning on a hard session cause u dont want to pass out half way through! when i do step classes in the morning the instructor always asks us if weve eaten first
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Sun May 20, 2007 2:25 am

But what about what energy source you use? I imagine that the calories burned would be the same regardless, but are you burning fat stores or glucose or some other kind of energy store first thing in the morning?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:56 am

i dont think it really matters when you are exercising the fact is that you are doing it. well done. if doing it at nights suits you - and it suits me too with my daughter being in bed then stick with it. i wouldnt exercise on a full tummy though. did that once before a run and threw up on the side of the road. make sure you are eating plenty of protein and carbs to get you energised :)
kate_turner2000

Postby smileyguy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 am

That's funny - I jog at nigh too because my kids are in bed then! I'm not sure if I believe you burn more fat in the morning (sort of) - that does make sense, but I can't jog as much because I have less energy then, so my theory is I end up burning less energy because I can't jog as much or as hard.
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby smileyguy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:43 am

If you eat low GI foods - does that mean you may eat more because you'll be hungrier? I want to eat something that will quickly give me some energy for the jog (say 30 min later) and last the whole jog.
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby Dolly » Sun May 20, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Smileyguy.
Protein usually outlasts the exercise and gives you a content feeling too.
A diet protein shake should see you though the jog (or like wise mix yourself some skim milk powder in a glass with water)
Dolly

Postby smileyguy » Sun May 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Sounds like my usual serving of all bran with low fat soy milk might do the trick then?
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm

that could work :) try it and let us know how you go :)
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Just thought you guys might want to see this:

(Taken from the article "Top fitness myths BUSTED!" in this month's Slimming & Health magazine)

"Exercising on an empty stomach increases weight loss
VERDICT: FICTION"

'It's a myth that exercising on an empty stomach promotes fat-burning.' Says Sharon Natoli. Research has indicated that we do not start burning fat stores until at least 20 minutes into a workout, which means that your body initially relies on glucose that has been broken down from the food in your stomach. 'Exercising on an empty stomach can lead to early fatigue, low blood sugar levels, diziness, and reduced endurance.' says Sharon. 'By eating prior to exercise your body will have increased stamina and can avoid low blood sugar.' A healthy diet combined with regular exercise of 30-45 minutes daily is generally recommended for effective weight loss"
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jisgone » Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 pm

thanks em thats very handy :)
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Sun May 20, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks for that, Em :)

I think they did a piece on it on that Channel 9 show on Monday nights but I didn't get to see it and wondered what the results were.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KimE » Tue May 22, 2007 7:48 pm

Personally I don't like to do exercise in a fasted state so if I want an early morning workout then I have to get up earlier still to ensure something is in the tum. It's probably why I love to exercise before lunch. I have a pre workout snack about an hr before of yoghurt, oats and protein powder, then have my lunch about 30-60 mins after my workout, usually some sort of sandwich or salad with lean meat.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Talk