It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:06 am

Free Newsletter

Treadmill = big calves and thighs?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Treadmill = big calves and thighs?

Postby Dotti » Mon May 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi everyone! Do you think that running/walking on a treadmill will lead to big calves and thighs? My fat stores in my tummy and thighs (I'm pear shaped) and I need to tone my calves and thighs, not get them bigger. Does incline make them bigger? Running Vs Walking? I'm scared that too much treadmill will actually make my legs thicker and not thiner. What's your thoughts?
Dotti

Postby milkyway » Mon May 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey Dotti - I am no expert by any stretch, but I think your calves & legs will be fine. I think you need to do weight/resistance training to build up big muscles.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KarinAnn » Tue May 29, 2007 11:51 am

Hey Dotti!
I use a treadmill all the time.. (Cept for the few slack days) I've never had a problem with my calf muscles getting bigger. I too was worried about that, as I've always had big calf muscles due to a lot of sports and running when I was younger. So didn't want them to be HUGE.. I haven't noticed them changing at all. I do half an hour of incline and half an hour of flat surface.. Hope that helps!

I was just on the treadmill before i came on here. I had a huge shocker.. I hit "reset" instead of "mode" :roll: So swore at it and jumped off.. Going to have to do it all over again soon.

**I can and WILL do this**
KarinAnn

Postby Chelle » Tue May 29, 2007 3:26 pm

I think it would tone your legs into shape, not make them bigger
Chelle

Postby Dotti » Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your comments :wink:
Dotti

Postby talia11 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:16 pm

My husband ( a personal trainer) says NO.
he says that it is a cardio workout therefore is weightloss - you may find out at first there might be some muscle gains, however just like goign on a new diet you experience weight gain but it is purely a cardio workout!
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby Chelle » Tue May 29, 2007 10:41 pm

how luck are you talia to have a hubby that is a PT.
Chelle

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 am

No way, you'll be fine. If anything it will tone the muscles and give you nice, shapely legs...
Even with weight training, females don't have the hormones needed to 'bulk up'
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 30, 2007 11:21 am

I'm a cyclist (like everyone didn't know that already) and that is supposed to really give you muscles in your legs. Mostly I have found that it has increased the muscle tone (firmer as opposed to flabby) and I DO have 'strong' thighs and butt and my calves are getting to be rock solid, however my genetics gives me 'stocky' musculature (thankyou to my ancestors, because of you I will never wear zip up knee high boots). I don't think I've bulked up just revealed what was there because I have lost a lot of the excess fat and firmed up the muscle. Same for my arms - lost fat, gained tone and a little strength = shapely arms capable of being in a strapless top without screams emanating from passersby with a good bicep bulge upon lifting the shopping.

So what am I saying? Oh right, technically you will build muscle through toning them, but it's not going to be "hey look at me I'm Arnold Scwarzenegger" type. If you genetically are built of the muscular, stocky legs frame (like me) then you are unlikely to have those willowy slender looks-like-I-could-break-em legs, but you CAN have well toned shapely legs and 'booty'. Oh and if you really want to get long lean 'dancers' legs, try pilates - apparently it helps 'lengthen' your muscles.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby talia11 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am

I know Chelle - he was kicking my butt at the gym last night.. he is a hard man..lol
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby Chelle » Wed May 30, 2007 2:11 pm

That's a good thing talia at least you know that you will get the results that you want.
Chelle

Postby grugwashere » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:10 pm

My Boss runs in marathons and he says that running up hills can build your bum muscles... but other than that i dont see why it will make them bulky.. it would probably just tone them.
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby SarahC » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Toning up muscles is a good thing as you really want to maintain or increase your lean body mass as this will increase your metabolism and help you burn more fat.

Treadmilling won't really make big muscles, you really need some weight training for that. Although treadmill with the incline is great for the calves 8)
SarahC

Postby ISparkyI » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:44 am

Have to agree with Talias husband on this one.

I have found since my last measurement that my thighs actually increased in size by a couple of cms. I have now started to notice my thighs and calves are becoming much more toned so it will be interesting to see the next measurement if they have gone down at all.

The thing is even if they increase in size the more tone the better as the shape of your legs will be moving into the areas they should be.

Shaun
Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

ISparkyI

Return to Exercise Talk