It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Free Newsletter

opinions please

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

opinions please

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 pm

ok,
This week I'm staying home to keep the heater cranking (otherwise we will freeze). Besides which it has been too cold and too icy at 7:00 to ride (it was -5 according to our car thermometer on Monday morning, the frost was so thick it looked like snow. It's supposed to snow to 500m today)

SO - today I decided to go for a jog instead (also to crank the jogging up for when we get a dog). SO this morning I did 5 laps around a park down the road (20 mins) by which time I was pooped, but was able to run a heck of a lot longer than before I started cycling, and then spent 40mins with a skipping rope and doing some steps and situps for a change of scenery. I was puffing and quite sweaty and warm despite the icy temperature.

My question: do you think this is adequate to substitute for my usual cycling. I feel that the intensity is higher (I was puffing more and felt more pooped afterward), but it's only 1 as opposed to 2 hrs.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 pm

i think its definately adequate tegan. i read the other day that if you walked for 2 hours and if you ran for 1 hour then you would burn more running in the one hour than the wlaking in the 2 because its higher intensity. something to do with the heat pumping and all that. maybe one of the PT can help you with your question from a professional point of view but i think you are burning just as many cals as it you were doing 2 hours.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:47 pm

hmmm, I did 1 hr of skipping in the new shed today (the weather is really cruddy) and am sooo stuffed. I was very wet with sweat puffing and I'm all shaky now. It definitely feels like twice the intensity of cycling, at least. But I had some extended skipping periods hen I got into he groove with some musing thumping.

it's been so long since I did something new exercise wise. My legs are so tight and crampy I kept having to stretch them out, particularly the calves (though I expected that from the cycling - it shortens the calf muscles making running more difficult).

The cute thing was the neighbours over the back fence had their little grandchild (I think) there and he was waving to me through the window, so everytime I stuffed up with the rope I waved back. What a cutie, he was very entertained.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby milkyway » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:04 pm

I think it's great to mix your exercising up a bit as I reckon your body gets used to do doing certain things and when you add a new activity to the mix, it gives you a bit of a jolt. Maybe this will help you get through your plateau :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:23 pm

hehe i love skipping :) you must be quite an entertaining person to watch skipping tegan :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:10 pm

I agree it looks like enough exercise to substitute for the cycling. Shorter time with a higher intensity sounds good.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:02 pm

except now my legs are ready to kill me. I could barely get out of bed this morning because my calves just would not allow me to straighten my legs. After a little while they were less stiff and now I'm just plain sore. So no skipping today, I walked to the supermarket to get some stuff for dinner instead.

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Exercise Talk