It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:47 pm

Free Newsletter

excerise when injured

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

excerise when injured

Postby milo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:37 pm

Well silly me fell over last saturday and sprained my ancle and my knee. Does anyone know if I should not be excierising and if I should what kind can I do?
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby milkyway » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Ow Mel - that must have hurt :(

I would avoid any weight bearing activity such as walking or running and other exercises that use your knees such as the rower and cross trainer.

Swimming might be OK, so long as you're not using your leg to kick - let your arms do the work. You could also do an upper body weights work out.

Hope you're feeling better soon, mate.

PS Good to see you back. How's the no smoking going?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby milo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:08 pm

I was doing ok with the smoking but I have been going out a fair bit so I have been having a few. But i am deermained to not have many as we are going to start trying for kids
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby reester33 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear of your injuries. Have you got a fit ball? You can still do some upper body and core exercises on that even if you have an injury, otherwise Milky's suggestion of swimming is good too.

Take it easy though on that leg because you can increase the inflammation which will mean longer healing time.

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:09 pm

you can do some weights with your upper body. i hope you feel better soon mel, and good on you for getting on top of your smoke quitting because you dont want it to cross the placenta to the bub!
kate_turner2000

Postby vanessa0305 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 pm

I second swimming. I tore a muscle in my ankle in November and was terrified of losing momentum with my weight loss going so well. I took up swimming for a number of weeks and continued to lose weight and keep fit. When I went back to normal exercise I found I was just as fit as before so I didn't suffer too much at all. However it was a long time till I was brave enough to exercise without the brace.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Re: excerise when injured

Postby Coach Steer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 pm

milo wrote:Well silly me fell over last saturday and sprained my ancle and my knee. Does anyone know if I should not be excierising and if I should what kind can I do?

Hi Mel,

The most important thing you can do for yourself right now is seek the advice of your health care professional (doc, physio, chiro, osteopath, etc - your choice). That person can give you guidelines concerning contraindications to exercise for your specific injury. The main thing is to avoid long term compensations which can eventually lead to all sorts of aches and pains throughout your body. You can also continually cause little micro tears in the injured area by using it too much, too early, thus delaying the return to 100% health.

In general, don't do anything that causes pain to the injured area. If you consider a scale of Rate of Perceived Discomfort (RPE), where 0 is absolutely no pain and 10 is the worst pain you have ever felt, you should be keeping the injured area at a 0 during exercise. When healthy, you can generally go up to an RPE of 3 safely, but you don't want to aggravate inflamed tissues while they are healing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Adam
Coach Steer

Return to Exercise Talk