It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

Shin Splints

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Shin Splints

Postby zojo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:15 pm

:shock: I have shin splints atm..does anyone know of any remedies that will fix it??

It's very painful to walk "normally" let alone walking 7 km/hr on a Treadmill :shock: :cry: :cry:

I managed to push thru the pain this morning..but OMG..did it hurt LOL..

zojo.
xx
START WEIGHT:80kgs
CURRENT WEIGHT:76kgs
6 WK CHALLENGE:76kgs
12 WK CHALLENGE:70kgs
ULTIMATE GOAL:60kgs
zojo

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:33 pm

hey :) Im sorry Ive never heard of shin splints...what are they?
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:33 pm

no good you are in pain either! :(
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby zojo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Playboy_bunny wrote:hey :) Im sorry Ive never heard of shin splints...what are they?

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Hmmm..LOL..I think I've answered my own question :roll: :oops:
zojo

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:59 pm

yeah, they're no fun at all zojo :(

is there other exercise you can do till they settle down - like swimming? don't forget to ice them if you do walk/run. but you might have to give them a rest for a few weeks.
sassi

Postby zojo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:19 pm

sassi wrote:yeah, they're no fun at all zojo :(

is there other exercise you can do till they settle down - like swimming? you might have to give them a rest for a few weeks.

No swimming is outta the question LOL... :oops:

and as for giving my shins a rest :shock: ..nooooooooooooooo :( I can't do that...how will I keep losing weight if I stop? I'll probably put it all back on :?

It's a bit hard to stay off my feet as I work everyday and then have to run around after 2 energetic Toddlers :?

Nice thought tho...

xx
zojo

Postby Chelle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 pm

You could always do upper body weight's & sit up's. But you need to rest so it can heal. Or go & see adoctor & see what you can do.
Chelle

Postby Fireball » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm

maybe on back you could do leg exercises which focus on the upper leg strength, e.g. leg raisers. Even bicycle riding with your feet in air becasue it uses muscles different may be ok - you could try and see if it seems uncomfortable or not. If you can afford a physio would be of great benefit - they could tell you exactly what you can do or not.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Ses » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:14 pm

I have had them a couple of times before. Drs usually advise rest. Usually they occur because you strain the bone by doing impact excercise too fast for your bones to compensate. Bone density increases in response to excercise - if you go too hard too fast you end up with shin splints.

Resting for a week, and then starting excercise again slowly - I mean slow - and increase back over 4 weeks, is the only way to let them heal.
[[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wg3ZtyW/]
[/url]
Ses

Postby milkyway » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 am

As far as I know, "shin splints" is the catchall for anyone with some lower leg pain after exercise and not actually a serious leg problem, ie there are "shin splints" (ie lower leg pain) and actual hairline shin fractures, which is quite different. Some people advise to train through the pain of "shin splints" because you'll eventually train your muscles to get through it/get used to it after a month or more... or there are those that advise total rest.

I'd probably however somewhere in between and suggest that you take up some non-weight bearing activity and focus on that.

Of course none of the above is not worth a grain of what your doc or physio or osteo etc. will tell you :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zojo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:53 am

Thanx Everyone for your advice :)

I had a very restless night last night due to the pain in my leg :(

I can't put much weight or pressure on it AT ALL atm :?

I get "Shin splints" quite often..when I say that, I think I had them approx. 3 or 4 months ago and they lasted for a good 3 weeks or so :shock:

I think I'll be taking up some of your low-impact exercise ideas and hopefully my weightloss will continue *fingers crossed*.

zojo.
xx
zojo

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:17 pm

From the info I have gathered & already mentioned here... concerning my shin splints and how it relates to my case...I have concluded the following.
Bone Density as SES said explains a lot. It’s normal to get shin splints when you have not been exercising & even more so when you combine this with being overweight! I always go it to hard & pay the price. In the past I would just train on through it, however this time round, I had no choice but to find another alternative as I would limp after every jogging session & the next day all day. (I had a very bad case of it…probably stress fracture!)
Cross training seemed to be my answer with Outdoor cycling the preferred choice to meet the high demand of cardio exercise I was looking for to continue aiding in my weight loss goal; in the hope I could soon start back up jogging.
After losing some weight through cycling & building up my muscles & Bone density via weight training & two weeks off jogging, I have now started again.
I can still feel a slight pain, however I believe it has heeled somewhat and by taking it EASY this time round with some rest days in between jogging, I have been getting good results with the recovery process.
Bone density is only one part of it…the way in which your feet support you weight is another factor that plays an important role. Most good runners have a perfect arc in their feet. Much like the arcs in your backbone support your upper body weight, so too does the arc in your feet when you are standing up straight. As we become over weight this arc tends to decrease and we become flat footed. The way in which the whole ankle supports are weight begins to destabilize and you will hear all sorts of terms mentioned for the multitude of conditions that arise from such feet ailments. Anyways, to cut straight through all the fancy medical jargon and so forth, it was not until I understood the importance the arc in the foot played, that did I realize how to correctly use a compression bandage to help with my shin splints.
By using a compression bandage wrapped correctly around the arch of the foot and up around the ankle…progressively up and down around this area did I find an immediate improvement with a jogging recovery program in the first week or so did I start lapping around the cricket oval again.
I am so excited, I am almost ready to let myself shred the kilo’s off by running!!!!!!!!
This is how I have gotten over the shin splints…Maybe it will help with you?
Good Luck & don’t give up Jogging/running…just take it easy first off…train yourself up to it…
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby MTE » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:02 am

I can't really comment on your situation much but, in the past, I'd used good ol' Wikipedia to decide I was getting shin splints.
It turned out I just had really bad shoes. Not only were they worn, they were the wrong size and width. After getting some decent shoes from a store with staff that know their stuff, they pain never happened again. But as I said, this probably isn't your problem, but the advice may helps others. If you think you may have this problem, get new shoes first :)
MTE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:48 am

great advice MTE. i alot of people i have noticed just assume that they have shin splints when in fact they dont. i had sore shins the other day and after a day of not exercising nearly as much as i usually do on other days they felt heaps better. probably because my shoes are skate shoes and not actual runners like i should be wearing (that i cant afford). im not getting the support in my ankles, feet or shins.
kate_turner2000

Return to Exercise Talk