It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Getting over soreness

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Getting over soreness

Postby ISparkyI » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 pm

G'day all

I have been recently exercising at a pretty fanatic rate the last few months but have hit a bit of a stoppage.

I played Squash on Monday night and cant get over my soreness . . I am sore just above the backs of my thighs *near my butt* and around the hips . .

I stretched before playing and am just wondering if there is something I missed . . or what to do now that I have this soreness.

I dont wanna miss any exercise for fear of hitting a complete stoppage.

Any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

Postby sassi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:17 pm

dunno about anyone else but i'm always more sore the second day after & then it starts to abate. so maybe if you're not any better tomorrow, then be more concerned?

maybe next time go for a walk & stretch afterwards as well? apparently the gentle walking afterwards can help with the build up of lactic acid.

i'm not expert though!

Postby KimE » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Perhaps you need to stretch more as in do some gentle yoga based stretching that gives it a good go.

Another thing (and I am no expert) if you have been training at a high rate you could be needing a slower pace for a while. What I am talking about is overtraining. I find if I keep the intensity too high for too long a period as in days of training not hours in the gym I get a bit burned out and have put it down to overtraining. Perhaps have some days of lesser intensity to so your body is getting enough time to recover from the exercise you are putting it through.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby ISparkyI » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:05 pm

thanks for the advice guys . .

i think at the moment i am putting it down to not stretching afterwards . . which to be honest i have never done . .

it is recommended though right ?
Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:27 pm

sorry you havent been feeling crash hot shaun :( i noticed the past couple of days i have done an exercise dvd and i have been sore from it. thats a warm up and warm down as well.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:06 am

A warm down of some kind is recommended (although I will fess up to being naughty and not observing this practice), generally stretching, slow walking etc is good.

If there is lots of strength training going on, try upping your protein so that your muscles can rebuild as quickly as possible. You could try massage on the sore spots.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby milkyway » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 am

I read about this somewhere recently. The muscle soreness you feel is actually tiny micro-tears of your muscles - that's why it's good to get lots of protein into you after you exercise. It's also a good thing because when they heal, they heal much stronger :)

I tend to get sorer the second day before feeling 'normal' again.

Also, all the personal trainers and taekwondo coaches I've work with this past year recommend only light stretching before exercise (but warm your muscles up first) and to do your deep stretching after exercising. You risk more injury when you stretch if your muscles are cold.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Like milkyway suggest. take some protein to help muscles recovery & I would stretch before & after. How long do you stretch for you probly need to stretch longer.

Return to Exercise Talk