It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Free Newsletter

Am I doing too much weight training?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I doing too much weight training?

Postby *KaTe* » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a dillema...

I reciently joined contours, which is basically circuit training. I have been going there Monday, Tuesday, Thurs and Fridays...and having personal training on Wednesdays...so Im not having a break of weight training in between...

The past month or so at my weekly weigh in at my naturopath I have gained probably around 5 kgs...

Im not too concerned with the scales...however it is a pretty big jump. I am eating very healthy and am happy in that respect...so could it all be muscle?

So my concern is am I doing too much weight training? Am I building up too much muscle? Im getting confused as some clothes are feeling better on me, however other clothes look worse!! I tried on some pants tonight that looked better on me last year when I was bigger! But when I look at myself in the mirror I feel Im definately getting toned, and my measurements are slowly going down...so this is where im getting weirded out!!

I've been playing the weight loss game for so long now its starting to get very tiresome...

Dont mean to be negative, I am positive 99% of the time..just what is happening to my body lately is concerning me alot. My periods are irregular etc so am working on that with my naturopath. Im guessing this may have an impact on my weight gain perhaps?!

Im going to talk to the ppl at contours tomorrow and have my app at the naturopath friday...just wanted to get some opinions from you guys before then..

Thanks for my reading my rant lol

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:19 pm

hey kate i would be interested in reading other responses incase this applies to me at some stage. keep us posted!
kate_turner2000

Postby Iwillbefit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:34 pm

If you've been on the diet thing for a while then you would understand for sure that muscle weighs heavier but takes up a much smaller space than fat. That would probably explain why you're measurements are going down but I dont' understand the pants thing at all.

Wish I could be of more help but that's all I know.
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:06 am

Muscles does weight more than fat. You would find that part's of your body has come down in size were other part's that you have focused on are more toned & have changed in size. What about your eating are you eating right?? That could also contribute to weight gain. With exercising you would probly need to break it up a bit & have a rest day or do walking instead of doing weight's 5 times a day. To give time for your body to heal. If you do weight your not ment to do weight no more than 3 times a week & I would probly do it every second day. Your personal trainer could probly give you some thing to read on weight training to give you a better understaning. Let us know how you go with the nautrapath.
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 am

here's my pants theory:

different styles suit different body shapes, right? So if you have been toning and building musce it is possible that your legs, butt, stomach etc have changed enough to make those pants no longer suit you any more? Kinda like when I was fat(ter) I used to wear over-the-belly-button jeans (which my sister was disgusted at). Now they look stupid and I wear low cut ones which just looked gross before.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Iwillbefit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:22 am

Well I can understand how depressing it would be - I just measured myself and I haven't even budged 1mm from my measurements from 1 month ago. I'm so annoyed!!
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby *KaTe* » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks 4 the responses... :)

After thinking about things today and getting some advice from the guys at work I've decided Im going to do weight training 3 days per week, and the rest of the week cardio...

I have a treadmill at home, and am going to hire an exercise bike...and buy a boxing bag... Also going to start playing squash with my bf just for fun and to mix things up a bit

Ever since I begun my weight loss journey over a year ago I have mainly done weight training exercises with personal trainers etc... I think its time now for me to add more cardio in. I am still doing a fair bit of cardio now but I think it's best if I have a break day inbetween weight sessions...

Will see how I go anyway, but I'm trusting what my instincts are telling me, and after being a little down in the dumps last night the universe has helped me overcome it with some good ideas, so im happy :)

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:51 pm

hey kate some great decisions there. cardio is really important for weightloss as is weight training so you need an even mix :) you are doing well :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:32 pm

First I have to say... you can never have too much muscle! The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism (and the more you can eat and still get away with it! Oops did I say that out loud :lol: )

I think I may have a similar problem, not 5kgs, but about 1.5-2kg. My weight appears to be going up or staying the same, yet I can't detect any difference in my measurements and my clothes aren't getting all that tighter. I tried on a top not so long ago that fitted me perfectly back in Feb, now the arm bands (it's short sleeved) are far too tight :shock: . I can notice my arms are musclier (is that a word??) than usual, slightly....

I reckon you could get away with 5 days a week weight training, as long as you are not working the same body part on consecutive days. For example if you do biceps one day, wait a few days before doing them again.

New excercise plan sounds good though :)
SarahC

Postby *KaTe* » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks 4 the advice Sarah :)

I had my weekly weigh in/measurements with my naturopath 2day and had some good results. A loss of 1.6 kgs and loss in measurements too...so Im very happy. My new eating plan has obviously been great for me, has taken a few weeks to kick in though...

We were discussing how I'd gained around 5 kgs within the past 5 weeks, and worked it out that I started gaining as soon as I started getting personal training done...I was going there 3-4 times per week, then cut it down to 2 days per week...

I just cancelled my training today, I am happy to come to the realistation I dont need it anymore, i can push myself hard enough! And just for the pure fact it obviously wasent helping me with my weight loss goals!

It has made me more fitter, so thats a positive Im going to be taking from it!

So now starting from monday im just going to go to contours Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and every other day do cardio..

Im really looking forward to the change, and am confident that this will help me become the person I'm striving for! I'm learning alot so I am greatful for that, trial and error as they say!

Also have been reflecting on my journey thus far, and have realised that for over a year I have had 3 personal trainers, all at different places...and that most of the training my body is used to is weight training...

So basically im very happy I've now realised what I have to do! So good news all round.

Thanks again 4 the advice everyone :D

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:52 pm

Sounds like you have got things sorted out Kate and well done on your weight loss, you must have been pleased with that.

I was going to say something similar to Sarah in that you can weight train most days provided you are working different muscle groups or using what is called split routines so all the muscles get a rest. I reckon though for weight loss 2 times a week is fine unless you want a more aggressive training plan. Cardio is great for fat burning plus the obvious cardiovascular benefits....the heart loves it! I think you may be on a winner and have a great attitude as well. Stick with it! :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

me too!

Postby ICANDOIT » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Kate its been really interesting reading your message as Ive been finding the same thing happening to me.
I used to gym a lot and lots heaps of weight and toned up but then had injuries so have stopped, and after 4 years have rejoined 4 mths ago.
But im looking great tone-wise but my weight has remained up and down around the same mark, yet my clothes are a lot looser so thats good, but im frustrated from losing the kilos.
I do weights t, w, f, sun and maybe its too much. M, TH and Sat i do cardio. I need to cut out one weights maybe and rest or add another walk in. Now its getting lighter and warmer i should try and enjoy the outside air as well.

Thank you for making me re-think my workouts.
Tomorrow is another day JMW
ICANDOIT

Return to Exercise Talk