It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

how do I include toning exercise to my routine

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

how do I include toning exercise to my routine

Postby chubbywife79 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 am

I want to include some toning exercises into my exercise routine. Since so far I'm walking now for at least 30 minutes. I don't know how to start them. I don't own any weights.

Thanks in advance

Postby milkyway » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Rochelle - there are some great resistance exercises you can do that will help with the toning thing. Things like push ups, tricep dips, stomach crunches, lunges and squats. Use an old stocking/panty hose as a resistance band to work on your biceps/triceps... use cans of food or bottles of (diet ;)) coke and raise them above your head or hold them in your hand straight out in front of you and raise them up - lots of weights/resistance training you can do in your own home without spending a cent :)

I recently saw a whole series of these types of exercises. I'll see if I can remember where it was and post it for you.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Sandra's right. I began my strength training program doing just what she suggested. 800g tins of tomatoes, was most miffed when hubby used them to make a huge batch of bolognese sauce. I said to him "you just cooked my weights!". The only expense I had initially was a book to show me the exercises and how to do them and there are plenty of sites out there with this info.

Sing out if you need any references and I will see what I can find.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby shelbel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:35 pm

I saw something in either take 5 or thats life a fair while ago about a lady who used plastic bags filled with mags as her weights, she even had them slung over the broom as well! :D I thought it was a great idea! I was using tins too until i got around to buying some small weights.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Return to Exercise Talk