It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Free Newsletter

My hubby bought me a prezzie

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

My hubby bought me a prezzie

Postby vanessa0305 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 pm

So hubby has started a new job and it pays quite well. So for his first paycheck he wanted to buy me a gift....

He bought me a 21 speed mountain bike and helmet!! How wonderful, I can't wait to get out today and use it!!

You know that your hubby has started thinking of you in a different light when he buys you a bike instead of choccies.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:39 pm

what a fantastic gift!! That's what I spent my first paycheck on, except I bought it for me!! :lol:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:02 pm

OMG that's fantastic, Vanessa. What a wonderful present. Your hubby sounds really thoughtful :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm

you're a lucky ducky!
kate_turner2000

Postby vanessa0305 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Does anyone actually cycle IRL (not exercise bike) how long do you cycle for? Any safety tips?
Vanessa

[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:12 pm

tegan is probably the best person to ask :)
kate_turner2000

Postby vanessa0305 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:27 pm

ow ow ow my poor butt!! How do I save my bum? It really took the joy out of my ride!!
Vanessa

[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby molligrub » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Buy some padded lycra bike shorts!! You can get ones with baggy shorts over top if ya don't like skin tight things. They have some padding in the bottom, and are called 'knicks'. Every good bike shop will have em. They work - I've done a 110km ride before, and my legs hurt way before my butt started to. But if I don't wear them, 5km down the road I am hurting big time.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wnqxaGD/]
[/url]

I am gonna exercise my butt off!! Literally!!
molligrub

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:35 pm

I don't have the butt problem - my bike seat has suspension which was by luck not design. So glad I have it though. I imagine you will get used to it in time though, but I'm sure the bike shorts with padding will help.

OK, riding tips.

How long has it been since you rode a bike?? Take it slowly to begin with and if it doesn't feel safe, don't do it. Don't be like me, think your the hot schnizit and come off, only to spend the next month tootling around at 5kph with your feet on the ground cause you're scared again!!!!

Wear a helmet. This bears repeating - HELMET!!!! I don't care if it messes up your hair. Proper bike gloves are also fantastic cause skun palms sucks the big one and they help with the nerve to your hands on long rides if they have padding. If you are really freaked about people being able to see you or if you ride in the dark get one of those high visability vests and lights for front and rear of your bike (this is law by the way when dark, at least in Tassie)

Now, for the actual riding. Make sure the bike is set up properly and NO YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO HAVE YOUR FEET FLAT ON TERRA FIRMA WHEN IN THE SADDLE. Your seat is the right height if, when standing next to your bike, it is at about hip hight. When on the bike with balls of feet on pedal in downmost position, your leg should be mostly straight, but with an ever so slight bend. This will help you maneouvre the bike and get the best power from your pedalling. And be sure you can reach your brakes easilsy.

If you are riding on the road, try the following exercise before entering the road. Stop. Close eyes. think to self "I am a car, I am a car" You are now a car, so act like one - and brush up on your state's road laws regarding bikes - In Tas, you are a fully fledged vehicle and have the rights and responsibilities thereof and you can ride 2 abreast, but no more. If you are all over the road ducking and weaving in and out of parked cars you run the ridk of having a door opened on you, being unable to get safely back onto a busy street or drivers being unsure of what you are doing, or having not seen you and getting hit.

If you are on a bike track, courtesy is paramount. Keep to the left. Warn people if you are overtaking them. say thankyou if someone stops to let you through a gate etc.

most important is BE AWARE of what is going on. Don't wear headphones, you need to hear people coming up behind you, cars reversing our of driveways etc so you don't have to emergency brake, which is scary enough when you really have to.

Those are some of the main things I've learned through experience.
You're welcome to ask any specific questions!

And I ride for about 2 hrs per day, 37km (when weather permits). Oh and I have been riding for 1.5 years now. My accident history:

1 crash involving injuries when I first got my bike and overestimated my skills - skun arms, bruised legs, scratches to face and a stick very nearly in the eye, saved by a pair of sacrificial sunglasses - I now ALWAYS wear sunnies or clear safety glasses - helps with bugs and cold wind too

Had a couple of not really accidents, just low speed "topples" where I lost balance and had to put a foot down unexpectedly.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby sassi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:09 pm

vanessa0305 wrote:ow ow ow my poor butt!! How do I save my bum? It really took the joy out of my ride!!
you do get used to it. and if you ride the bike tomorrow, expect it to hurt big time!! hehe. but the lycra shorts really help as well. my bike also came with a seat that is supposedly specifically designed for women.

i just don't enjoy riding my bike. well, that might be because i was riding it when i lived in edinburgh and the combination of hills & cobble streets killed me!!
sassi

Postby vanessa0305 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Thank you so much!!! All of that has been so helpful. Things I really needed to know. I am sure I will have more specific questions after my first few rides. I am surprised at how poorly I did in my first ride but after reading your post I understand a little better. My bike seat is too low and I couldn't stretch my leg out so I felt like the muscles in my thighs were in constant crunch mode and I felt the burn. That combined with my poor butt! I think I might check out the shorts as I don't have a suspension seat.....

I am a bit confused about my gears...how to use them really. When riding a bike in my youth, we had 3 gears....so 21 seems excessive.

I will remember my sunnies and some riding gloves in future too.

What do you do about water consumption? I have this trouble with running too. Do you stop to drink? When running, I can't even figure out how to run and take water with me.
Vanessa

[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:03 am

LOL,
I have a drink bottle holder thingy and have learned to drink on the ride (but I still have to stop pedalling). I am naughtly and actually don't drink during my ride, unless it's really hot/dry/windy. I ALWAYS have water there just in case though.

As far as gears, I will try and explain.

You have 2 sets of gears, front and back (called derailers for some stupid reason - since it's the bit that changes the chain that is the derailer if you want to de technical, but I don't so let's just say gears). The front gears, which are where your pedal is, generally have fewer gears and are kind of like a multiplier where you gradually step up through the back gears on front gear 1, then switch back to the lowest back gear and the next higher front gear

so you can have

front gear 1 by, back gear 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6
then you run out of back gears and you still want to go faster so you go to
front gear 2 by back gear 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6 and so on.

and the same in reverse

the lower the gear, the easier it is to turn the pedals, but the less the wheels turn. Usually this means that if it's a hill, you go down gears so it's easier to push, and you go slower. If you are going fast on a flat or pedalling downhill, you go up gears so that your legs don't fly off trying to keep up with the revolutions (called cadence in bike parlance for some weird reason)!!!!!

You can do all the combinations of back and front gears, BUT it's generally recommended to do the following combinations

Front 1 = Back 1, 2, 3
Front 2 = Back 3, 4, 5,
Front 3 = Back 5, 6, 7

this saves endlessly skipping through gears and also it saves your chain because if you look at your gears, if you have the lowest on the front and the highest on the back, it actually crosses on a diagonal and this leads to wear and tear earlier.

In practical terms this means (if we start from the lowest gear, which you generally don't, but for argument's sake)
Right hand (front) 1 - left hand (back) 1
RH 1 - LH 2 (changing up lect back gears
RH 1 - LH 3
RH 2 - LH 3 (so rather than change your left back, you change your right front)
RH 2 - LH 4
RH 2 - LH 5
RH 3 - LH 5 (changing that front gear again)
RH 3 - LH 6
RH 3 - LH 7 (and by this time you're dong about 45kph and yelling whoopee!!)

I usually stay pretty well in RH 3-LH 5 and shift from there depending on the situation

There are way more gears these days, but it is easier to go faster with more gears (since that way you don't have your legs bouncing off at high speeds (with a narrow band of low gears), or conversely if the bike has a narow band of high gears, need legs like a weightlifter to get off the start line!!!)

As for changing gears, it's a bit like changing gears in your car, but without a clutch. You need to ease off a bit on the accelerator (pedalling) when you change so you don't get everything in a crunch and bang. For a while you might try stopping pedalling, changing then slowly easing back onto the pedals. After a while you will get the hang of mid pedal changing and even changing smoothly on hills!!! (to start with I would advise getting into the correct gear BEFORE the hill)

oh and if the chain jumps off, don't panic. there's a bit near the back gears that kida holds the chain away from the gears and moves backwards and forwards (far as I can see it's supposed to keep tension on the chain). If you push that back towards the pedal you can manually put the chain back on the cog (spiky gear bit). This will make your hands icky.

A cleaner cheat is to put the bike into a higher front gear and pick the back tyre up and spin the pedal (watch your shins). This will often get the chain back on without getting your hands dirty.
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Playboy_bunny » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:06 am

wow! :shock: Lucky duck! :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Vanessa - I got a fuel belt for my longer runs. It has a little pouch for keys/phone too which is quite handy.

It looks exactly like this:

You can get them with just two little bottles, too. It fits snugly and doesn't bounce around at all. I don't even notice it's there. I usually only take 2 bottles with me, but I got the 4 bottle belt as I expected to need it for running longer and longer distances.

It cost around $50 and I bought it at a bike shop.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:35 pm

thats really cute!! i want one with pink bottles :)
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Exercise Talk