It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:41 am

Free Newsletter

Martial Arts

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Martial Arts

Postby Immortal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Martial Arts is one of my favourite methods of training and sport...

So I figured I'd start a thread so that everyone can post there thoughts and experiences in Martial Arts...

If you have any questions please ask them, I'll do my best to help answer any, but If I don't know, I will say so.
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 am

I love it!

I started out doing karate in 1998. I left Australia in 2001, just 3 months shy of my black belt grading. I moved to Korea and took up Taekwondo (when in Rome...) which I also really enjoyed, especially because of all the kicking. I got my 1st dan there and was training for my second dan but once again, skipped the country before I could grade :?

When I came back to Australia, I went back to my old karate club but I didn't enjoy it anymore. All the people I used to train with left and I didn't connect with anyone there so I quit. I had to start back at white belt until I could prove I was worthy of a 1st kyu brown belt! Took about six months but I got back there.

In Feb this year I started back at Taekwondo and I'm really enjoying it. It's a really relaxed club and the people are great. I started in the white belt classes because it's been about three years since I did it and I've forgotten all of my poomsae, plus this club has specific self defence drills etc. I've never done before and have to pick up. But they let me wear my black belt cos TKD is the same the world over - not that I care about that - I just do it because I like the training. They want me to do my 2nd dan grading in December, but I don't think I'll be ready, so I'll hold off until next year.

I really enjoy it because it's empowering (heaven help the person who ever jumps me :P) and I am frequently amazed by the things my body can do and the limits that can be pushed.

I think I've reached a plateau - I won't get any better at it. I'm over competitive stuff now and have retired from sparring and just do it for 'maintenance'. It's good to see some of the young 'uns there getting right into it, competing, trying out for state teams etc.

I've done other bits and pieces along the way - a bit of kung fu and kickboxing. I was sooo bad at kung fu - it's beautiful to watch others doing it well - I was just unco and a bit too chubby when I did it - definitely one for the slim and lithe :P

So Immortal - what's your poison and how did you start?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am

when i was in year 8 i think it was they had taekwon do classes down at my local community hall. and my friend and her sister who were quite large girls (well we all were for our age!) wanted me to join with them. so i did. i really enjoyed it, until i found out that to progress with belts that you have to go to a 'exam' type thing where you are judged. BUGGER THAT! any sort of public display makes me nervous. so i think i went for about 4 weeks and thats it. mind you i did dancing when i was younger and used to get butterflies, but think i lost a lot of confidence in front of people when i was in an eisteddfford (dance competition) doing a solo that my teacher finished teaching me the night before and i forget the steps at the end. :roll: :shock: :(
i think martial arts is wonderful though :)
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 am

i did a kickboxing class years ago & i loved it. it had emphasis on self-defence as well. i only went for about 5 weeks & then i went overseas.

i'd love to do kickboxing again, i really enjoy it. the one i did was all non-contact but i wouldn't mind one where you got to do some sparring.
sassi

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:05 pm

I did Aikido for 2 years (I think??) and loved it. Good for girls cause it's not strength based and is a defensive rather than offensive one (i.e, no kicking punching etc). I recently did a self defence dealing with aggressive clients course and much of what they taught came almost directly out of what i learned at Aikido.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Aikido is fab! All of the self defence moves we're taught at TKD are direct from Aikido. I'm not very good at them though. We also do Filipino stick fighting. I'll start that when I move up to the next class :P Can't wait!!! I'd really love to focus on weapons training in the future.

Kate, that's a shame you didn't have the confidence to do the 'test' thingie :( My karate ones were gruelling (4-5+ hours, urgh!) wheras the TKD ones were much simpler. I went to watch the 2nd dans grade recently and their grading was for about 1.5 hours. Phew!!!

I did a self defence course taught by a karate school when I was 18. I did it with a few friends. I really liked it and stayed on at the school but I was sooo busy at that time (uni, netball, doing theatre productions) that I had to give something up and it was the last thing I took up, so bye bye karate. man, I wished I had stuck with it then rather than picking it up as a 25 year old.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 pm

I do boxing everynow & then love it but can't get there every week.

My sister-in-law does Takawondo one away from her black belt. I'm wanting Josh (my son) to join up next year. I think it will be good for him.
Chelle

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm

My Poison... And how I got started? Here goes...

Predominantly I study Tae Kwon Do, but it is a style used for practical street self defence... I sort of call it Jeet Kune Do Tae Kwon Do. The focus of 70% legs to 30% hands has been changed to 50/50. As our Master instructor was a boxer for years. Alot of grappling has been included because another of our instructors studied Aikido. We also do alot more weapons work cause another instructor went and learnt Kali. When training, we focus on training for street confontations, we restrict kicks above the waist, and we can use any techniques we like during sparring, because you never know what to expect. The Instructors actively encourage you to learn aspects from other Martial Arts styles once you get into your higher ranks.
I myself have trained in Tae Kwon Do for nearly 8 years. I've still got a while to go till I get my Black belt, but I have also studied 2 years boxing, 6 months Capoeria and 6 months Aikido in that time. I'm now looking into learning some Ninjitsu to throw in.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:04 pm

I started doing Tae Kwon Do & Boxing iniatially because I was tired of always being in fights at school (the bully's picking on me) and getting my but kicked. So I decided it was time to learn some self defence. The strangest thing is, after training for about 6 months and starting to figure out how the whole process of surviving a fight works, I never got into another situation for a fight. I guess something changed, allowing me to be more aware of my surroundings, and processes to avoid fights as well.
So these days, I'm always looking into the self defence applications of any martial arts system.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Kate,
If you look around for a good school & talk to the instructors, you may be able to find a school that can assist you in your gradings, whilst not putting you in a position that makes you feel uncomfortable. Esp. in your beginning stages as well. The other way of thinking in a grading, is to just think of it as a normal class. Which is why I always train seriously, in every class.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:11 pm

Chelle,
I understand what you mean by wanting your son to train in a martial art. The way the world can be these days...
I wanted my nephew, whose just gone 6 months, to train when he got a little older. I'm lucky in that my sis asked me to help him with some training, and when he's old enuff start taking him to some martial arts schools.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:19 pm

Immortal wrote:Kate,
If you look around for a good school & talk to the instructors, you may be able to find a school that can assist you in your gradings, whilst not putting you in a position that makes you feel uncomfortable. Esp. in your beginning stages as well. The other way of thinking in a grading, is to just think of it as a normal class. Which is why I always train seriously, in every class.

my brother is 28 and he did tae kwon do with a relative of mine and they only did it for fun and made it clear to the tae kwon do people that theyr were not there to do gradings. and they did really well just going week by week and learning tae kwon do without having the stress of gradings.
kate_turner2000

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:35 pm

Yeah, that works as well, My instructor is the same... I used to worry about how quickly I could get too and complete my next grading, it took me a while to realise what he had always been telling me... If 2 people start at the same time, and train every week, at the end of 1 2 or 3 years and so on, you might be different ranks, but you'll both know the same tactics, techniques etc.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby Chelle » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Chelle,
I understand what you mean by wanting your son to train in a martial art. The way the world can be these days...

Deffinately, plus I think it's good for disipline, whenever I get to go to boxing they have the little kids doing martial art's it's so cute watching them. Next year also his going to play league (football) aswell I can't wait. Next year will be busy.
Chelle

Postby Immortal » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:36 am

Martial Arts training can actually be beneficial to other sports. It can teach them things like, how to react when they fall down, so that they don't break a bone. Like rolling with the fall rather than trying to stop it.

[/url]
Immortal

Next

Return to Exercise Talk