It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 am

Free Newsletter

Martial Arts

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Martial Arts

Postby SvGirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:13 pm

:D Hi Immortal! Nice to see someone apprieciates good movies when they see them! R.I.P Brandon. Anyway as you can see i'm currently over weight at 87kgs, and 179cm tall.
Now thinking bout learning some self defence, what would you guys recommend for ultimate weight loss and self confidence?
I will be skinny one day!
SvGirl

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi SvGirl - I wouldn't necessarily say that one martial art is better than another for weightloss or learning self defence techniques. It comes down to your instructor(s) and what they bring to their teaching that ultimately determines the type of training you receive. I'd say they're all pretty good for weightloss - resistance training, cardio, flexibility and covering all components of fitness while. A lot of the self defence techniques I am learning at the moment (wrist locks, what to do when someone grabs you around the neck, from behind etc.) come from Aikido.

Here's something I posted a while ago that may help:

I am currently doing Taekwondo which I love. Prior to TKD I did karate for a number of years but the requirements of the club were so demanding that I lost the passion for it (learning Japanese, doing nationally accredited coaching and first aid courses, taking tests on the history of our style *yawn* when all I wanted to do was kick and punch!)

I also have a teeny bit of experience doing Kung Fu and Kickboxing (the later I loved but only ever did the training for it - not actual ring fighting stuff, the former I felt like an elephant in ballet slippers clomping around all these graceful, elegant lithe creatures).

A lot of people argue the benefits of one martial art over another but I'll never get drawn into that - there's good and bad about them all. In my opinion, a particular martial arts style is only as good as the club and your instructors. And a good one will mix up and teach you a variety of techniques, from holds and arm & wrist locks, to wrestling and throws, weapons disarming etc, on top of your regular syllabus.

What i like best about Taekwondo is that it's universal - that means that the techniques and patterns (or 'forms') as they're called are the same here in Australia from club to club as they are in the States, Europe and Korea etc. That's also why it's an Olympic sport. I started learning TKD when I lived in Korea (when in Rome, as they say) and it's great that the techniques etc. are the same just up the road from my home in Melbourne :D

Karate on the other hand has 4 different systems and then literally 1000's of styles within each system, each influenced by the current sensai's who create their own spin off style. But also loved learning that for the 4+ years I did it.

So ultimately, it's probably more a matter of convenience and finding a club and a teacher that's right for you. Any good school will let you come down and watch a class or join in at no cost so you can work out if it 'feels right'. Walk away from anyone that demands up front fees and that you buy their club uniform straight away - they should let you train in your trackies until you work out if it's worth the investment... then later comes the mouth guard, the gloves, the shin guards, the breast protector etc.

But be prepared to have to pay a bit at the start - uniform, insurance, membership etc. can all add up to $200+ but then it's just monthly fees and grading fees every three months or so, depending on how often they're offered.

And contrary to what some people might think, there's not that many 'meathead' clubs around either full of mucho blokey blokes who just want to beat people up. It's always been a pretty balanced mix of men and women when I've trained and there's never been anyone I was scared to spar with (oh, except one nutter girl who had no self control and never pulled her punches... but she didn't last long...)

Any questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them - I'm far from an expert - it's just a hobby of mine that I've done on and off for 9+ years.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Martial Arts

Postby SvGirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey thanks for your quick reply! You seem to have alot of experience! I just want a martial art that you don't have to spar with anyone for! Anyway good luck!!
SvGirl

Postby milkyway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:33 pm

If that's the case, you should try a kickboxing or boxing class where you just learn the techniques but don't actually have to spar. Great for weightloss and cardio work out and you'll get to practice punching/kicking with bags/pads.

All martial arts classes I've done have involved sparring and it's pretty much a requirement -- but it's in a controlled environment and you're usually paired with someone of the same belt level (or with a black belt who treat you kindly). It may seem scary at first (I still get butterflies when partnered with a new person cos I don't know their style!) but when you're just practicing, it's a lot of fun.

My sparring competition days are over but I still do it at my club as a part of training when required. It's probably the best self defence training you can do -- I know now what it's like to be hit in the head and knocked to the floor, to see stars, to be winded, to break a bone etc. and most importantly, keep going :P so if it does happen for real, it won't be such a shock... but that's not 'normal' and what to expect in a regular martials arts class - I used to train full contact for sparring competitions!!!

In Taekwondo, we wear full body protection (helmets, vests, guards etc.) so there's not much chance of getting hurt.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:10 pm

I used to love when our Aikido teacher would decide to have an all on 1 just before class finished. 1 person would go in the middle and everyone else would take turns attacking them and you had to do anything to get out of it. Style was not particularly emphasises - it was an exercise in improving reaction times.

Most of the time we learned by pairing off and practicing the holds etc - there's no other way really because they involve grabbing certain parts of arms/hands and moving in certain ways to manipulate the joints, or avoiding oncoming movement. these were always done relatively slowly and always gently/carefully with an emphasis on learning the technique.

Every time at the start of training we would run around and do situps, pushups and practice breaking falls which was very energy intensive.

I have done a few kickboxing classes and they were much different, more focussed on repetitive motions of kicking/punching and the closest to 'sparring' we did was kicking or punching to a target held by a partner.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Immortal » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:20 pm

For weight loss, with no sparring, Milkyway probably has the best suggestion with a Tae Box type fitness class. The only thing with those type of classes is that often they have the problem of focusing on the Cardio, to the detriment of the technique. And when they don't show you, or teach you, how to perform a kick or a punch properly, it becomes very easy to do a technique incorrectly and cause injury.
Victims; Aren't we all...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wX0EW8N/]
[/url]
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:33 pm

The Tae Kwon Do systems are quite a lot rejoiced compared to Karate. However, there are 2 systems of Tae Kwon Do which do have 2 different sets of patterns. The World Tae Kwon Do Federation and the International Tae Kwon Do federation. I myself, train under the WTF format, having tried the ITF format and not liking it.

[/url]
Immortal

Martial Arts

Postby SvGirl » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys, it's given me alot to think about :roll: I'm going to try the lemon detox diet when i get the money together! Saving for a holiday :cry: I'll definatly fill you in when i start it!! :lol:
SvGirl

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:28 am

Hey Milky,
Can't say I've had too many bruises or injuries during my training... except for the big one... I got a little bit ambitious whilst training, and tried a jumping double instep. Whilst I was in the air, I could feel through my body that something just wasn't right. Then I landed, and the pain began. I'd snapped the Cruciate Ligament in my knee. Took 2 years and 3 operations to repair fully and stabilise.

[/url]
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:29 am

What I have done in Aikido, I really enjoyed... I would love to go back to it at a later stage in my life and do some more training.

[/url]
Immortal

Previous

Return to Exercise Talk