It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Kyles » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi there,

I was looking at joining Curves and understand they have alot of centres around. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been to one and if they found their fitness program beneficial.

I am going for a appointment tomorrow as like most gyms cant give you a price over the phone as they like to put the pressure on you once in the door.

I understand that their programme involves 30 min work outs in a circuit type situation so therefore higher intensity and good weightloss is achieved.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has gone.

Many thanks

Postby Fairie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi Kyles,

I haven't been to Curves, I can't afford Sure Slim and Curves but I have only heard good reports about them.

My niece is a PT and works for them she say's they are very good but expencive.

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Kyles, I know 3 women from weight watchers that were at a plateu for so long, then the three of them joined curves and lost all their weight in no time flat. One of the ladies said you start off on one machine and when the bell rings you get off your exercise machine and go on the next one in a circular fashion until your 30 minutes is up.

They said it got easier each time they went.

Postby PaulaR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi Kylie,

I joined Curves late last year and really enjoy it. I get bored very quickly and what I like about this program is that every 30 sec you change equipment. I do about 2-3 circuits and it feels as though the 30mins is up in no time at all. I also feel stronger. There are 5 people at work now all joined up and we all enjoy it. Each centre is run differently so I recommend trying out other centres with a travel pass if you can. The one near my work plays games whilst you work out like trivia and the one closer to my home plays music and they have a staff member in the centre of the circuit encouraging you. I much prefer that as the music keeps me pumped.

My sister (in Brisbane - I'm in Sydney) has also joined up with a girl from her work. We have a family doctor in Brisbane who does a lot of work with morbidly obese people and he says that weight resistence work outs are very good for weight loss (provided you are putting out more than you are putting in).

I haven't had my first weigh in yet but will do in a couple of weeks. It's probably more expensive than most gyms but with Curves I don't have to think about what I'm going to do. I just join in the circuit and go for 30 mins. There is a little voice over tape that tells you when to change stations each 30 sec. They also do a heart beat check regularly and have a table so you can make sure you are working out at the correct pace.

Let me know your thoughts after you've been. I hope you find a program that suits you - exercise is so hard if you don't enjoy it!

Return to Exercise Talk