It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

feel to fat to excercis??

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

feel to fat to excercis??

Postby grugwashere » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 pm

does anyone else feel like this:

i feel as though when i excercise people are looking at me and going "ugh dont bother" like there is not point....

just nervous about hitting the gym is all.
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:42 pm

yep - totally familiar with that one and it prevented me form doing any exercise for many years. I felt like everyone thought I was a loser if I even broke out in a sweat or started puffing.

The best way to challenge this erroneous belief (and it is) is to get out and do it. I soon found that people weren't looking at me and thinking horrible things. they were just getting on with their day.

Sure you will get the ocasional idiot being a fool, but you get that anywhere, anytime right?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby shelbel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:16 pm

Oh yes i know this one well!!

I live in a busy area and i hated going for a walk outside even more so when its peak hour!!, i was thinking the same sort of things too. That people were looking at me thinking bad thoughts.

So i brought some exercise dvds and a stepper and i hide inside and do my sweating in private! LOL :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby ali » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

I definitely can relate to this feeling as well! Im sure most people here can!

Some days I dont want to leave the house because im ashamed of what i see in the mirror, i also look hideous in gym clothes and cant afford to buy some new ones :(

But most of the time i dont care because it makes me feel better and where I walk, everyone is just minding their own business and exercising as well (however most of them run... I walk... :roll: )

I just tell myself, I dont know these ppl, they dont know me and im never going to see them again.

I find it better to exercise where there are a lot of people doing the same thing so you just blend in. The other day I took a different route and ended up in the cbd where everyone was dressed nicely in suits and heels, i felt so stupid and out of place. Much better on the walking track where everyone is doing exercise :D

Hope you can encourage yourself to get out there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:00 pm

yep you arent alone jo! even doing my workout dvds in front of mick makes me cringe!
kate_turner2000

Postby BusyMum » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Oh I definately dont do workout video's infront of DP. I would laugh at me, if i could see myself! I am so unco lol.

But Here Here to feeling like that. I do too.

That just reminded me of that lady that was on sunrise ages ago who started off walking around her clothes line in her back yard, cause everytime she hit the streets she'd have people making comments about her out their car windows, etc. She had actually written a book about her journey too but I cant think what the book was called. Does anyone else remember it?
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby shelbel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:05 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:yep you arent alone jo! even doing my workout dvds in front of mick makes me cringe!

Oh yeah im the same with that too! I banish Graham to another room and tell him he cant come out for x mins till im done!! Sad i know! LOL
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby sassi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:20 pm

:lol: i do the same thing - NO ONE watches me do a dodgey exercise dvd. the exercise bike i don't mind though. although i have nearly fallen off straining to see what he was looking at on the computer :oops:

feeling too fat is a reason i don't like gyms. i know realistically that people are there for their own workouts but i still feel really uncomfortable.

i also go realllllly red when i exercise so i get a bit self conscious about that too. i should really just stop caring!
sassi

Postby grugwashere » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:37 pm

well i did it... i tackled my first work out and im so glad i did it, the whole time i thought about why i was there and all the great things i will be able to achieve as a thinner person. mostly feeling confident enough to ask out the guy i like... hehehe
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby MTE » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 pm

I can certainly relate.

When I first started, I was a little worried about looking silly, especially because I was riding. Now, I don't care. Sure I've gotten some insults, but I've also gotten some encouragment.
MTE

Postby ali » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Good on you for taking the plunge! The first time is often the hardest.

Im always apprehensive before a work out but I always come back from it feeling great, knowing ive done something positive for me.

I often think about my dream figure also, to help spur me on! Hehe.

Keep up the good work! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm not fat anymore but I can tell you I'm not the only one at the gym who thinks this but I always draw strength from seeing fat people at the gym giving it everything. I usually think they have tremendous strength and courage of heart to shove aside the ridicules of a shallow society and soldier on to achieve their goals. I have a lot more respect for the fat girl on the treadmill getting horrifically sweaty, gasping for air and have her treadmill inclined at 5% than for the skinny gym queen with 6 layers of make up on in her designer gym wear going painfully slowly on the bicycle making eyes at the boys or reading her retarded fashion magazine.

So long as you're giving it 100%; fat, skinny, short, tall, you're all equals in the gym.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 pm

I felt too fat to be seen exercising. When I first started I used a treadmill at home and then advanced to walking a deserted road out the back of our place. When I got under 100kgs I realised I needed more help so I joined Curves. It really helped me to get into the routine of exercising. everyone there looked the same as me. Now I am much fitter and need more I go to a normal gym and I now realise how silly I was. Nobody cares what you look like at a gym. Everyone is there for the same reasons. Everyone is just trying to get their own work outs done without dying. Nobody really looks down on another there just because they are thinner or fitter. We all had to start somewhere!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby madeline » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:29 pm

Join a smaller gym... i.e. not fitness first, curves or fernwood

My gym is so small, every class is like personal training! there are 4-6 people in each class with an absolute maximum of 10. My fitball class today was with 2 other ladies, and a man and they were all 50 yrs +, my trainer was about 35 years old. I don't feel conscious at all! My Tri Class was with 3 other ladies around 35-45 years old but they were so fit! I think you just need to find a gym and people that you feel comfortable around. In the actual gym, people just focus on their own programs so you don't feel watched. I know what you mean though, I would never exercise in public or in one of those glitzy gyms :?
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby oostevens » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 pm

madeline wrote:I don't feel conscious at all!

your unconscious? (sorry not meaning to pick on ya he he i thought it was cute)
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Next

Return to Exercise Talk