It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Free Newsletter

change of tactics

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

change of tactics

Postby linda » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:02 pm

I bought a 9 week membership to give my weight loss a kick start. For the first 6 weeks I religiously went 5 times per week. Lost around 8kg and then i found I was finding it hard to motivate myself to go, so I dropped back to twice a week. Now membership has expired, so I decided to try exercising at home and see how i go. So I have been going for a bike ride for 15 mins, then walking fast paced for 10 mins (i walked the same speed as I was on the treadmill - I know this as i walked to the same music), then when i got home I did 3 x 30 step ups, then 15 mins of pilates. I have been doing this for the past few days. Now what I want to know is: is the workout I am doing at home as beneficial as going to the gym? I was thinking maybe i should invest in a pair of dumbbells so I can do some strength training also.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:40 pm

definitely - you don't need to go to a gym to have a good workout. And you don't really have to buy equipment either. Try a couple of bottles of water for weights or cans of food. As long as you make sure the intensity is optimal, you can get just as much benefit at home in my opinion. What gyms are good at is giving you initial support to work out what is a good work-out and showing you the types of exercises that are available.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Yep home workout definitely as good as gym. And you have the extra bonus that you can do it any time you want, not just within opening hours!

Sounds like you've worked out a good all-round exercise program. Pilates is great for muscle strength (according to my physio) but good to mix up your exercise program so you don't get bored so your idea about adding a little weight training sounds great.

Cans and bottles are a great alternative to bought dumbbells. Once you find bottles of water easy to lift, fill your bottles up with rice to make them heavier - sounds silly but it works.

Happy exercising,
Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Hey Linda,

Angel is right on the money - what you are doing at home is just as good as what you could do at the gym in terms of exercise benefits.
A lot of the benefit of joining a gym is if you want to life weights seriously, enjoy classes or are competitive (i.e. work harder when in front of others).
One more thought to help your home exercise program - if you need to challenge yourself further on toning, and in a 'good for you' kind of way, doing resistance exercise against your own weight is really good and doesn't require you to buy any equipment.
e.g. push ups, graduating from knees to toes; step-ups (use a chair) and tricep dips (you can graduate these too, by moving your legs further away from the chair).
http://www.ptonthenet.com has some really good stuff you can do at home if you want to get serious...

:D
Annie

Postby Dolly » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi Linda, I'm losing weight by just doning a home workout.
this page may also help you
Click Here - http://www.weightloss.com.au/exercise.html

PS. congratulations on the step-up repititions
Dolly

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks for all of your help, the more I think about it, the more I think I can make it work. The link you provided was really good, gives ideas about exercises and that combined with what I learnt at the gym, I am pretty confident that I can plan myself a routine that works and of course the benefit being I can do it any time, and I actually have found ebay is a great place to purchase used fitness items.

Postby BigM » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:28 am

certainly home gyms can be as beneficial as going to a regular gym. Personally i don't like the gym feeling or paying and it's more fun to go out for a walk outside than on run on the spot. Besides, i can't take my dog on a treadmill in the gym either and she's my fitness partner ^_^
BigM

gyms

Postby Candice » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:43 pm

I had a 3 month membership at the gym from about jul-sept last year. At first I went upto 4-5 times a week for a month or so, then starting slacking off because it used to take 25mins or so to drive there and at the time petrol was expensive. But i found going to the gym I lost weight and everyone kept telling me I was looking good. Now that I'm not going I just feel like a blimp and I always crave the feeling of just being able to go to the gym but I dont want to pay the fees!

I guess if you want to go to the gym, make sure you choose one close to you.

Now I'm just trying to get back into walking to see if that works - but if worst comes to worst and I can't lose much walking I'll be right back at the gym regardless of price because thats what worked for me and I saw results.

For the people who do walk regularly, how long do you usually go for? and do you do any other exercise apart from walking?
Candice

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Candice,
I usually go walking for 1-1.5 hours a day. Then I do a bit of strength exercises occasionally (situps, pushups, squats, leg lifts). I also play badminton once a week when the center is open. I should probably get back in to pilates as well.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Annie » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi Candace,

I really like doing Pump classes at the gym and then going for a walk or on the elliptical trainer machine. If you do weight training first, your metabolism kicks into gear just a little bit more, and you burn a higher percentage of body fat when you are doing your cardio. And every little bit counts, right?
If you don't want to join a gym, there's heaps of great exercise tapes out there including scupting (same effect as lifting weights) or you can get a couple of dumbbells and do your own thing.
:D
Annie

Postby Candice » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:38 pm

Thanks for your tips guys!

Annie, I tried Pump class once before and it was not too bad but because I had never done weights like that before I was sore as anything for days on end.

I have some pilates tapes that I have tried for abdominal exercises and you can feel theyre working your body but I want something to strip the fat off me at the moment.

I think I need to increase my walking because at the moment I only go for about 35-40mins - a very brisk walk. I danced around the lounge room last night for 15mins before I went walking so if I keep that up and add some stretches I might be on the road to losing it.
Candice

Postby linda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:38 pm

I ride my bike to the local high school, walk a few laps of the oval, ride home. I bought a 2nd hand reebok step, jump around on that for about 15 minutes, then use the step as a bench press, lay on it and lift 5 kg dumbells, then do some stretches, all to music of course, the only thing that motivates me. I just don't listen to music while riding for safety reasons.
linda

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Hey Candice,

The best way to strip fat is to lift weights as well as do cardio work (e.g. walking, bike) because lifting weights builds lean muscle mass, which increases your metabolism so that you burn fat quicker.

I was really sore after my first Pump class too, but now I've been doing them for a few months my muscles are used to it. Stick with it and you'll do wonders to your strength and metabolism.

:)
Annie

Postby natalie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:01 pm

Hello Girls
I found this thread very interesting and it has given me alot of ideas.I was considering joining a gym but I think now I dont need to. I have a treadmill at home but I think my biggest problem is not doing enough weights.

I need to invest in a good set of weights.Does anybody use weights? if so what type and is it done in reps or as you are walking?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

"All we have is here and now"
natalie

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi Natalie,

wow you have done so well! I stopped going to the gym 3 weeks ago, and since I stopped going have lost 3 kg, so my home gym is working. I purchased 5kg dumbells and started doing my own weights at home, there are so many different workouts you can do just from one set of dumbells, but admittely I missed using the machines at the gym, so I purchased a multistation gym second hand from ebay which equalled to the same as I would pay for one month at the gym so it has almost paid for itself. So now I go for a walk or bike ride to warm up, then do some exercises with the dumbells then jump on the multistation, with some situps and stretches to finish. I do all this listening to music to motivate me, and this also helps me keep up with having no instructor to pace me.

Return to Exercise Talk