It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 am

Free Newsletter

need some advice

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

need some advice

Postby chubba momma » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Im looking into purchasing one form of exercise equipment for home but have no idea what to look for.

Ideally we would like a treadmill but its too far out of our finances at the moment (there is one at Big W for just under $500 at the moment does anyone know if that ones a good one or not, its still out of our range but no harm in dreaming right :lol: )

So the other option is a exercise bike (they have them in BIGW for $98 ) Has anyone had one of those and how did you ind it to be?

I ne d the cheapest option and we only have whats aT BIGW to choose from right now.

I walk almost every day so i think a bike would be a nice change from that, but what do i need to look for (features etc) and if there was a chioce of bike or cross training thingey (sorry dunno what theya re called) what would be better?

Excuse my ramblings :lol:
chubba momma

Postby Rustie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:35 pm

You could maybe hire one like a bike, treadmill or crosstrainer.
Orbit fitness do it or maybe have a look in the phone book at some hire places. They do them pretty cheap.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:35 am

omg i brought a exercise bike from kmart when they were on special for $48 once. it squeaks a bit, and one of the foot straps snapped in half. :roll: but you get what you pay for i think :) i use it every week and it has a little digital thing on it to tell you the speed and distance. being a single income family this was all we could afford and im grateful for it :)

Postby Misstoodles » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:09 am

I suggest checking out the Quokka.. actually is that only a Western Australian thing? Hmm.. not sure. But like a trading paper, where people often sell things they dont use anymore. Exercise machines often pop up for the obvious reason that alot of people purchase expensive stuff, its in perfect condition still - they just dont use it anymore.

But if you want brand new, then if you get one at Orbit you can pay it off over the course of a year or so. It's how Mum and Dad purchased ours. Three of us use it on a regular basis, so in my opinion its well and truely paid itself off :D

Postby Misstoodles » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:12 am

Or if you don't mind looking really grungy you can wait til the next junk collection, drive through your suburb and keep a look-out for any exercise equipment :P Lol.

>_> That's how I got a better computer monitor than the one we already had..

Postby Fireball » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 pm

I bought an exercise bike a while back. After getting it home found I was 10kg over the weight limit. I thought, "Who cares, I'll be down to that soon with exercise." Well it snapped inside. :oops: We bought a new one but I don't use it. I havent told my husband why. I don't think he knows that I weigh more than the weight limit and he's not supportive so I'm too embarrassed to tell him.

Anyway, to try to help you. I loved the bike. I dont think the fitting matter as much as regular use. A good show on tv is more important. :lol:

My daughter lost 12kg and swore by her exercise bike.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Postby BusyMum » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:13 pm

When I used to go to the gym :oops: my trainer told me that the best peice of equipment you can use is the eliptical striders. I never really used them all that often cause they used to kill my knees. But DP and I looked at them at Big W last week and they are just over $300. With the treadmill, I dont think I would buy one that has manual incline. But then again, you might find its a good thing - if you set it to incline then you have to get off to change it and maybe you wont be bothered to when you are half way through so it will make you work harder :?:
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

Return to Exercise Talk