It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 am

Free Newsletter

Exercise Help..

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercise Help..

Postby roxy09 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:24 pm

I am wanting some exercise tips.

I currently am 15 kgs overweight and have put all this weight onto my stomach, hips, thaighs and buttocks.

What is the best form of exercise for me to do?

All help and tips will be greatly apprecieated.

roxy :) :)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:41 pm

walking!! its free and its fun :)

i started out walking and then built it up to add weights and other forms of cardio. i have a few exercise dvds that i love !!! theyre great, and i do basic exercises like crunches, push ups, squats and lunges.

Postby Roar2Life » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm

To target your thighs and buttocks i'd say squats and cycling is often pretty good for these areas as well.

To target your stomach i'd say the good old sit ups and definitely bridging/planking ( At first planking will be really hard but keep up with it and slowly increase the amount of time you spend in that position and it will build your core muscles really well.

As kate said walking is one of the best and cheapest exercise routines and although not really specific to an area of your body it is a great cardio workout especially when starting out.

Good luck.
In a world full of people only some want to fly...

Postby lisa » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:33 pm

I find stair runs really work this area well. I run up and down a flight of stairs doing one more each day i go. I miss every second step on the way up and it is exhausting and hard but you see results!!

Good luck :)

Postby help6363 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Hey :D

I just kept trying different types of exercises until I found ones that I liked. I can only stick to something when I get some type of enjoyment out of it.

I love RPM class (stationary bike riding), bike riding around the Swan River and weight training.

My taste in exercise has changed over the years. I started out walking with my dog but then my beautiful dog passed away, then I moved onto swimming with a kickboard and flippers at the local pool, then I tried jogging but did not really like it, then I moved onto bike riding.........

Sorry, I know my answer isn't much help!

Oh, I love boxing for fitness......I do it once a week so I don't get too bored with RPM classes.

I think I did hire DVDs (videos back then) from the video store and tried lots of different exercise tapes. I just kept searching for something that I liked doing.

I started off exercising 3 times a week and then increased it.

Postby RayK » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:56 am

Hi Roxy,
Kate is right, walking should be your best friend!
Just make sure you keep your heart rate over 120 beats per minute (Just take your pulse for 15sec and multiply by 4). If you find that walking doesn't get your heart rate high enough just add a few bursts of light running (ie. shuffling) in there. Just start with 10 second bursts and build it up over time.

Good luck,

Return to Exercise Talk