It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:39 am

Free Newsletter

How much exercise

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

How much exercise

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Hey guys. I wasnt sure what part of the forum to ask this question...
Ive joined up to calorie king and i it says they recomend i do 30 mins of exercise a day. But if only doing that 30 mins will i lose weight from doing it or do i need to do more.
They recommend i eat 1810 calories a day but i think i will average around 1000 calories a day if even that. Is that ok to only consume that many calories? And that is assuming i stay being good and dont junk like chips coz they are my biggest downfall lol.
If anyone can help me to understand a bit better it would be great. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby milkyway » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Hey Tanya - I'd be eating more than 1000 cals if I were you as your body will think it's in starvation mode, making weightloss most difficult. minimum should be around 1250, but that depends on your current weight and your weightloss goals.

Someone else posted a great response to something similar here:
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9646

help6363 wrote:A brief explanation of calories.......

TO LOSE WEIGHT

Woman ..... less than 5 kgs
1,250 calories (35g of fat)

Males.... less than 5 kgs
1,500 calories (42g of fat)

Woman ...... need to lose 6-20kgs

Man ........ need to lose 6-20 kgs
1,750 calories (49g of fat)

More than 20 kg
Woman ...... 1,750 calories (49g of fat)
Male ....... 2,000 (56g of fat)

If you're eating less calories than you should be, you'll be doing more harm than good.

In terms of exercise, once again I think it depends on where you're at. For some, a brisk 30 min walk is enough while for others, a one hour high intensity group exercise class is better.

What kind of exercise have you been doing or are you just starting out?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 pm

30 min is a great start to exercise if your body isn't use to exercise but you should up it to 1 hour after a few week's. 1000 calories a day is a bit low to consume your body could go into starvation mode. It's ok to do 1000 - 1200 for one or two day's then bring it back up to 1500 to 1800 like what yu were recconmended. Everyone is different & will lose the weight differently. Dont forget to drink plenty of water exercise & eat right is the key.
Chelle

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:23 pm

I was doing a walk each night with partner for about 20 mins a few times a week. Then winter happened lol. So getting back into it again now. BUt i want to actually get somewhere this time. I guess i just have to find a happy medium with the calories and exercise. I just thought i would check to see if there was a certain way to do it but i guess everyone is different.
i have about 30kgish that i want to lose.
I lost 8 kg doing tony ferguson and a few kg before i started that. I enjoyed tf diet but i want to change my lifestyle and learn to make better choices about my food and exercise and i dont think i will learn that from doing a shake diet.
Thanks for your reply to :D
[/url]

tanya

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:24 pm

One thing i need to do is stop sitting around thinking about it and do it! lol :lol:
[/url]

tanya

Postby JP1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

milkyway wrote:Someone else posted a great response to something similar here:
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9646

help6363 wrote:A brief explanation of calories.......

TO LOSE WEIGHT

Woman ..... less than 5 kgs
1,250 calories (35g of fat)

Males.... less than 5 kgs

Woman ...... need to lose 6-20kgs

Man ........ need to lose 6-20 kgs
1,750 calories (49g of fat)

More than 20 kg
Woman ...... 1,750 calories (49g of fat)
Male ....... 2,000 (56g of fat)

If you're eating less calories than you should be, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Hi milkyway, I know you didn't post the original but thought you may know the answer anyway. Actually I am confused and was wondering if some of those figures above have been reversed maybe OR wrong? (especially the fat intake) OR if I am missing something?

For example I'm a guy, have just over 20 Kgs to lose now but if I use the guide above its telling me to consume 2,000 calories (inclusive of 56g of fat). My first question would be does this include exercise but my second question would be, (having read elsewhere that for me to sustain my current weight I need to consume approx 2,600 calories and no more than 60g of fat) yes I can see that I am benefitting by consuming 600 calories less a day but am concerned this is not really enough (especially with the fat content being only 4g better off) to give me any meaningful weight loss, especially from a fat intake point of view. ie - we know that to lose 1 pound a week we need to consume 3,500 calories so that reduction on the face of it looks acceptable being 4,200 calories and slightly over a pound a week but am still concerned my body fat won't be reduced by much because of only a 4g reduction per day meaning my body fat loss will be under 30g a week (negligible compared to the 20,000g l need to lose.)

Conversely (using the above figures) if I only had 5 Kg to lose I am being told I can cut my calorie intake by an additional 500 calories a day but more importantly cut my fat intake by an extra 14g a day. ie using these figure I'd lose an extra pound a week on the calorie scale (over two pounds in total) and be sure I'm losing body fat because the total saving would be 18g a day and 126g a week (not neglible in comparison to the 5,000g that needs to be lost?)

Can you see my confusion and concern here? What its telling me is a number of things which I don't know are particularly true (maybe someone can tell me.) Firstly that someone with less to lose can lose his weight a lot quicker and I'm not talking about total weight here, am talking about say Kilo for Kilo. Secondly its telling me that a heavier person is being told to eat more fat per day which just doesn't seem right in the whole scheme of things.

Now I also know that a heavier person needs more calories to fuel their bodies at this heavier weight but surely thats the point of wanting to reduce intake? and especially fat intake. I can sort of see why a lighter person would be able to input less calories but for the life of me the introduction of these fat weights have me concerned.

In essence I am concerned about the fat intake in general above as have been led to believe women take 41 grams and men 60 grams which the body can readily burn and the figures above (especially for women) are exceeded meaning perhaps that any weight loss at all may not be body fat.

Hope I have made sense there in my questions and again appreciate it wasn't you that wrote the original.

John
JP1

Postby see.danielle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,
With weight loss and fitness, people look into it a bit more than they have to,.
Counting calories does work, but it can be very time consuming. AND it can work out wrong,, for example, if your wanting to eat something really bad,....u will just cut down on other foods so it fits into your daily calorie intake.

I am a fitness trainer and i recommend A LOT of people to the book "body for life" by bill phillips. Also check out the website http://www.bodyforlife.com

You will see the results are nothing short of amazing, and there is no calorie counting and even a cheat day once a week.

Weight loss shouldnt do your head in, its really quite simple. Hope this helps!
see.danielle

Postby milkyway » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 pm

JP - I have no idea :lol:

I also get confused by the net calories and gross calorie stuff. Anything with numbers in it does my head in - I'm an Arts graduate :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Exercising at home

Postby DChel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:57 am

Hey all, I usually exercise at home for 15-30 minutes a day since I have my baby to watch. I know pilates is a great way to lose weight as I use to be addicted to pilates but pilates goes so slow and it seems to take a very long time to complete thirty minutes of pilates so instead I run in place for 15 minutes, then I do 100 jumping jacks, 100 leg lifts, 100 crunches, 100 twist crunches, 40 push-ups, and 100 squats, The problem is then, that I'm extremely sore for the next two-three days and can't exercise? Any good moves for exercising at home, cardio and strength training moves?
Thanks all!
D
DChel

Return to Exercise Talk