It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 am

Free Newsletter

Losing the beer gut!

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Losing the beer gut!

Postby dannyboi » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there are any specific exercises to lose the fat (and reduce the size) around the abdomen area?
From reading, it seems that the best possible way is to do regular cardio work and lose overall fat. However, until I get to that ideal point is there a specific way of kickstarting the abdomen area?

Thinking that if I can tone my arms (doing weight reps every day or so) I could tone my abdomen then?

Maybe I'm just hoping for too much. *shrug*
- danny
dannyboi

Postby milkyway » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:41 pm

I wish we could spot reduce! But it's just not possible.

If you start doing exercises (such as sit ups, core strength work) then you'll start toning the muscles in your abdomen, but they won't show through until you burn the fat.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Re: Losing the beer gut!

Postby help6363 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:04 am

dannyboi wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there are any specific exercises to lose the fat (and reduce the size) around the abdomen area?
From reading, it seems that the best possible way is to do regular cardio work and lose overall fat. However, until I get to that ideal point is there a specific way of kickstarting the abdomen area?

Thinking that if I can tone my arms (doing weight reps every day or so) I could tone my abdomen then?

Maybe I'm just hoping for too much. *shrug*

I agree with Milkway....we cannot reduce fat in one specific area. However, the good news is cardio can be done and weight can be lost! YAH!!!!

I know you can do this, don't give up! One day at a time, huh?
help6363

Postby help6363 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:06 am

Sorry forgot to say this....... but a belly on a guy is cute! Honestly, it is!

I know that's not what you want to hear but just keep exercsing and eating right and you will make it to your goal! :D
help6363

Postby Chief » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:44 am

help6363 wrote:Sorry forgot to say this....... but a belly on a guy is cute! Honestly, it is!

Haha my Mrs says the same thing, she loves my pot belly, she doesn't even want me to diet. She says my belly makes me more of a man.

She might just be doing the "i love you just the way you are", who knows, i love her heaps anyway.

Yeah it is a bummer about not being able to exercise a certain area to pin point the weight loss. I'm sure that sit - ups would contribute a tiny little bit tho. It would benefit adding sit ups into your workout for sure tho, even if its not to lose weight at least it will tighten the area while your losing the weight.
Yes i'm a bloke
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wr2WOoy/]
[/url]
Chief

Postby dannyboi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 pm

If only all girls thought having a belly was cute... hehe

It's just I was sitting down the other day looking at photos of myself around 2 years ago, and I looked a lot better (me without much of the gut) then. Guess those photos will get me motivated.

Started going back on the dusty old excercise bike to do the cardio work. I actually like doing weights a lot more than cardio work (guess it's the lazy side of me), but it's only helping my arms.

What would be an effective cardio workout? Something that would be easily carried out regulary and wouldn't cause boredom or injury.
- danny
dannyboi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 am

hey dannyboi you can grab yourself some great exercise dvds that target all sorts of things- like i have one that includes ballet which i love and i dont get bored with them. skipping is another good one. remember chris from the biggest loser had a massive gut and he lost it. you can do it too.
kate_turner2000

Postby help6363 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:52 am

dannyboi wrote:If only all girls thought having a belly was cute... hehe

It's just I was sitting down the other day looking at photos of myself around 2 years ago, and I looked a lot better (me without much of the gut) then. Guess those photos will get me motivated.

Started going back on the dusty old excercise bike to do the cardio work. I actually like doing weights a lot more than cardio work (guess it's the lazy side of me), but it's only helping my arms.

What would be an effective cardio workout? Something that would be easily carried out regulary and wouldn't cause boredom or injury.

I will tell you the cardio workouts I like....these may give you some ideas. Everyone's tastes are different......

1. Boxing classes.....I do boxing for fitness, it has different exercises and each station (ie: boxing different bags, skipping, cycling and so forth)

2. RPM or Spinning classes...... stationary bike riding classes

3. Swimming....sometimes I just go and use a kickboard and flippers. They have water aerobics classes too.

4. Martial Arts ...... at least I learn something new whilst getting a workout

5. Grab my bike and ride around the river...... of course, listen to my ipod

6. A DVD ...... I just rented them from the video library until I found one that I liked. I love the Tae Box DVD

7. Kate's idea of skipping is a great one!

8. Going for a walk and jogging at certain parts. I try to challenge myself to run further the next time I do it.

I try to vary my cardio otherwise I get bored too!

I have a DVD called Sweating Buckets....it's a stationary bike riding exercise.

Hope that helps!

Oh....I have to push myself to do weights! WELL DONE ON YOUR WEIGHT TRAINING...... that's great!! :D
help6363

Postby dannyboi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Hey great tips 'help6363'. I really like riding my bike, but I took it out the other day and the seat managed to break off =(
So bike riding is out of the way for a while....

Exercise bike at home seems pretty boring and doesn't feel like it's doing much. Maybe the suggestion of joining a class might help with the lack of motivation on that.

Skipping! Now Kate that's a pretty good idea. I have a skipping rope and it's about time I made good use of it. It's a really good workout and it seems to work.
- danny
dannyboi

Postby Ledzeppelin2007 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:46 am

my mate had quite the gut and he lost heaps of weight, he did it by skipping like 30-60mins a day and doing heaps of sit ups and push ups. He had little abs muscles hidden under all that belly so it's vital that you do cardio to burn the fat off your whole body. Prob stuff you've heard all before :D
Keep it real
Ledzeppelin2007

Postby dannyboi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Once uni exams finish, I'll go back to a proper exercise regime.

Running and skipping for cardio.
And of course, my weights.
- danny
dannyboi

Return to Exercise Talk