It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Free Newsletter

What is Exercise?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

What is Exercise?

Postby Lynda » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Am i exercising when i hang out the washing? cooking, cleaning? Meditating? What exactly is called exercise?
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:57 pm

I would say exercise is any activity which raises your heart rate from resting and requires you to utilise muscle groups. So I would say doing the washing etc is exercise, although a very low intensity and almost incidental variety. I would put meditation in the relaxation basket rather than the exercise basket although it is very good for you.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi Lynda,
I agree with Tegan, one of the most important scientifically proved facts about fat loss is that most people who lose fat and, more importantly, keep it off, have one thing in common: they all exercise. Exercise simply means moving around more. If you are physically active, you will burn up more fat, have more energy and your body will operate more efficiently.
Getting physically fit does not have to involve going jogging or lifting heavy weights.
The four key elements to having a healthy body is good nutrition, movement or exercise, strengh and flexibility
Dolly

Postby Lynda » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:07 pm

I was just putting this alltogether and wondering, i have never noticed my heart rate go up, is it because i don't notice the heart rate, that this is not called exercise. But i thought as i was hanging out the washing how many crunches i was doing for my stomach, just like sit ups except standing. Doing the vaccummeing, dancing to music, making the bed, struggling to lift the mattress to put the sheet under. CLEANING KIDS ROOMS, (must be worth extra points). Meditation with the deep breathing. Walking around the yard watering plants, mowing the lawn.
Lynda

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi Lynda,
first click onto this chart to convert your kilograms to pounds,
http://www.manuelsweb.com/kg_lbs.htm

then click onto this chart it will show you how many calories will be burned up when you do certain activities for 30 minutes (depending upon how many pounds you weigh)
click here - http://www.nutribase.com/exercala.htm
Dolly

Postby Lynda » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:13 am

Thanks Dolly. I converted to pounds, thats a pretty big number, i'm glad were in kilos, doesn't seem so bad. Thanks for your help with all these web sites, i would never find anything like this on my own.
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:04 am

with regards to noticing an increase in your heart rate: Your resting heart rate is when you have been sitting still doing nothing for at least 5 mins (which is what they should make you do to get your resting heart rate and blood pressure at the docs but they very rarely do). When you do something like stand up and hang the washing out, it's not a huge increase, but it does increase a little, which is why sometimes if you get up suddenly from sitting down for a long period, you feel a bit dizzy as your heart rate is low and suddenly all these muscles are active and your heart has to catch up.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby BigM » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I think moving any part of the body can be counted towards exercise, maybe these activities like washing etc. are not as beneficial in optimising exercise as walking or running it is still better than sitting or lying around not doing anything.
BigM

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:03 am

I'll agree with you on that one Big M.
Lynda

Postby frumpy07 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:24 pm

As Dr Phil would say all the incidental exercises like hanging out the washing just help you out a little but should never be counted in your exercise routine or calorie counting.
To lose weight you need to do intentional exercise so that you keep in my mind things like heart rates.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK YOUR BONES, BUT CAKE WON'T HEAL WHAT HURTS YOU.
frumpy07

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:49 pm

I don't know if I agree with Dr Phil about not counting the incidental exercise as part of calorie counting. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to stay alive, even if that is sitting on your bum all day long. So add in the washing, the cleaning, the cooking etc etc, its all extra movement that needs to have fuel intake to be able to do. Ok so you might only need an extra 100 calories or whatever to do those things but your body still requires it.Technically we should all be able to maintain our weight if we eat a healthy balance diet and do incidental exercise. To lose fat we have to do more planned exercise, such as our walking etc. I think most people would find that they can maintain their weight with minimal exercise and healthy eating. But, as I do, most people love their food and like to be a little naughty at times. If that wasn't the case then we would all have model figures! Unless there is a medical problem of course, like Dolly's hyperthyroid. Then what I have just said is all thrown out the window! :shock: Thats my theory anyway!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Return to Exercise Talk