It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 am

Free Newsletter

Exercising without a Gym

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Exercising without a Gym

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 am

Hi all!

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for ways to exercise that don't involve a gym. I can't really afford a membership right now, and over summer the drive will be too far. Any ideas?

Right now, I'm going for push bike rides around the lake when I have time. When I go home for summer, I'm going to go to aquarobics with my mum (it's funny, I'm the youngest by like 20 years!), and I'll see if I can get my sister to go to yoga with me. After summer when I come back to Canberra for uni, I'm going to join a dance school and do 1 or 2 classes per week of jazz, hip hop funk, or maybe even beginners ballet (my mum says she'll shout me that, so I'm alright financially there!)

But in the mean time, anyone got other ideas? I like my exercise fast paced and fun, something that I want to do for a reason other than exercise.
User avatar
rivenriver
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Snowy Mountains

Postby loveat116 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 am

Dancing sounds great! I'd love to do something like that.

Running is great. I like to run outdoors as opposed to the gym, you can breath the fresh air and there is much more to look at. Running outdoors is much harder than running on a treadmill though, but its more rewarding.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
User avatar
loveat116
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Postby oostevens » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:09 pm

wow i would do dance too! if i found somewhere cheap hehe or pole dancing ;) its meant to be good exercise hehe or i would play a sport like volleyball or soccer, or even indoor netball is crazy and fast paced.

you can do bushwalking. my parents a few yrs ago went with this bushwalking group, they do walks, but not just path walks, my parents had to swim through lil rivers and climbing over rocks etc :) more bush bashing like hehe i wanna do that!
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

Image
User avatar
oostevens
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Queensland, AUS

Postby Sas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:55 pm

You could try orienteering? It is really big in Canberra and is a great form of exercise. You can do a mix of run and walk and cause you are looking for control's it breaks it up.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Image
Sas
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Canberra

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Sas wrote:You could try orienteering? It is really big in Canberra and is a great form of exercise. You can do a mix of run and walk and cause you are looking for control's it breaks it up.


Haha - orienteering just makes me think of Inward Bound, the ANU interhall competition. Have you heard of it? I don't think I have the stamina for something like that though!!!
User avatar
rivenriver
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Snowy Mountains

Postby Sas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 pm

rivenriver wrote:
Sas wrote:You could try orienteering? It is really big in Canberra and is a great form of exercise. You can do a mix of run and walk and cause you are looking for control's it breaks it up.


Haha - orienteering just makes me think of Inward Bound, the ANU interhall competition. Have you heard of it? I don't think I have the stamina for something like that though!!!


No I haven't heard of that rivenriver. What is it?

You might be suprised though chickie. The easier courses can be quite short and you can walk and run :) You could always give one a go and if worst comes to worst bail out halfway through...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Image
Sas
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Canberra

Postby Sas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Here is some info anyway (just in case you change your mind :))
http://www.act.orienteering.asn.au/events/

ACT is having a come and try it day this weekend too and it is pretty close to ANU.
http://www.act.orienteering.asn.au/events/?EventID=601
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Image
Sas
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Canberra

Postby milkyway » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:45 pm

I do taekwondo for fun and fitness - I really enjoy it :) But it's expensive :(
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
User avatar
milkyway
 
Posts: 4236
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:11 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14 pm

Sas wrote:
rivenriver wrote:
Sas wrote:You could try orienteering? It is really big in Canberra and is a great form of exercise. You can do a mix of run and walk and cause you are looking for control's it breaks it up.


Haha - orienteering just makes me think of Inward Bound, the ANU interhall competition. Have you heard of it? I don't think I have the stamina for something like that though!!!


No I haven't heard of that rivenriver. What is it?

You might be suprised though chickie. The easier courses can be quite short and you can walk and run :) You could always give one a go and if worst comes to worst bail out halfway through...


:) Inward Bound (or IB as we call it) probably started off as someone's idea of a joke! Teams of 4 are blindfolded, put on a bus with the windows blacked out (in the middle of the night), driven around in circles til they loose all sense of direction, dropped in the middle of nowhere, given a map with an endpoint marked on it, and told to run there. It's a race.

Division 1 run up to 100km, Div7 run up to 20km, and the other divs are somewhere in between. They leave between 7pm and 3am, depending on their div (div1 first, div7 last), after a full day of uni that is. They run all night, and as long as it takes them to get to the endpoint. Most arrive about 3pm the next day. The record for the fastest finish was a div2 team that got in at 6am, but it's not uncommon for teams to take 36 hours to finish. Some end up needing to be rescued. It's insane. It's also the biggest inter-hall sports event of the year at ANU. :)
User avatar
rivenriver
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Snowy Mountains

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sas wrote:Here is some info anyway (just in case you change your mind :))
http://www.act.orienteering.asn.au/events/

ACT is having a come and try it day this weekend too and it is pretty close to ANU.
http://www.act.orienteering.asn.au/events/?EventID=601


Bummer - I'm busy Saturday! It sounds cool though, I'd like to have a go! I'll keep an eye out for other come and try style days. :)
User avatar
rivenriver
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Snowy Mountains

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am

orienteering would be great fun if I had the time around everything else I do!!! LOL. We all know where my preferences lie in non gym exercise :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

User avatar
Butterfly_Dawn
 
Posts: 4151
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Hobart, Tas

Postby Sas » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:30 am

wow! That IB thing sounds nuts!!! Uni students sure are crazy! :)

I spose I should know that though cause I am one :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Image
Sas
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: Canberra

Postby BethyMog15 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:31 pm

I've been a dancer since I was six (for about 8 years now) and I do Jazz but my favorite style is Tap. Tap is fast paced and fun and it teaches you rhythm as well. Plus it doesn't wreck your feet like ballet does and it's mostly inexpensive, you only need to buy shoes once (if your feet have finished growing) because the shoes don't wear out very quickly. If you are wanting to do tap dancing i'd recommend a school that specialises in jazz tap and hiphop over a ballet school that has a tap class, also i'd buy the black lace-up tap shoes over the tan ones with the buckle because they support your feet better

I hope this has been helpful! :P
Weight Feb 07: 77Kilos Weight Nov 07: 61Kilos Just 1 kilo to go until i've reached my goal!
BethyMog15
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia


Return to Exercise Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest