It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Free Newsletter

Which is better?

Anything and everything concerning exercise.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is better?

Postby carleyjt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Is it better to get your heart rate up and keep it up for a while or do little bursts of a higher heart rate?

Postby Kyles » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:17 pm

I have heard that its better to keep your heart rate up for a period of time - especially for fat burning. I understand that you need to have your body moving for at least 10 mins before fat burning begins - so might as well keep the heart rate up for longer to have an effect. :D
Kylie : )

Postby Groovychic » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:58 pm

Well I heard for the best exercise you should get your heart rate up for short bursts during a longer exercise session. So for instance you should go for a walk and add in short bursts of jogging......tried it and nearly died!!!! Personally I just walk for a minimum of 25 mins. That is my short walk. I prefer to go for 50 mins but if I don't have the time then I take the short walk. I did hear also that you have to walk for a minimum of 20 mins for it to start having an effect on your body. But then other professionals say 30 mins a day but it can be in 10 min sessions. So what do you believe. Just do what feels comfortable to you. Listen to your body. I am starting to go back to walking in the evening as well before tea. We've had cooler weather here lately so I have been able to go about 4.30 or 5pm for a 50 min walk. If I can do that a few times a week and walk in the mornings a few times a week I think that is perfectly acceptable. Another thing I did hear is that all the exercise in the world won't make you lose much weight if you don't cut some of the crap out of your diet. But I don't know if I believe that because I did lose 10kgs when I lost weight 5 years ago. I really didn't change my diet that much. The main think I changed was to eating fruit for breakfast, instead of toast or cereal. And I don't think that was the main difference. I think it was more the exercise. So again what do you listen to. I do believe your body is what you should listen to. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:43 pm

it's all a balancing act. Fuel input should equal energy output to maintain weight and energy output sould exceed fuel input to lose it. I guess therre are probably all kinds of tricks to boost it all, but I figure if you just keep to the idea that food should be fuel and that fuel should be burned, then it sould all work out.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby dragonfly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:51 pm

I dont have the patience and neither do my kids for a 1 hour stint of exercise. so for me I am doing 3x20 minutes now, rather than saying I havent got time for 1 hour, I do it in short sessions.

we'll see in a few weeks if its workign or not.
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Return to Exercise Talk