It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:38 am

Free Newsletter

PCOS - does anyone else have it?

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

PCOS - does anyone else have it?

Postby Minni3068 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:20 am

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone else has PCOS? I'm on a weightloss journey - it's a New Year's resolution thing! I've been a 'curvy girl' most of my life & only just been diagnosed with PCOS. Now I know why I've struggled so much to lose weight over the years!

I have stumbled accross a weightloss program that works with PCOS - it's called MassAttack. So far I've lost 2kg ... so far so good.

If there is anyone out there .... perhaps we could buddy up?

:lol:
Minni3068

Re: PCOS - does anyone else have it?

Postby Tummygirl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 am

I was told by my Gyno late last year that I was bordeline PCOS. I was told to eat healthy and excersise and weightloss may not be big amounts like others but your body will know your trying to help it.

I find that my weight goes up and down but atm I more worried about getting my body feeling great and not so puffed all the time. I was put on Loette the mini pill and that has regulated my periods. Just by having a regular period i have noticed massive differences in my body and lossing weight becomes easier every month.

I would suggest seeing your GP and Gyno about weight loss aids if you think you need one because even seeing a nutritionnist may give you the best options.

Good Luck ! :D
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby Tarz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:56 am

What is PCOS?
Tarz

Postby Tummygirl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:15 am

Polysistic Ovary Syndrome
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby Minni3068 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 am

Hi Tummgirl - tha's no good. I've never really understood the concept of borderline PCOS - does that mean you have to wait a little longer for more symptoms to appear? I say this, because that's what I was told & the last few years have been so frustrating! I now understand that the sooner you get onto it the better & it's not a life sentence!

So far, so good with my weightloss - still losing (lost 10kg all up) & my energy is improving. The best part is though, my body hair is not as bad. I don't know about you, but this is one area of PCOS that I find really challenging.

:P
Minni3068

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:09 am

Hi ladies,

I have PCOS, quite severly because of the excess weight I carry. Having said this, PCOS is not an obese side effect. There are plenty of women in the healthy weight range who have PCOS. It's a hormonal disorder and the best way of managing the syndrome is through permanent lifestyle changes like a low G.I. diet and daily exercise. Alot of women who have PCOS are insulin resistant, however many dr's don't link it up, therefore leading to women being tested too late, when the syndrome has already developed.

Many body systems are affected in polycystic ovary syndrome, resulting in several health complications, including menstrual dysfunction, infertility, hirsutism, acne, obesity, and metabolic syndrome. Women with this disorder have an established increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes and a still debated increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

The diagnostic traits of polycystic ovary syndrome are hyperandrogenism ( my gyno explained this to me as an increase in the male hormone) , chronic anovulation ( lack of ovulation ) , and polycystic ovaries.

This for me has been the reason that I havent been able to conceive for the last 8 years. Hence why I am here, not only to get healthy and have the syndrome under control, but to be able to have a beautiful bubba of my own. This is what keeps me going, I can't bear another 8 years without a child, I will go insane.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Bel Diamante » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Yep, full blown PCOS. But i'm leaning ways to not let it rule my life. Has anyone actually fallen pregnant with pcos and being obese? I know i would love nothing other than to be a mum. Haven't started actively trying but I need some hope. My fiance and I are getting married in October and we are going to try for a family straight away.
xx Nic xx
Current Measurements
Start Bust: 133cm Now: 130cm
Start Waist: 127cm Now: 125cm
Start Hips: 148cm Now: 144cm
Bel Diamante

Postby Minni3068 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 am

Hey Niki, yes, I have a friend who fell pregnant with PCOS & she was overweight - although she was working on her diet & life style. She had been trying to conceive fo 6 years. It was because of her that I joined the MassAttack program. She lost weight while she was trying though - 12kg. They say for every 5kg you lose, you increase your fertility chances by up to 10% - or something like that.

The more I learn about PCOS, the more I want to lose weight - and I know now that I really do have to understand what foods I should & shouldn't eat. After working with the MA team, I have learnt that there is much more to losing weight with PCOS than cutting calories and exercising more. I see my weight loss is a reflection of me getting better & getting the PCOS under control.

It still is challenging though - I still crave diet coke!

The good news is that I'm still losing weight - another 3 kg ... YEA!!

Goddess - I wish you luck on your journey. What are you trying at the moment? Perhaps we could share some tips?
Minni3068

Postby Bel Diamante » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Minni3068 wrote:Hey Niki, yes, I have a friend who fell pregnant with PCOS & she was overweight - although she was working on her diet & life style. She had been trying to conceive fo 6 years. It was because of her that I joined the MassAttack program. She lost weight while she was trying though - 12kg. They say for every 5kg you lose, you increase your fertility chances by up to 10% - or something like that.

Oh good, that gives me a bit of hope. Coz i really want to start a family asap, I'm not getting any younger, and neither is Wayne. And I really want to get my PCOS under control.
xx Nic xx
Current Measurements
Bel Diamante

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:04 pm

BD, I know alot of women who have fallen pg whilst having PCOS. SO don't stress about that. However if you are able to lose a few kg's before starting to TTC, it will make your journey so much more easier !

As for us, we're not TTC at the moment, Im concentrating on getting myself A 1 before I even look at putting myself through anymore heartache.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Bel Diamante » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:16 pm

GoddessInside wrote:As for us, we're not TTC at the moment, Im concentrating on getting myself A 1 before I even look at putting myself through anymore heartache.

Same for me, thats why I don't want to start TTC until I'm married, coz I told Wayne I hope to be around 120-110kgs then. I want to feel as if I am physically able to carry a child before I even try. And the bigger I am, well thats not got to be good for the baby.
xx Nic xx
Current Measurements
Bel Diamante

Postby Minni3068 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:55 am

I know what you mean - PCOS has really knocked me around emotionally. I am focused though & so far so good. My periods have finally come back - first one in years! I guess now i have to see if I'm ovulating. But hey, I know it's going to take me time - I'm in for the long haul!

Like you goddessinside, I'm giving myself this year to get better again - it's my 'be nice to me year'.

So far so good on the weight loss - I've lost another 2.5kg. My acne is clearing up - wish the body hair would buzz off though.

cheers, :wink:
Minni3068

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Bel Diamante wrote:Yep, full blown PCOS. But i'm leaning ways to not let it rule my life. Has anyone actually fallen pregnant with pcos and being obese? I know i would love nothing other than to be a mum. Haven't started actively trying but I need some hope. My fiance and I are getting married in October and we are going to try for a family straight away.

i was diagnosed with pcos in 2004. in 2005 i gave birth to my now 2 year old daughter. it is possible to have children with pcos. actually childbirth has helped my pcos considerably. i still have battles with my skin and hair problems though as well as periods sometimes and im on a high dose of contraception pill.

yes i know that having pcos does HINDER weightloss however it can be done. i lost 21kg and i dont let pcos over run my life. there is actually another thread about pcos already on here. have a look around. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 pm

kate_turner2000

Postby Tummygirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:18 am

Well I just went back to my doc about PCOS and I have had in under control for the last three months and getting my period back to normal has been great with the pill im on being Loette. However i have noticed that even though im eating great and excerising that my weight loss becomes very hard. So I researched any possible treatments to assist with weightloss.

I have been placed on Metformin to help reduce my insulin resistance. So I took my first tablet last night and so far so good. Feeling a bit nausous which the doc said is a side affect, but im sure this will pass. Nice to finally have my body in order after the problems i had with my TTOM etc. Plus it has def given me more sight and hope when it comes to having babies.

Kate is right most ladies with PCOS have healthy little bubbas but there is nothing wwrong with loosing weight to give you more chance!!!
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Next

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous