It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 am

Free Newsletter

PCOS - does anyone else have it?

A place for members with more than 10 kg to lose

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PCOS - does anyone else have it?

Postby accs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 am

Hey gals!

i was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001- but have had the symptoms ever since i was very young (got my periods when i was 8!!!)
Anyhow, i am on norimin pill (an anti androgen) and androcur.
My dermatoligist put me on the androcur, it is to try and help with my scalp hair loss and loosing my beard.
I have had laser and BBL on my face.
I had it done at a beautician a few years ago, and at the dermotologist a few weeks ago.
I will now say, if you are going to get it done- do it at the dermotogist- they do a much better job.
I have only had one treatment, and i can not believe the difference!!!
I used to grow facial hair as good as my partner!
My hair on my head was thinning soo bad... i dont know how to describe it!!!
was awful... any how i have a beatiful baby (wasnt TTC- so i am exceptionally lucky!!)
and it seems that pregnancy did wonders- i have my head of hair back
and using hair retrieve (available at chemists) to keep it
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyBT9U2/]
[/url]

start 05/03/09 99.6 size 18
now 98.4 size 18
ultimate (eventually) 50 something kg size 8-10 (want to be 60kg or under)
accs

Postby sassy1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:38 am

Hi,

I've had PCOS for the past 3yrs and it has been the worst 3yrs of my life, I have experienced all symptoms, excessive weight gain, hair loss, feeling very tired, poor concentration and really bad acne.
PCOS has really drained me, I feel really depressed and I have become very reclusive, I try not to leave the house because of the way I look and feel. I've been told I look butch...which hurt like hell.
I've tried everything out there, I even hired a personal trainer who helped me lose 3kg in 5 months, it was not worth the $400 a fortnight.
My symptoms have become increasingly worse so I went to my GP yesterday and he put me on Reductil, it comes with a great starter pack, which includes a trial pack for the week and a calorie count bk, today is my first day on it, I will let you guys know how it goes.
I also found a great book on PCOS by Colette Harris, I just started reading it and it has some great info, a very easy read.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wssEUyO/]
[/url]
sassy1

Postby Chunkylilthing » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post but had to reply. I have PCOS too, I'm 30 and was diagnosed about 5 years ago after struggling with my weight since puberty. I get a bit of facial hair and carry tweezers on me at all times and pluck my chin hair while driving! Year before last I went through a horrible break up, stopped eating almost entirely and lost 25 kilos. But I couldn't starve myself forever and over the last year, eating again, I've regained 15 of it. I follow a low gi, low carb diet and find it helps but it's still much more of a struggle than it seems to be for non PCOS chicks.
I'm also on Metformin, for those struggling to get through the nausea, keep at it. I took 6 weeks to get up to full dosage and was sick almost every day of that. But since then, no problems with it and I notice my blood sugar feels more stable.
My sister has PCOS too, worse than mine and she had a baby last year. The Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne run programs for PCOS girls and run fertility treatments through the same place (Nearly all of the other women in the group my sister was in now have babies too, so it's more than possible for many of us!)
It's lovely to meet so many other women going through the same things, though I feel for you all, PCOS is a rough trot.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFV4kNn/]
[/url]
Chunkylilthing

Postby ciao_bella » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 pm

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago when I was 22. I have had really painful periods since I can remember.
I gained weight quite rapidly over a course of about 2 years, went from 53kg to 75kg when I went travelling in Europe. I've been to a couple of doctors. The first one prescribed me with the contraceptive pill Dianne to regulate my periods which I was no longer getting. This definitely did not agree with me, I went from 65 to 75kg whilst on Dianne. Last year, I decided to go to another doctor who prescribed Metformin for me which has worked wonders. It has regulated my blood sugar levels and subsequently I now get my period monthly. I was lucky enough to not have any symptoms from Metformin (none that I noticed). I am now back down to 66kg and am within a healthy weight range, however I want to get back down to under 60.

Luckily I don't get any of the other symptoms such as acne and hair loss and excessive body/facial hair and my heart goes out to those girls.

Excercise and eating right is definitely the key. Getting started is hard, but persistence pays off.
ciao_bella

Postby BBgal » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi all, I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago when my level of activity had slowed down and gained only a small amount of weight, which made my period stop... but that was enough to start the cycle of more weight gain and all the other symptoms I had all but given up on the idea of being a normal woman again, I hadn't had a period in close to 2 years and had doubled myself in weight. I ended losing close to 23kg after making the decision to change my life in November last year. Now I am having TTOM every month, I never really had bad acne.... but what I did have due to hormones has stopped breaking out. I still have a little excess hair but I am hoping that that will clear up when I get closer to my goal. I would love to fall pregnant but really want to get my new healthier view lifestyle into routine before I have it shuffled by a little bundle of joy. Think that is all about me really good to know Im not alone :)
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby yellowroses » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 pm

I found out about two months ago that I have borderline PCOS in my left ovary. Although, the woman who did the ultrasound told me this but my doctor told me that there was no problem at all - put me on the pill and gave me painkillers for when I have AF. Yep... kinda ridiculous, but I trust the lady who did the ultrasound more than I trust my doctor because she sees these things every day and she showed me all the extra follicles that I have compared to my right ovary. I'm determined to get rid of my excess weight though, PCOS or no PCOS!
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby lolliana » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi Minni, Yes i have PCOS it's hard work trying toget the weight of but it can be done and you can get rid of it! it's a bit of a catch 22 to get rid of it you have to lose weight, but 1 of the symptoms is that it makes it teice as hard to lose the weight lol, can be very frustrating! if you ever wanna chat PM me! good luck with your journey! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrbfe1v/]
[/url]

SW: 99.2kg
CW: 80.6 kg
Goal 1 - in the 70's by 31/7 (not sure im going to make this one!)
GW: 70kg (for now) by Dec 9th 09
lolliana

Postby lolliana » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:24 pm

wow after reading all your posts things are starting to make sense for me now, i have some of these symptoms that you all have described the hair growth etc but never connected it to my PCOS, i have had a light bolb moment!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrbfe1v/]
[/url]

SW: 99.2kg
CW: 80.6 kg
Goal 1 - in the 70's by 31/7 (not sure im going to make this one!)
GW: 70kg (for now) by Dec 9th 09
lolliana

Postby Chiggy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:17 pm

I have PCOS too. The thing I hate most about it is the excess hair, it drives me nuts. I was taking metformin, but stopped because it didn't seem as though it was doing anything for me, maybe it was, but I couldn't see or feel any difference. Anyways, when I went for the ultrasound they couldn't actually see any cysts on my ovaries, yet I have the majority of the symptoms. I am really hoping that as I get closer to my goal weight, the symptoms will disappear (especially the hair :cry: ) and I'll be healthy enough to TTC.
Chiggy

Postby BubbleButt » Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello fellow cysters :D

I was dx with PCOS back in 2001 and have fought every step of the way since to get healthy. Unfortunately its not something we are ever going to get rid of but we can be happy with ourselves and live our lives to the fullest.

I was told point blankly... "you'll always be fat, will always have body hair like a man, be bald by the age 30 & will never be able to conceive children". Hows that for dampening any hopes of finding someone to love you and spend the rest of your life with, creating your very own family? :shock:

A year later I did meet the man of my dreams, fell pregnant almost a year after that (altho miscarried) and found a new determination. I found a new doctor & an online forum for cysters to unite & support one another. Since then I have lost weight, gained some much needed self confidence, ran a support group in Adelaide & given birth to my daughter in November 2008. I am now 31 years of age, still have all of my hair on my head, have less hair on my body & less weight to carry. I know that the chances of my daughter having PCOS too is extremely likely but I now know how to help her on her way & deal with a lot of the symptoms.

It can happen.. you can get healthy with PCOS & if you are one of the lucky ones like me, you can have that much wanted family of your own. I do have friends with PCOS that will never have children for one reason or another & my heart goes out to them, but they haven't let it stopped them from getting on with other facets of their lives & other dreams they wish to make come true.

Good luck to you all & may we all get fit & healthy & kick that PCOS in the butt with a mighty "You will not defeat me!"

Bubble :mrgreen:
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
BubbleButt

Postby Julz » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 pm

I was diagnosed as having 'borderline' pcos 5 years ago, my dr could clearly see see 8 cysts on my ultrasound, telling me that women with 10 or more cysts were diagnosed as having pcos. I was trying to fall pregnant at the time and had been for about 4-5 years but nothing was happening, just very early miscarriages. I got referred to an endocrinologist that put me on metformin to help with weight loss and fertility, primolut to regulate my cycle and chlomid for fertility. Took me a year on these drugs until I fell pregnant with my now 3 year old son and I was weighing about 130kg when it happened. It felt like it was something that would never happen but it finally did, so any ladies trying don't give up hope!
Julz

Postby yellowroses » Wed May 27, 2009 1:01 am

Congrats to all those women who have had children, despite PCOS :) It can happen and that is really heartening.
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby surfchick33 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi there cysters

When I was diagnosed with PCOS I thought that was it for me. I thought I was never going to lose weight and between losing hair and gaining 20 kg , I basically gave up.

I am happy to say, that I have pretty much got everything under control; my weight, hairloss and acne are all doing just fine - I gave up on metformin and did naturally buy seeing a naturopath.

Good luck with your journey and remember you can do it!
surfchick33

Postby DeeEm » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:38 pm

I too discovered I have PCOS though I think it's a mild case.
I would probably have never known if it wasn't for the fact that I was going through the motions of donating eggs and needed to have internal u/s to see if my ovaries were doing what they should. As it turns out they weren't - and some cysts were found.
I have had two children - the first took 12 months to conceive and the second took 4 months. I'm not sure how much (if at all) the PCOS affected those efforts. I guess I'll never know. I do know that I am very blessed to have my babies and thank goodness I was able to conceive. I feel so badly for those of you that are having difficulty TTC.

I've yet to see my GP about it but I will be asking her if PCOS could be the reason why I find it so difficult to lose weight and if it has any bearing on my high BP issues.

Best of luck in your weight-loss and TTC efforts.
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Previous

Return to Curvaceous and Courageous