Hi everyone I'm new here and I've been reading all the stories in these forums and want to congratulate everyone on what a great & supportive site this is. Anyway I thought I'd share my story so far... warning it may be alittle long!
I was pretty fortunate in my early years with my weight I used to swim competively and that always helped keep me fit with training everyday but when I stopped swimming in early highschool and kept eating how I used to when I swam, well the weight starting building up. But by mid highschool I slimmed right down again as I got envolved with netball and that helped to keep it off once more. I guess it was around this time my yoyoing began. After highschool I started in an office job and although I still did a small amout of excercise the weight started to creep back. By the time I was 18 I had ended up around size 16-18 and found myself in a bad relationship and miserable, so things had to change! I left the jerk and ran home to lick my wounds for awhile and focus on getting myself back into shape. Luckily over the next several years my weight fell off rather dramatically with no real effort at all, and met the guy that would end up my wonderful husband. I was back down to a size 10-12 and was looking good but I was feeling horrible. I had no energy, I was tired constantly, I bruised at the slightest bump and my hair was starting to fall out! So off to the doctor I went... I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia (my body won't extract b12 from foods, no matter how many b12 stocked foods I eat). So this explained the very easy weight loss as it is a common symptom. I now had to get b12 injections every 3 months for the rest of my life.
During this time I moved to Emerald and we got married and now my body was repairing itself and getting healthy again I once more started putting on weight, I was size 14 and I was pregnant with our first child. By the time our daughter was born my full term weight was 105kg. I had really put on alot of weight during my pregnancy but hadn't really overendulged. I had craved oranges, so ate alot of them and couldn't stand the smell of meat or even really eat after 3pm as that's when my morning sickness kicked in, so I would often sit down to a huge salad at lunch. It just didn't seem right that I put on so much weight, but I guess my body had been through a rough time and now it was healing as well as growing a new life, it was storing as much fat as it could, just in case!
For the next couple of years although I managed to maintain a size 12-14 I didn't get in a great deal of exercise, we had settled well into the community in Emerald and I was working in a office once more, lots of socialising but not much exercising meant the weight wasn't going anywhere, if anything it was gradually creeping back. Then I fell pregnant with my son. I weighed more this time but this pregnancy ended up mostly baby and by full term I was again exactly what I was with my daughter 105kg. I think after baby I came down to around 90-95kg, not sure can remember.
Now with two littlies in tow I set out to loose my weight once more, I started walking and after a few weeks the weight was very slowly budging but I noticed that my hands where always swelling during the walk. I didn't think too much of it until I was reading a magazine one day about a woman who was experiencing the same thing. So I thought I would mention it to my doctor next visit. My doctor asked me about other symptoms that I had been getting, ones I had also dismissed as nothing to worry about. TTOM had decreased to about 1/2 day each month, I was sweating profusely at times when I shouldn't even be hot, my emotions where all over the place, many many other symptoms but I won't list them all. But the short of it is.. he ran some tests and I had Graves Disease. Graves' disease is a thyroid disorder that also effects your soft organ tissues. Without going into too much detail, real exercise was out for awhile and lots of medication was in
I think at the time I was around 85-90kg. Over the next couple of years I just couldn't budge any weight and it slowly crept on. By the time I was just about in remission from Graves disease it seemed every piece of food I put into my mouth would bloat me, so I started easing off my medication and went to see the doctor again and woot! No more Graves disease, many of the symptoms do remain and I have to be checked for it regulary, there's a 40% chance it will return, but I'm placing my odds in the 60% it wont
So our little family had been through alot during this time, some of my symptoms where not real nice to deal with and it took it total on our marriage and me hubby split up for a couple of months. It was a rough time and I lost about 10kg due to the stress of it all. But thankful we worked it all out and are now much better for it. Life settled back into a normal routine and my work started getting very heavy, I never had much time to exercise and when I did I was too tired too even think about it. Years of working behind a desk, morning teas, socialising and not much exercise took their toll again and although I would have months where I would really get into loosing my weight and maybe drop 10kg or more, I would then return to my old ways and put back on what I lost. I ended up steadily around 90kg and then I gave up smoking
I put on 15kg during the twelve months I stopped smoking and then under alot of stress at work and an upcoming move and a bbq one night, I did a very very very stupid thing and started smoking again.
That pretty much brings me to now... still smoking and the heaviest I've ever been. Soooo no more!!! Last week I started my new lifestyle at 110kg, this week I did my first weigh in 107.4kg and on Monday the smokes are going too! I've done it before I can do it again!